PDA

View Full Version : California gun laws, where are we now?

02-08-2012, 6:32 AM
how close are we to repel the laws which infringe on our 2nd amendment here in California? Does anyone know of any action that is being taken to appeal any of the laws that were put into place? how about any ballot measures or propositions? is there anyone in the state government or anyone in federal congress who is fighting for our rights? how about non profit organizations?

someday I would like to see a repeal of those over reaching laws that clearly impose our right to a 2nd amendment. what I want is to see the laws of California aligned with those of our neighbor states (Nevada and Arizona). so tell me, when will we all finally stand up?

OleCuss
02-08-2012, 6:50 AM
Don't look for a repeal any time soon. Oh, some laws may be struck down by the courts, but that is not the same as a repeal.

There are various legal proceedings going on. The only California law passed last year that doesn't appear to be facing a potential court challenge is the ban on handgun UOC. There is a lawsuit triggered by AB144, but IIRC it doesn't actually try to strike down the UOC ban.

Long gun registration may or may not be challenged in the future. The jurisprudence may or may not develop to make a challenge fruitful.

For repeals we would have to engage in a massive (and very expensive) campaign to educate the voters and cause a radical political shift. The 2A community doesn't have the resources.

monk
02-08-2012, 7:37 AM
Long gun registration doesn't go into effect until 2014. IIRC, there is still time to fight it. Given the speed at which the court system works, I'd like to see this challenged sooner rather than later but I know not what CGF or CRPA are planning and within what time frame.

CAL.BAR
02-08-2012, 7:44 AM
Big leak small bucket. Its only a matter of time. We are treading water at best

Bruce
02-08-2012, 9:16 AM
"Where are now?" you ask.
Depending on which law you're talking about, pretty much the same as it's been since the 1920's,'30's,'40's,'50's,'60's,'70's,'80's,'90's, and 20__'s. There are lawsuits in the courts, but at the glacial pace the courts operate at, no changes will occur any time soon. Since the legislature can write and pass laws faster than the courts can, or will, hear objections expect things to get worse.

CessnaDriver
02-08-2012, 9:24 AM
Just remember that outside of California we are winning.
That rising tide can help us here in time.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/images/right-to-carry-history.gif

NotEnufGarage
02-08-2012, 9:53 AM
how close are we to repel the laws which infringe on our 2nd amendment here in California? Does anyone know of any action that is being taken to appeal any of the laws that were put into place? how about any ballot measures or propositions? is there anyone in the state government or anyone in federal congress who is fighting for our rights? how about non profit organizations?

someday I would like to see a repeal of those over reaching laws that clearly impose our right to a 2nd amendment. what I want is to see the laws of California aligned with those of our neighbor states (Nevada and Arizona). so tell me, when will we all finally stand up?

It's customary when joining a forum to do a little looking around before pummeling the board with questions.

Everything you ask about is available to you. Spend a few days reading the CGF Wiki (link at top). See what legislation and court actions are pending. You can read about past successes and failures on both sides.

Welcome to the board.

02-08-2012, 2:02 PM
It's customary when joining a forum to do a little looking around before pummeling the board with questions.

Everything you ask about is available to you. Spend a few days reading the CGF Wiki (link at top). See what legislation and court actions are pending. You can read about past successes and failures on both sides.

Welcome to the board.

thanks for the welcome

this is just all very frustrating to me when I see how much attention something like prop 8 gets when california is clearly infringing on our right to own firearms. if you look at;

http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard/CA

it clearly shows as California being the most gun liberal state in the country. its gut wrenching to see how bad its actually become in a very short period of time.

has the NRA just given up on California?

johnny_22
02-08-2012, 2:12 PM
Probably not a surprise to anyone. So, MA has a safe handgun list, as well. But, MA requires you to get a license to purchase a gun. Safe handgun test is not the same.

NJ requires a permit for the police for every firearm purchase, before, you even look at them. Much worse than California.

I saw some negative posts above ignoring the fact that I have two AR-15s (featureless) in my safe that would not have been there without the pain and suffering of the early adopters in 2005. We are winning.

The best comparison I have seen from the smartest people in the room is the Civil rights movement. Centuries of bad laws took 50+ years to overturn. We are talking about less than one century of bad gun law in California. It will be faster.

CAL.BAR
02-08-2012, 2:19 PM
Probably not a surprise to anyone. So, MA has a safe handgun list, as well. But, MA requires you to get a license to purchase a gun. Safe handgun test is not the same.

NJ requires a permit for the police for every firearm purchase, before, you even look at them. Much worse than California.

I saw some negative posts above ignoring the fact that I have two AR-15s (featureless) in my safe that would not have been there without the pain and suffering of the early adopters in 2005. We are winning.

The best comparison I have seen from the smartest people in the room is the Civil rights movement. Centuries of bad laws took 50+ years to overturn. We are talking about less than one century of bad gun law in California. It will be faster.

The fact you have an OLL BB AR has NOTHING to do with the State backing down or stopping the inexorable march towards limiting your 2A rights. OLL's etc. are a function of the market "working around" sloppy legislative drafting. OLL laws can (and most likely will) be tightened. NO court St. or Fed. has yet said you have a 2A right to an AW etc. The STATE will ALWAYS have the right to make "reasonable regulations" as to firearms in their state.

johnny_22
02-09-2012, 7:13 AM
The fact you have an OLL BB AR has NOTHING to do with the State backing down or stopping the inexorable march towards limiting your 2A rights. OLL's etc. are a function of the market "working around" sloppy legislative drafting. OLL laws can (and most likely will) be tightened. NO court St. or Fed. has yet said you have a 2A right to an AW etc. The STATE will ALWAYS have the right to make "reasonable regulations" as to firearms in their state.

No law change, but, there was a house cleaning at the "Bureau" of Firearms because of the sloppy handling of the OLL situation. District Attorneys were told by the DOJ that they could prosecute on sight. They were wrong and the DOJ backed down.

You joined Calguns in 2007. You must remember some of this.