PDA

View Full Version : HRA Service Grade M1 Garand from the CMP

dlkk
02-07-2012, 8:44 PM
Timeline:
1/11/12 Sent out paper work USPS priority mail.
1/13/12 Received by CMP
1/19/12 Got email, forgot proof of Citizenship. emailed scan of Passport.
1/19/12 Return email from CMP, order going to sales.
2/01/12 Email, Rifle being sent.
2/02/12 Received Garand via Fedex.
Anyone on the fence about ordering, don't wait do it now. It seems like the SG rifles they are sending out now are believable. I put a sticky asking for a USGI stock and I got it. When I looked up my order in the e store, there was a note about my request.

The one I got is a 476xxxx. Muzzle is 1+ Throat is 2+. Part wise, SA bolt, op rod, trigger group, hammer. Barrel is HRA, date matches receiver and in the white. Stock is in very nice condition, a few dings here and there.
There is a fair amount of cosmoline on the stock and internals.

I have a few questions you guys can answer.
It has a high number of SA parts, is this normal?
It doesn't seem like it been fired much, not much wear on receiver or op rod.
But the bolt has the park wearing off around the lugs.

dlkk
02-07-2012, 8:50 PM
pics removed

Javi
02-07-2012, 8:54 PM
Awh, man...Want! That HRA looks good. I'm not sure whether to get a S.A. or an HRA since I want to stick with one for a good while.

rodngun762
02-07-2012, 8:58 PM
Wow that is a fantastic looking rifle. Great stock.

And you got it in less than a month!? That's much shorter than what I have to wait for my M1 Carbine I purchased on consignment the other day... 30 day waiting period PLUS 10 day "cooling off". :mad:

flak88mm
02-07-2012, 9:00 PM
Why do Winchester Garands sell out so fast?

SKSer45
02-07-2012, 9:05 PM
:Ivan:

oftenindeed
02-07-2012, 9:20 PM
Awh, man...Want! That HRA looks good. I'm not sure whether to get a S.A. or an HRA since I want to stick with one for a good while.

I got an SA and am glad I did. I was lucky enough to visit the site of the old armory about the time I got the rifle (new SA guns are from a private co in IL, not Springfield, Mass). The history that accompanies the SA is pretty amazing. First US Gov Armory. Refined the idea of interchangeable parts. Mechanized production. Garand himself lived there and developed the rifle there. Closed in 1968. Pretty cool stuff. You can check out more at the National Park Service's website.
Plus, on top of all of that SA guns have the chance of coming with a WW2 receiver. HRA were all postwar as far as I know.

savasyn
02-07-2012, 9:32 PM
Wow, beautiful stock (and rifle overall)!! Very nice!

I just got my SA service grade last week and cleaned it up this weekend. My metal is in similar condition to yours, thought the wood is not as clean.

I also have an HRA from a few years ago. Kinda funny that it pretty much only has receiver and barrel from HRA while the rest of the parts are SA while my new SA is the opposite. I suppose I could swap all the parts into each other, but I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I'll most likely leave them as they are. The HRA shoots like a champ, so I'd hate to mess with it.

Because they are a lot less common and are considered more desirable. They are priced higher but that doesn't stop people from snatching them up.

flak88mm
02-07-2012, 9:34 PM
Why are Winchesters more desirable? I read in previous threads and internet it is because of the quality and how it was made?

rodngun762
02-07-2012, 9:45 PM
Why are Winchesters more desirable? I read in previous threads and internet it is because of the quality and how it was made?

SUPPLY AND DEMAND... fewer production numbers. Also name novelty and recognition. That element is more apparent in M1 Carbine pricing where winchester was the 2nd biggest manufacturer yet still commands a premium. It doesn't really have much to do with perceived quality that I am aware of.

Because Winchester was the "gun that won the west" with its level action rifles, the brand is quintessentially American; people like having a Winchester produced war rifle.

Javi
02-07-2012, 9:51 PM
I got an SA and am glad I did. I was lucky enough to visit the site of the old armory about the time I got the rifle (new SA guns are from a private co in IL, not Springfield, Mass). The history that accompanies the SA is pretty amazing. First US Gov Armory. Refined the idea of interchangeable parts. Mechanized production. Garand himself lived there and developed the rifle there. Closed in 1968. Pretty cool stuff. You can check out more at the National Park Service's website.
Plus, on top of all of that SA guns have the chance of coming with a WW2 receiver. HRA were all postwar as far as I know.

I'm leaning more towards S.A. of course because of their history. All said n' done, I do want a rifle in good condition that shoots well! :) More than manufacturer, post-war/war, etc. Really wish I didn't need new tires :(

big103
02-07-2012, 9:51 PM

Man nice grand with original wood nice score. The SA parts is normal in a service grade rifle. Part were replaced or swapped for what ever reason.

The Winchester were only made during WWII. So with lower numbers plus Winchester name, that`s why prices are higher and people want them. IHC grands are even harder to find.

mud99
02-07-2012, 10:30 PM
I put my application in the mail yesterday for two service grade SA, we'll see how long it takes for them to show up.

Since you just bought it, any leads on safe 30-06 ammo for a reasonable price?

SideWinder11
02-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Yours looks like the SA I got from them. The USGI wood was perfect as was the blueing. Looked almost new.

Congrats you lucked out!

pro-nra
02-07-2012, 11:08 PM
As already been mentioned above, because of low numbers. Most dis not survive WWII and lots that did survive was eaten by Bill Clinton Captain Crunch during the 90s.

The opposite is true. WRA made the ugliest Garand ever. You can tell a WRA from rough machining marks on practically all the parts they made. The most beautiful Garands are the HRAs, post war SAs, IHCs and at the very bottom WRAs. However if need be, you can use a WRA parts as a file.:D So if you want rarity then WRA but if you want a flat out gorgeous rifle, get an HRA with an LMR barrel.

stevie
02-08-2012, 3:47 AM
Nice Rifle....

Orlando
02-08-2012, 5:13 AM
Since you just bought it, any leads on safe 30-06 ammo for a reasonable price?

You wont find M2Ball ammo any cheaper than through CMP

joefrank64k
02-08-2012, 5:55 AM
You wont find M2Ball ammo any cheaper than through CMP

Check...about .50/round shipped.

joefrank64k
02-08-2012, 5:56 AM
Man, that's a nice looking Garand!

Eljay
02-08-2012, 7:16 AM
Another really nice one! They've been on a roll lately...

Caststeel
02-10-2012, 12:12 PM
dikk -- Sweet
Had similar good experience with CMP on a Special. About three weeks from application to receiving. Beautiful piece. Shoots goo-ood!

Kodemonkey
02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
You've got some cleaning to do! Awesome Garand. I went shooting with my buddy and he thought my field grade Garand shot better than his M1A.

There's nothing like the sound of Garand ping.

Blitzburgh
02-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Wow... very very nice!

I bought one several years ago, I really need to get off my duff and buy a few more. These wont' last forever.

I need to remind myself that when I first learned of the CMP that the 1903's were still plentiful, available in both types of stocks - and well, now they aren't are they?

EM2
02-10-2012, 5:37 PM
That is a nice lookin rifle.

I got a M1 Carbine a from the CMP a couple of years ago and a 1903 Springfield before that.
I got my SA M1 Garand a long time ago when they were $310 just before the price went up to $400.

mls343
02-10-2012, 7:31 PM
Saweet! Very nice rifle.

Just in case there are some people on the fence, this really is the golden age of M1 Garands.

If you have even an inkling, do check out the CMP.
www.cmp.org

Again, very nice rifle!

dlkk
02-10-2012, 8:53 PM
Thanks for the nice comments.

I really wasn't ready to buy a Garand, but knowing how nice the SG are right now. I decided to get one, who knows how long they will be this nice.

My father bought a SG HRA 467xxxx about 4 yrs ago, and while nice, it not in the same league as the one I got.

I want to remove the cosmoline from the stock, but I don't what to change the color.
Any ideas?

mls343
02-11-2012, 6:51 AM
Hair dryer, lots of rags, and elbow grease. Lots of different ways to remove the cosmo, but the old fashioned way works the best for me. Besides, the Wife really appreciates it when the hair dryer gets used in this way... Really! :-)

Pete1979
02-11-2012, 7:42 AM
As already been mentioned above, because of low numbers. Most dis not survive WWII and lots that did survive was eaten by Bill Clinton Captain Crunch during the 90s.

The opposite is true. WRA made the ugliest Garand ever. You can tell a WRA from rough machining marks on practically all the parts they made. The most beautiful Garands are the HRAs, post war SAs, IHCs and at the very bottom WRAs. However if need be, you can use a WRA parts as a file.:D So if you want rarity then WRA but if you want a flat out gorgeous rifle, get an HRA with an LMR barrel.

+1, Mine is an HRA with an LMR barrel. Just fit it into a new Boyds stock. Most of the parts are Springfield, bolt, op rod but the trigger group is WRA.

EM2
02-11-2012, 7:53 AM
...If you have even an inkling, do check out the CMP.
www.cmp.org...

Hmmmm wrong link

Here ya go

Civilian Marksmanship Program
http://www.odcmp.com/

Rifle sales
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm

Kauf
02-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Whats your serial number? My HRA is 5,624,3xx you close?

dlkk
02-11-2012, 1:34 PM
Whats your serial number? My HRA is 5,624,3xx you close?

47632xx

mls343
02-11-2012, 2:34 PM
Sorry about he wrong website for the CMP. for some reason, I always do that?

Kauf
02-11-2012, 3:47 PM
47632xx

Oh duh its in the OP haha :facepalm: