IrishPirate
02-07-2012, 5:33 PM
Ja, das ist good!!

Latigo
02-07-2012, 5:41 PM
Sag nur! :D

1-M-42
02-07-2012, 5:41 PM
Latigo, how many shooters generally? By looking at the pics it looks like a mix of battle sights and dioptors, do you have a guess as to how many shoot (percentage wise) with standard iron sights?

SKSer45
02-07-2012, 5:51 PM
There it is!!! HAR HAR!!!! me and blitz are next! but damn those guys look seasoned...and some what hardcore....

rojocorsa
02-07-2012, 5:51 PM
I used to live in the Central coast, in Monterey. Carmel was relatively close, and I know they didn't actually shoot there--but I never knew the local SRC was that big of a deal!

This is just making me go want to shoot my own SR more!

Latigo
02-07-2012, 6:03 PM
1-M-42, I've invited one of the charter members of the Carmel club to come here and answer questions. I've never been there. We donate Swiss Products prizes each year for the first three placers in each of three events, 9 all told.
He'll be here at some point.

Buerki1
02-07-2012, 8:31 PM
1-M-42, Typically we get 20-30 shooters at a match. For the Schuezenfest we tend to have a few more. I would say about 3-4 shooters use match sights with the rest using a variety of different diopters. I've seen some shooters do extremely well with battle sights but I would say the highest scores come from shooters using diopters.

Please take a look here for further information:

www.carmelgunclub.com

and

feldschiessen.us

Buerki1

Buerki1
02-07-2012, 8:31 PM
1-M-42, Typically we get 20-30 shooters at a match. For the Schuezenfest we tend to have a few more. I would say about 3-4 shooters use match sights with the rest using a variety of different diopters. I've seen some shooters do extremely well with battle sights but I would say the highest scores come from shooters using diopters.

www.carmelgunclub.com

and

feldschiessen.us

Buerki1

SKSer45
02-07-2012, 8:35 PM
yay I am using Iron Sights....(screwed) O well least I can shoot my k31 :P

1-M-42
02-07-2012, 8:45 PM
Buerki1- Thank you very much for the info. I'm looking forward to coming over this year, I've been lurking on the website for quite awhile. By that time I'll hopefully have one of my K31s set up with the diopter sights. Look forward to meeting everyone spending to quality shoot time.

CSACANNONEER
02-07-2012, 8:50 PM
yay I am using Iron Sights....(screwed) O well least I can shoot my k31 :P

You're not screwed. You'll be gaining experience and trigger time that the rest of us won't. You'll see how the game is played and get an idea of what equipment might help you and what not to waste money on. Go and have fun. Nothing else is important as long as you are safe and having fun.

SKSer45
02-07-2012, 8:55 PM
This is true CSCA...I mean I take pride in my usage of Iron sights. Just really feels intimidating or anxious knowing how much those DIOPTERS have such an impact on scores and tourney places. I do plan on having fun and getting some experience. Never ever shot in a match before.

CSACANNONEER
02-07-2012, 9:21 PM
Just learn to crawl before you learn to walk or run. You'll be a better shooter if you do what you're doing than if you just think that spending money on stuff will make you win. True, the higher ranking shooters will probably have diopter sights and a lot of equipment. But, that's not what makes them great shooters. Experience and skill are the big things that money can't buy. Once you have a little of each, you can start chasing those better scores by spending a lot on equipment to help you shoot a little better. But, 95% of your score will be due to your experience and skill.

Pthfndr
02-07-2012, 9:47 PM
JBut, 95% of your score will be due to your experience and skill.

So true

SKSer45
02-07-2012, 10:31 PM
So true

I see...well my experience with k31 is about 1%...ehhh now if it was my hunk of junk SKS' that's different lol.

I am excited...just nervous...and that fact I probably be the youngest cat out there (compared to all the older timers) and that is a bit intimidating for me. Knowing these guys been shooting longer than I have been a live especially if he has a k31 and Swiss flu. I mean being 26 and shooting mostly in the Military for 4 years and MAYBE 2 years as civilian is way different than a tourney I would think.

Tanner68
02-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Doesn't anyone else wish the cameraman could have framed that first picture a little better?

Latigo
02-08-2012, 6:06 AM
I agree Tanner. You can hardly see anything of the blonde lady at the bottom.:D

CSA, everything you've posted here is dead on and should be actionable for SKSer. :D

SKSer, don't (buck buck) be (baGAWK!) shy about shooting alongside those folks.:D All of them are friendly, ready and willing to help you get a foot in the door. You're going to be surprised at how quickly you can become proficient with your k31. I'm betting that if you persue this, it's going to become your favorite rifle, and I mean for long distance shooting too.
Little known fact is that the k31 is expected to perform at long range. Look at the range of your rear sight, and........ Why else would we have produced a 1,000 yard Diopter?:D

Latigo
02-08-2012, 6:10 AM
SKSer, this is one of our k31s set up for long range shooting. Does it really perform? :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/fulldress-1.jpg

CSACANNONEER
02-08-2012, 7:05 AM
I see...well my experience with k31 is about 1%...ehhh now if it was my hunk of junk SKS' that's different lol.

I am excited...just nervous...and that fact I probably be the youngest cat out there (compared to all the older timers) and that is a bit intimidating for me. Knowing these guys been shooting longer than I have been a live especially if he has a k31 and Swiss flu. I mean being 26 and shooting mostly in the Military for 4 years and MAYBE 2 years as civilian is way different than a tourney I would think.

I would not worry about being intimidated at all. When I go to matches, I feel like I'm competing against myself and, as long as I do better than last time (shooting conditions have to be taken into account), I'm a winner. After several matches in a specific catagory or type of shooting, you'll start understanding how to compare your scores with other people's scores and figure out how you are really doing.

While I've competed in various types of shooting sports over the years, my first 1000 yard FCSA match was intimidating to me. I'd never seen a 1000 yard range before, I had only fired 9 rounds of 50BMG in my life and I did not know a sole at the match. I drove from LA County to 25 miles north of Reno not knowing what to expect but, I had realistic goals. My goal was to keep MOST (not all) of my record rounds on the 6 foot by 6 foot paper. That's what I did. I placed last or next to last in every catagory. But, I had fun, learned a lot and made new friends. After a few more matches, I've learned to shoot a little better and sometimes I can even keep all my record rounds on paper now. So, just relax, have fun and learn as much as you can.

SKSer45
02-08-2012, 8:22 AM
gKosmXx1gkc

hey now...nobody calls me...hehe

and to answer that question yest that rifle looks like it can shoot the nuts off a nat at 1,000 meters! the Bipod Diopter, muzzle break just look awesome and looks like they would work well in a match.

I am just going in naked with my mitts and witts.

Latigo
02-08-2012, 8:26 AM
Very glad to hear you're going! BTW.... That longrange setup isn't match leagal except in milsurp open matches. One thing it will teach you to do is gain confidence in long range shooting. Once you're comfortable with it, remove the Damper and Bipod. Now you're legal.
Of course you can substitute a scope for the Diopter.

6mmintl
02-08-2012, 8:41 AM
I did not hear anyone mention the Vetterli or Peabody swiss rifles?

You can also shoot an NRA match rifle but will need to score higher to qualify.

Ill be shooting my 1869/77 swiss peabody again this year.

a1c
02-08-2012, 8:48 AM
Hmmmm... I need to get myself another K31 and fit it with diopters... Damn you people!

17+1
02-08-2012, 8:50 AM

I've seen some of the Swiss Rifle Club guys at the Sunnyvale small bore silhouette match and remember there being a few younger guys.

You're right about the military to a certain extent though; a lot of what they taught you isn't going to be applicable in target shooting. Even my friends fresh out of USMC infantry (and other branches) don't seem to know fundamentals like follow through and trigger control...I don't know if it wasn't taught or if they weren't listening, but I have never been impressed by their shooting. Put them in a combat environment though and they'd probably do just fine. ;)

SKSer45
02-08-2012, 9:20 AM
I've seen some of the Swiss Rifle Club guys at the Sunnyvale small bore silhouette match and remember there being a few younger guys.

You're right about the military to a certain extent though; a lot of what they taught you isn't going to be applicable in target shooting. Even my friends fresh out of USMC infantry (and other branches) don't seem to know fundamentals like follow through and trigger control...I don't know if it wasn't taught or if they weren't listening, but I have never been impressed by their shooting. Put them in a combat environment though and they'd probably do just fine. ;)

actually 17+1 you are spot on. Yeah the do teach us and I remember my PMI's teaching that us at Infantry school and Boot camp, how ever when you have a blood thirsty Drill Instructor breathing down you neck don't really listen well lol.

Plus now these days its all about a red dot scope and such. It took me a while to adjust back to good old iron sights.

Latigo
02-08-2012, 9:25 AM
Vetterli?? You mean like this?? :D I converted my sweetheart to centerfire.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/IMG_3937.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/IMG_3934.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/IMG_3935.jpg

We'll cover them at a later time.

17+1
02-08-2012, 10:07 AM
actually 17+1 you are spot on. Yeah the do teach us and I remember my PMI's teaching that us at Infantry school and Boot camp, how ever when you have a blood thirsty Drill Instructor breathing down you neck don't really listen well lol.

Plus now these days its all about a red dot scope and such. It took me a while to adjust back to good old iron sights.

My wife had class with a few guys on GI bills last semester and they were going off about their red dot sights..."wherever I put that dot is where my bullet is going to go". My wife told them, well sure, with one type of ammo, at a set distance, with set weather conditions...that is true. :p

glennsche
02-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Ja, das ist good!!

the swiss would say "ja das isch ja guet!" :)

bruceflinch
02-08-2012, 1:57 PM
Ja, das ist good!!

German for : Let's not invade Switzerland...:D

When is this match, BTW?

Latigo
02-08-2012, 2:37 PM

www.carmelgunclub.com

and

feldschiessen.us

Buerki1

Check this one. :)

0321jarhead
02-08-2012, 2:58 PM
Is the Swiss surplus GP11 ammo permitted for the match?

Latigo
02-08-2012, 3:08 PM
That's what they generally shoot. Buerki will probably come along this evening to fill you in on questions. I'm not sure what they do in California, but it's likely what the rest of us do. GP11:)

OpenSightsOnly
02-08-2012, 3:28 PM
In Southern California, if the ammo sticks to a magnet regardless if the core is lead is nonetheless a no-no since the steel jacket is equated to AP rounds and/or a fire hazard.

Some ranges do not allow steel jacketed ammo while some places do allow it during the Winter season, when it rains a lot, that is. Well, lately it hasn't :eek:

That's what they generally shoot. Buerki will probably come along this evening to fill you in on questions. I'm not sure what they do in California, but it's likely what the rest of us do. GP11:)

CSACANNONEER
02-08-2012, 3:34 PM
In Southern California, if the ammo sticks to a magnet regardless if the core is lead is nonetheless a no-no since the steel jacket is equated to AP rounds and/or a fire hazard.

Some ranges do not allow steel jacketed ammo while some places do allow it during the Winter season, when it rains a lot, that is. Well, lately it hasn't :eek:

While this is true at public MOST (not all) public ranges, there are also many private ranges that do not monitor or care about steel jacketed or steel cored ammo.

Latigo
02-08-2012, 3:34 PM
Aren't private ranges exempt?

Beat me to it CSA. :D

Blitzburgh
02-08-2012, 3:46 PM
Is the Swiss surplus GP11 ammo permitted for the match?

The Carmel Gun Club Swiss shoot is GP11 ONLY. At least that's what their website says.

I sure hope it's that way being that I don't handload as of yet and just bought 1/2 a boat load of GP11.

I'm short on time right now, but I'm going to put together a number of questions for Buerki1 tonight.

I am SO glad that he is here, thanks AGAIN Latigo!

:)

Blitzburgh
02-08-2012, 3:50 PM
German for : Let's not invade Switzerland...:D

When is this match, BTW?

March 17th. There are other matches off in the future but I want to get as many under my belt as I can.

I have no delusions of placing high in the scoring (don't tell SKSer45) so after as much practice and trigger time as I can possibly get in, plus as many matches as I can possibly go to, I'm hoping to place well by the end of this year.

I am just itching all over for one of those Swiss medals, I can hardly stand it right now.

OpenSightsOnly
02-08-2012, 3:54 PM
Opps, yeah, what I meant is the public range . . .

0321jarhead
02-08-2012, 5:50 PM
The Carmel Gun Club Swiss shoot is GP11 ONLY. At least that's what their website says.

I sure hope it's that way being that I don't handload as of yet and just bought 1/2 a boat load of GP11.

I'm short on time right now, but I'm going to put together a number of questions for Buerki1 tonight.

I am SO glad that he is here, thanks AGAIN Latigo!

:)

I must of overlooked that on there web sight about ammo. Thanks!

0321jarhead
02-09-2012, 8:50 AM
I had contacted V.P. John concerning match ammo. They do use and sell the GP11 at the matches.

bruceflinch
02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
March 17th. There are other matches off in the future but I want to get as many under my belt as I can.

I have no delusions of placing high in the scoring (don't tell SKSer45) so after as much practice and trigger time as I can possibly get in, plus as many matches as I can possibly go to, I'm hoping to place well by the end of this year.

I am just itching all over for one of those Swiss medals, I can hardly stand it right now.

So how far a drive is that for you guys? Driving up Friday night?

SKSer45
02-09-2012, 3:56 PM
So how far a drive is that for you guys? Driving up Friday night?

Its quite a bit. Something like two hours or such. Either way looking forward to it, I mean just imagine if by some miracle and grab home a medal by using iron sights?

Now I do have a silly question...is is just one medal? or if you get a certain score you get one?