PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Loader for Boar, suggestions please

Super Spy
02-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I want to try hunting boar with a Muzzle Loader. Most of the offerings I see use 209 primers and are .50 Cal. I'd prefer a lesser expensive one as I have no idea if I'm going to like this and do it a lot, so I'd prefer not spend $700 and do this once, when I could spend $200-300 and do the same thing. Cabela's offers a bunch of choices and I can even get into a TC for the low 300's.

Please suggest a good gun <$350 and good bullets (I heard the TC saboted bullets don't expand) and any other pointers or tips. I've never shot a muzzle loader in my life, so I'm pretty green in this field.

Thanks!

Argonaut
02-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Muzzle loaders are very powerful and more than up to the challenge of wild boar. They are generally shorter range rifles than a modern high power rifle but are accurate and effective. Bullet expansion is less important when you are shooting the size bullets they use. I shoot a 54 Thompson Renegade, The 50 calibers have a larger variety of sabots available today and might have some advantage. 209 Primers are not legal for hunting with "primitive" weapons everywhere but they work well. You can't beat the quality of the Thompson Center guns, Good used ones are always available in your price range. There are adapter kit to 209 primers available for most everything so you can change back and forth is you need to. My brother had a misfire with his standard cap rifle while shooting an elk last year, Misfires are less common with the modern primers. I hate Pyrodex propellant an use exclusively the real black powder, I think it ignites better than the Pyro and is a little more powerful......but there is a lot of conversation about it....The stuff smells terrible,

Super Spy
02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Any suggestions on where to look for a used one? The marketplace here is great for AR's and AK's but lacks breadth at times...

Argonaut
02-07-2012, 11:29 AM
You can buy them on EBAY.......People sell the stock and barrel separately to get around the rules.

Super Spy
02-07-2012, 1:22 PM
Any good blackpowder forums you can suggest? I appreciate your feedback but so far this is a pretty quiet thread. I did get 1 PM with an offer to sell, but it's not local, and I know nothing about what to look for in a used BP rifle.

Divernhunter
02-07-2012, 3:54 PM
My expeirence has shown me to use the Barnes sabot bullets. I have used the mag sabots with the 250gr barnes combo with the large open hollow point bullets. The t/c rifles are good. I used pryodex and standard muzzle loader caps with no trouble. I have taken several deer with them and they went down like struck by lightning. So did the ones my buddy shot. The lead bullets in sabots or conicals and such did not work as well. Get the gun of choice(your choice) in 50cal and load it with the barnes saboted open hollow point bullets and you are good to go.

0321jarhead
02-07-2012, 4:26 PM
Not to sound funny but, I have thought about going out pig hunting, though I never have, with my Lyman .50 cal Hawkins Great Plains. But, from reading Cal. Dept. of Fish & Game, if I recall, you can't have a back up side arm. Has anyone tried pigs the way I am curious to do?

Trapper
02-07-2012, 4:39 PM
I've taken pigs and deer with my TC Omega shooting a 250gr Hornady and with a 250gr Barnes. I keep a couple speed loaders in my pack along with cleaning solvent and extra patches. As with any type of hunting you will want to get as close as possible and wait for a good clean shot. Modern in-line muzzle loaders can be very accurate if you take the time to find the right bullet and powder combo for your rifle.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-07-2012, 7:35 PM
You can look on Gunbroker. You can normally pick up frontstuffers for under $100. I think I paid $75 for my .54 caliber percussion hawkin rifle. I know you can get some really nice ones for well under $200.

As for carrying back up, unless it is muzzleloader-only season, you can carry whatever you want. And during muzzleloading season, you are not allowed to carry another firearm that can otherwise legally take large game. Since you are not allowed to use a percussion revolver to take large game, it doesn't fall under that prohibition. And a .44 Remington 1858 is plenty of backup in my book.

-Mb

Super Spy
02-07-2012, 8:46 PM
Interesting discussion regarding backup. I was pondering that myself. I thought about carrying my .45 concealed (perfectly legal while hunting) and just keeping quiet about it, figuring I'd rather have it if the need arose. I'm brand new to shooting muzzleloaders and even with a speedloader it's going to take a little while. I certainly don't have any muscle memory to help. If I wounded a hog at 40 yards how long until he reaches me? I'd rather deal with legal bills than medical bills. I also wondered about carrying something like an 1858 allowing multiple shots...but I hadn't done any research yet. Of course Gun Toting Monkey Boy would have this figured out :P

gun toting monkeyboy
02-07-2012, 9:26 PM
Realize, if you shoot a boar at 40 yards, 99.99% of the time it is going the other way as fast as it's little legs can carry it. They don't like sticking around. Most of the stories you hear about them charging are just that. Stories.

-Mb

tatso7
02-08-2012, 4:44 AM
Any suggestions on where to look for a used one? The marketplace here is great for AR's and AK's but lacks breadth at times...

TheFiringLine.com blackpowder subfurom . They have classified section solely for Blackpowder firearms.

toby
02-08-2012, 4:54 AM
A real muzzle loader shoots round balls , just sayin

r3dn3ck
02-08-2012, 6:59 AM
you can buy a kit gun like I did. any ol' hawken kit will be fine. Make sure you get the twist rate for your intended bullet. Conicals twist faster than balls. I use a .50cal hawken fired by #11 percussion caps. Rifle kit was fun to build. For bullets... I like .44cal XTP's in sabots. They hold together at the velocities in play and expand well. The barnes hollow points were pretty impressive too... BIG hole.

A smoke pole makes a good keep away stick and one hell of a club.

wellfedirishman
02-08-2012, 7:14 AM
Good blackpowder discussion forum:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

54 cal should be good, especially with heavy conicals.

0321jarhead
02-08-2012, 7:28 AM
As I had mentioned before, of what I would be using. The ammo would be Hornady 50 cal .490 ball. The rifle is percussion, Lyman Great Plains. But, for my bug it would be my Ruger Redhawk .44 mag. (more power) or a 1911A1. But as mentioned before those are only stories. What about Murphy's Law?

TheExpertish
02-08-2012, 7:39 AM
A real muzzle loader shoots round balls , just sayin

Try explaining that to the Civil War guys and their Minie-balls, aka not a ball at all.

Hilldweller
02-08-2012, 8:09 AM
I have a TCA Cherokee in .32 for sale. If you practice, practice, practice you'll be able to hit a quarter size target at 25-30 yards easy.
To take a bear down, it's all in the technique. First, sneak up on him to about 25 yards. Set up your shot and yell "Hey !". When he turns toward you, shoot him in the left eye. Scurry up the nearest tree and reload, watching the way he runs. Track him again and sneak up on his (now) blind side. Set up to shoot and yell "Hey!" again. When he turns to look at you shoot him in the other eye. Scurry up the nearest tree and reload watching where he goes. Sneak up on him again and throw a rock near him. When he turns toward the sound, shoot in the "kill" zone. Throw another rock to confuse him. Keep this up until you finish him off.
Now take your "trophy" picture holding your .32 Cherokee. People will be amazed and hold you in awe seeing that you took down a bear with a .32 muzzle loader ! You'll be a hero and have a good chance of having your epic story written up in Muzzle Loader magazine !
Check classifieds now. <grin>

Super Spy
02-08-2012, 11:02 AM
I have a TCA Cherokee in .32 for sale. If you practice, practice, practice you'll be able to hit a quarter size target at 25-30 yards easy.
To take a bear down, it's all in the technique. First, sneak up on him to about 25 yards. Set up your shot and yell "Hey !". When he turns toward you, shoot him in the left eye. Scurry up the nearest tree and reload, watching the way he runs. Track him again and sneak up on his (now) blind side. Set up to shoot and yell "Hey!" again. When he turns to look at you shoot him in the other eye. Scurry up the nearest tree and reload watching where he goes. Sneak up on him again and throw a rock near him. When he turns toward the sound, shoot in the "kill" zone. Throw another rock to confuse him. Keep this up until you finish him off.
Now take your "trophy" picture holding your .32 Cherokee. People will be amazed and hold you in awe seeing that you took down a bear with a .32 muzzle loader ! You'll be a hero and have a good chance of having your epic story written up in Muzzle Loader magazine !
Check classifieds now. <grin>

I'll make sure I file the front sight all the way off first too....that way when the bear shoves it up my ***** it doesn't hurt so much.

Epic pitch though! Good luck with the sale.

eightmd
02-08-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure where you are, maybe up north, but in southern Calif. Escondido Fish & Game Club is putting on a muzzle loader clinic/class on 2/18 all day. It costs $85 and you don't need to bring a gun. Non members can got to it. I've never shot a muzzle loader and am planning on attending.

Super Spy
02-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm in the Bay Area so that's a little far. That sounds like fun though.

0321jarhead
02-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Any good blackpowder forums you can suggest? I appreciate your feedback but so far this is a pretty quiet thread. I did get 1 PM with an offer to sell, but it's not local, and I know nothing about what to look for in a used BP rifle.

Here is a good black powder forum to check out with all kinds of info. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php

L2H
02-09-2012, 1:12 PM
Here you go.

http://www.thegunsandgearstore.com/wolf-muzzleloader-caliber-inch-blued-barrel-ambidextrous-composite-stock-realtree-hardwoods-green-finish-with-konussh-p-17222.html

I have this same setup and so far 3 dead hogs since I picked it up last Sept. Good luck.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-09-2012, 7:51 PM
I ran the numbers on my .54 caliber. Using a plain old lead conical, I can get over 2,200 foot pounds at the muzzle. That is better than most .30-30 loads. Far better than anything you would get out of a handgun. I might get a bit less with a lighter round ball, but not much. A .50 should be close, albeit a bit lighter on the f/lbs. In close these old weapons can still do a number on just about anything.

-Mb