View Full Version : NFA question

02-07-2012, 9:26 AM
I had a friend ask me this and I don't know the answer 100%. The question was, if a person came into possession of an NFA regulated item like an M16 or M2 carbine, through a death in the family (item found amongst other guns), is the only legal remedy complete destruction of the item or is it enough to just destroy and or neuter the FA parts?

02-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Was it properly registered???

02-07-2012, 10:07 AM
take the upper and run away

02-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Was it properly registered???

What would be the respective answers one way or the other?

02-07-2012, 11:45 AM
If it's legally registered, then it can be sold through a class 3 dealer. If it's not, then it'll need to be destroyed.

Edit: if it's legal and the new owner lives in a state that allows this specific kind of NFA weapons, then it should
be possible to transfer ownership.

02-07-2012, 1:04 PM
What would be the respective answers one way or the other?

Registered it transfers tax-free on a form 5 to the (designated or presumptive) heir, unregistered, you toss an MG receiver into the river or learn to weld a barrel extension onto a too-short firearm.

02-07-2012, 2:52 PM
i know a guy that knows a guy?

no i believe you gotta sell it to someone in a free state through a class3 ffl. your best bet is to contact a class 3 ffl and see whats there take on it

02-07-2012, 2:56 PM
Hypothetically, I would CONTACT AN ATTORNEY and find out if it is in the NFA registry as a fully transferable weapon. If so, it's worth big bucks, if not, the attorney will advise you how to procede. Hypothetically, I would call one of the attornies that the CGF uses.