PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1903 Sporter info?

FFSandvig
02-07-2012, 7:45 AM
Hey all,

Picked myself up a Springfield manufacture 1903 (not A3), SN in the 1,480,000 range, that was sporterized at some point in the past. It has Lyman adjustable peep sights front and back, is drilled and tapped for a scope on top of the receiver, etc. My question pertains to the barrel...its a heavy-ish looking black barrel, stamped like this:

H S
[flaming bomb logo]
9 - 44

Any details? Dates? Info on the web is sketchy. Would I be right to assume it was done in '44/

Thanks!

emcon5
02-07-2012, 8:40 AM
The serial number is from 1934, it could have been rebarreled late in the war or someone could have replaced the original barrel some time later, really hard to say.

Pretty sure HS is "High Standard", and 9/44 is the date the barrel was manufactured, no telling when it was actually installed.

Does it look like this?
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=27893

FFSandvig
02-07-2012, 9:45 AM
Looks similar, once I get my good camera goin ill post a better pic. My barrel is very shiny gloss black, definitely a hard finish (not a rattlecan job). Stamping is very clear, attached is a terrible pic just for reference in the meantime. Apologies for the quality.

FFSandvig
02-07-2012, 9:51 AM
Also if its any importance, the receiver stamp reads "U.S. Springfield Armory Model 1903". And on close inspection its not black finish on the barrel but just very well done dark bluing.

Mike A
02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
What I can see of it seems to be a pretty nice sporter. "HS" is Hi-Standard Manufacturing; a company that made primarily handguns but was a contractor to Army Ordnance for rifle barrels. I'm not sure whether the barrel is original to this rifle, was done as part of an Ordnance rebuild (likely), or was added after the rifle was surplussed. As I understand it, HS barrels were original equipment only on the O3A3 rifles. And they were widely available as surplus parts after the war, so it might have been added then.

Can you tell if the barrel is 2-groove or 4-groove? I believe Hi-Standard made both. The 4-groove barrels are considered more valuable, but that seems to be just traditional--Ordnance tested both types for accuracy and found very little difference. And the 2-groove were faster and cheaper to make.

It would be nice to know who sporterized this rifle, just in case it is a known custom maker. If you haven't pulled the stock, you might try to see if there is a signature or maker's mark inside the barrel groove or elsewhere.

smle-man
02-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi Standard made 03 barrels in WW2, never saw a 03A3 H.S. Barrel. The HS barrels are very high quality.

Mike A
02-07-2012, 2:17 PM
I stand corrected; probably the O3A3 I saw was re-barreled with a surplus barrel after the war. I do remember that the HS barrels were somewhat coveted for sporters.

FFSandvig
02-07-2012, 4:39 PM
Thanks for the info! Heres more info from my end as requested. The barrel/barrel channel have no other markings besides the HS stamps. Stock is very nice heavy hardwood, nice finish, very clean checkering with a double fleur-de-lis design on the pistol grip cap. No other ID markings. Next post will have pics to (hopefully) better show the stock and ID markings.

FFSandvig
02-07-2012, 4:52 PM
Also note, it is a 4-groove barrel.

Pics are, in order:
1) Of the grip checkering
2) Grip cap
3) Receiver + barrel, showing id markings

Hope it helps. again, sorry for the picture quality.

Mustang
02-07-2012, 7:47 PM
Hi Standard made 03 barrels in WW2, never saw a 03A3 H.S. Barrel. The HS barrels are very high quality.

Actually, High Standard made many thousands of 03A3 barrels--for Smith Corona.

Except for the first 6000 barrels, which were six-groove and made by Savage, all Smith Corona 03A3's were made with High Standard, S-C marked 4 groove barrels.

Jeff L
02-07-2012, 8:57 PM
HS barrels are suppose to be very accurate. Sporter 03s were very popular in the 50s and 60s. The NRA even put out a booklet on how to make them from military rifles. Yours looks like it was done by a gunsmith, not sure who though. Not much collector value. Enjoy it as a shooter.

FFSandvig
02-08-2012, 7:12 AM
Thats good to hear =) Got it to be a shooter, very glad I didnt get a safe queen. Excited to find some scope rails that fit the drilled/tapped spots and get it scoped. As long as I can keep up with my brother's Swede Mauser up to 500yds ill be happy ;)

Mustang
02-08-2012, 7:31 AM
HS barrels are suppose to be very accurate. Sporter 03s were very popular in the 50s and 60s. The NRA even put out a booklet on how to make them from military rifles. Yours looks like it was done by a gunsmith, not sure who though. Not much collector value. Enjoy it as a shooter.

Plus, new in the wrapper 1903 and 03A3 barrels were available for as little as $1 back in the good old days, making these accurate and dependable rifles a cheap alternative to commercial rifles.