PDA

View Full Version : Removing tung oil

DennisCA
02-06-2012, 9:49 PM
I have a rifle that the previous owner put a coat of tung oil on it. I would like to remove it, so what's the quickest/easiest way?
:oji:

Crunch130
02-06-2012, 9:56 PM
Tung oil cures to a form of varnish. It probably needs a paint & varnish remover, but you might try lacquer thinner first.

What kind of finish are you trying to end up with?

Crunch

Orlando
02-07-2012, 5:27 AM
Tung oil will remove with a degreaser ,Tung Oil finish is like a varnish and may need a stripper

hifiguns
02-07-2012, 7:40 AM
If it's fully cured, you need to use stripper and 0000 steel wool. Some are a tung oil finish which is a small amount of tung oil in varnish, which also can only be removed with stripper.

DennisCA
02-07-2012, 8:39 AM
Tung oil cures to a form of varnish. It probably needs a paint & varnish remover, but you might try lacquer thinner first.

What kind of finish are you trying to end up with?

Crunch

Trying for the natural look - it just looks too shiney for a old rifle.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/yugo2447034.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/yugo2447009.jpg/

Eljay
02-07-2012, 8:45 AM
If it's actual tung oil it shouldn't be all that shiny, so it's probably "tung oil finish" as discussed above. But if it *is* tung oil you should just be able to rough it up a bit with 0000 steel wool. You might want to add a a couple of coats, roughing up after all but the last one. That would basically be matte with maybe a little luster to it.

Coyotegunner
02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
What Eljay said.I have used tug oil several times and it is really dull.You can make it a matte by rubbing a lot.I mean A LOT.If shiny,it may be Tru oil.Try the thinner first,with steel wool and a few old rags.Remember to water down the rags before throwing them in the trash.The trash company wanted to know what caused the fire.I would go to stripper next.Somebody mentioned Citistrip on here the other day for a plastic stock.I have used the other strippers and wore safety glasses and gloves.It will burn your body parts.The stuff I use has to be hosed off.I then wash it with soap and hot water.The grain will raise,so then sanding is the next job.I have done several stocks with Casey Tru oil.It requires light polishing the shiny off with steel wool.Then rub with sheen conditioner to get a satin finish.I will say though the new spray on stuff is hard to beat,like Spar Urethane satin.Old military stuff,I use tung or linseed oil.

DennisCA
02-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Appreciate all the info - Many thanks!
Will post once done, now (sigh) i've got work to do!
:oji:
:rockon:

Rustybore
02-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Had the same look on my K98k, somebody had applied Tung oil finish.
A hand polishing with 0000 wool, a wipe with a tack cloth to remove the resulting dust and a light application of pure Tung oil was all it took to get the military look back.

Rb.

hifiguns
02-07-2012, 8:35 PM
Agree with above. Pour a little boiled linseed oil or tung oil on 0000 steel wool and then scrub a little. Wipe with a rag. See if that will dull the sheen to the look you want.