PDA

View Full Version : Newer Production Glock 19: Get it or wait? ** UPDATE: See Post 54 ***

rtorc
02-06-2012, 9:21 PM
Hey guys:

A few months ago I shot a Glock 19 for the first time and realized I had to have one. After waiting a couple months, I found out today that my local shop has a new 3rd generation G19 in stock. I can start the DROS tomorrow!

Heres my issue
Since learning about the G19, Ive spent time on Calguns as well as a few other forums reading about issues that later-model 3rd generation and 4th generation G19s have been experiencing. The serial number on the G19 waiting for me begins with SGX. Im having a difficult time determining whether these issues are internet-hype or legitimate. Ive read about some people with no issues, as well as some who have had to replace ejectors, extractors, and/or springs.

Should I take a chance (since Ive been lusting over the G19) or should I wait a few months for the issues to be worked out (since I already have other pistols)?

Can anyone with a newer 3rd generation G19 give me some feedback?

As always ... Thanks,

RT

*** UPDATE 02/18/2012 ***

See post #54 for results of first range trip

Scratch705
02-06-2012, 9:24 PM
3rd gen glocks have been out for a while now.

the only issues are with the 4th gen glocks (which are not available for purchase normally, only through PPT/Intra-family transfer or if you are a cop.)

BoJackUSMC
02-06-2012, 9:27 PM
I think you should get it because it's Glock. I am pretty sure it will perform just fine.

DDRH
02-06-2012, 9:41 PM
my buddy and I picked up glock 19s recently, his, SGX..., mine URX...? So far, the SGX, is shooting fine. I'm getting more brass thrown at my head. using federal ammo. WWB ammo works better.

Both have fed and ejected flawlessly.

tuna quesadilla
02-06-2012, 9:53 PM
The issues of erratic ejection with anything less than full-power ammunition are legitimate. This is gonna be the rare time that I don't side with the "It's a Glock, don't worry about reliability" folks. YES the latest run of G19s has had intermittent ejection issues. I have a G19 w/ serial number RXU--- that has the issue.

People have been sending their G19s back to Glock, Inc and receiving them back with a brand new style of ejector. Glock, Inc. is definitely aware of the problem, but AFAIK they are not shipping Gen3 G19s from the factory with this ejector yet.

Field-strip the Glock and look at the ejector. The problematic ejector has "336" stamped on the side. The fix ejector has "30724" stamped on the side.

Not all G19s seem to have this issue but when it's prevalent enough that I've heard so much about it on the internet and then seen it with my own two eyes, I think it's big enough of an issue to shake my faith in Glocks for the time being.

DDRH
02-06-2012, 9:56 PM
The issues of erratic ejection with anything less than full-power ammunition are legitimate. This is gonna be the rare time that I don't side with the "It's a Glock, don't worry about reliability" folks. YES the latest run of G19s has had intermittent ejection issues. I have a G19 w/ serial number RXU--- that has the issue.

People have been sending their G19s back to Glock, Inc and receiving them back with a brand new style of ejector. Glock, Inc. is definitely aware of the problem, but AFAIK they are not shipping Gen3 G19s from the factory with this ejector yet.

ok, mine's RXU...ahaha...did you send your glock back? I've only ahd ~200 rnds through, i'm thinking i should put a few hundred more, to see if it goes away.

my buddy's HK P2000 does this, but it went away, using hotter ammo (federal vs WWB, WWB hotter).

Mana4real
02-06-2012, 9:58 PM
How often will it have this ejection problem? I pick mine up next week and it's an SLW serial number

tuna quesadilla
02-06-2012, 10:03 PM
ok, mine's RXU...ahaha...did you send your glock back? I've only ahd ~200 rnds through, i'm thinking i should put a few hundred more, to see if it goes away.

my buddy's HK P2000 does this, but it went away, using hotter ammo (federal vs WWB, WWB hotter).

I've yet to send mine back. Only a couple hundred rounds through it yet.

I think part of the problem is that ammo manufacturers are loading their plinking ammo weaker and weaker to save money. Look at the Federal Champion at Walmart... I shoot tons of that stuff because it's so cheap, but it's like a mouse fart.

In my limited experience it does not have the issue with full-power carry ammo, but I only shot about ten rounds of carry ammo so it's not much of a sample size.

How often will it have this ejection problem?

About one in every ten cases will smack me squarely in the face. I'll paraphrase to you what I wrote about the issue in another thread:

"I learned today that I shoot with my mouth open... and that the tongue is not meant to come into contact with hot brass." :eek: (Yes, I actually caught a casing in my mouth.)

ETA: Again, I'm not saying ALL G19s are gonna do this. SLW is a long ways from RXU. Give yours a shot (no pun intended XD) before you write it off as defective.

DDRH
02-06-2012, 10:10 PM
^^^LoL :rofl: hope this issue goes away...

MA2
02-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Ouch, why is Glock messing with the Gen3's, that was almost perfection :(

motorwerks
02-06-2012, 10:14 PM
My brand new Gen 3 17 has been flawless.... Just sayn'

Mana4real
02-06-2012, 10:19 PM

I think part of the problem is that ammo manufacturers are loading their plinking ammo weaker and weaker to save money. Look at the Federal Champion at Walmart... I shoot tons of that stuff because it's so cheap, but it's like a mouse fart.

In my limited experience it does not have the issue with full-power carry ammo, but I only shot about ten rounds of carry ammo so it's not much of a sample size.

About one in every ten cases will smack me squarely in the face. I'll paraphrase to you what I wrote about the issue in another thread:

"I learned today that I shoot with my mouth open... and that the tongue is not meant to come into contact with hot brass." :eek: (Yes, I actually caught a casing in my mouth.)

ETA: Again, I'm not saying ALL G19s are gonna do this. SLW is a long ways from RXU. Give yours a shot (no pun intended XD) before you write it off as defective.
Right on. I'll be able to shoot it in a couple weeks.

tuna quesadilla
02-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Ouch, why is Glock messing with the Gen3's, that was almost perfection :(

Nobody really knows for sure. They seemed to make a minor change to the Gen 3 extractor around 2009/2010. I did notice that the finish on my 2011 G19 is vastly different from the finish on my 2010 G37 and 2009 G17. It's more of a gray phosphate/dry film finish than the shiny black finish on my older Glocks. That might have something to do with it.

My brand new Gen 3 17 has been flawless.... Just sayn'

The issue is only with the G19s.

osxgp
02-06-2012, 10:30 PM
I haven't heard anything about the Gen 3 G19 issues, but that doesn't mean much because I never searched for it. I know the Gen 4 Glock 19s had problems because of the new dual spring recoil rod being too stiff. I spoke to Glock after I got my Gen 4 G19 and they sent me the proper guide rod. The person I spoke to told me that the issue was from using 115gr ammo, but the 124gr and heavier would work fine with the first recoil rod. Glock used the same spring weight for the first three gens on the G19, 23, and 32 but found out it didn't work too well for the dual recoil guide rod. The only thing I don't like about my Gen 4 is the rail is thinner so it will fit the new dual recoil spring. It feels more flimsy and I have read reports of the slide popping off when attaching a light or laser. I've even seen the videos. Luckily, mine hasn't had any problems thus far.

S dot
02-06-2012, 11:05 PM
3rd gen glocks have been out for a while now.

the only issues are with the 4th gen glocks (which are not available for purchase normally, only through PPT/Intra-family transfer or if you are a cop.)

You can SSE it. Along with any gen4 glock for that matter.

rtorc
02-06-2012, 11:10 PM

Field-strip the Glock and look at the ejector. The problematic ejector has "336" stamped on the side. The fix ejector has "30724" stamped on the side.

Not all G19s seem to have this issue but when it's prevalent enough that I've heard so much about it on the internet and then seen it with my own two eyes, I think it's big enough of an issue to shake my faith in Glocks for the time being.

Thanks for the information Tuna, I'll definitely be field-stripping the 19.

my buddy and I picked up glock 19s recently, his, SGX..., mine URX...? So far, the SGX, is shooting fine. I'm getting more brass thrown at my head. using federal ammo. WWB ammo works better.

Both have fed and ejected flawlessly.

Do you know what ejectors (336 or 30724) your friend's and your 19s had?

Are any newer production 3rd Gen. 19's being shipped with the 30724?

famas619
02-06-2012, 11:10 PM
I got my glock 19 a month ago, put 300 rounds through it and no problems.

rtorc
02-06-2012, 11:12 PM
I got my glock 19 a month ago, put 300 rounds through it and no problems.

What are the letters of your 19's serial number? Does it have the 336 or 30724 ejector?

MXRider
02-06-2012, 11:32 PM
I have a gen 3 19 with a PDA serial number that has 5000 rounds through it with 0 malfunctions and that's with multiple shooters of varying skill. It does have the dip connector in it and it also has some erratic ejection with weak ammo like wwb, federal champion and UMC. Runs on RWS 124gr like a champ with strong 3:00-4:00 ejection.

YMMV

MXRider
02-06-2012, 11:40 PM
BTW, I fail to see how the 336 ejector is the problem, that's what they had been using well before the problems started with the MIM extractor change.

tuna quesadilla
02-07-2012, 12:39 AM
BTW, I fail to see how the 336 ejector is the problem, that's what they had been using well before the problems started with the MIM extractor change.

Doesn't make sense to me either, but it is what it is. Here's a recent thread on ARFCOM where somebody broke down the differences between the 336 and the 30724:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/121024_New_ejector_came_in_for_new__problematic_3r d_Gen_G19__lots_of_pics_Update__FIXED_.html

cindynles
02-07-2012, 8:46 AM
Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this issue. I have a Gen3 G19, KUUxxx, with the 336 ejector (bought 3 years ago). I've had 0 malfunctions in approx 3,500 rounds. 99% of the ammo has been UMC, WWB, or Federal Champ (all the cheap stuff they sell at Wallmart).

BamBam-31
02-07-2012, 9:32 AM

Ah, Glock mouth. Kinda like Garand thumb. :D

Good to know about the newer G19's. A friend was inquiring about one, and I gave him the usual "Glocks are reliable" song and dance. Will update him with the ejector info.

Scandivious
02-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I have a new Glock 17 with SN SGN... and I did get some brass to the head. Havent checked the number on the extractor yet and the ammo I was shooting was reloads but they felt a little more powerful then the 115gr stated. With that being said it is running flawless even with 124+p Federal hst

rtorc
02-07-2012, 10:28 AM
As an update, I called Glock today and asked about the specifics of the G19 I have waiting for me (Serial number SGX---). The person I spoke to told me that my G19 was manufactured on 12/19/2011. He also stated that any G19 (3rd and 4th generation) manufactured after 10/10/2011 should have the ejection issue addressed (Although he was not sure which ejector was installed on my particular 19).

I've decided to take my chances with the new 19. I'm on my way now to begin the DROS. It'll be interesting to see what its performance will be like after a couple thousand rounds. I have 500 rounds of Winchester Ranger-T 124 grain +P JHP (RA9124TP) and 1,000 rounds of Federal American Eagle 115 grain FMJ (AE9DP) arriving in a few days (This is my first 9MM). I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks as always for your input and feedback.

RT

DDRH
02-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the information Tuna, I'll definitely be field-stripping the 19.

Do you know what ejectors (336 or 30724) your friend's and your 19s had?

Are any newer production 3rd Gen. 19's being shipped with the 30724?

We both have 336 ejectors...Glock 19. Mine starts with RXU. my buddy, did state, he had one round fly at his face...but that's out of ~200 rnds. mine on the other hand had at least 2/10 rnds fly at my face...right between the eyes :(

Mana4real
02-07-2012, 11:05 AM
As an update, I called Glock today and asked about the specifics of the G19 I have waiting for me (Serial number SGX---). The person I spoke to told me that my G19 was manufactured on 12/19/2011. He also stated that any G19 (3rd and 4th generation) manufactured after 10/10/2011 should have the ejection issue addressed (Although he was not sure which ejector was installed on my particular 19).

I've decided to take my chances with the new 19. I'm on my way now to begin the DROS. It'll be interesting to see what its performance will be like after a couple thousand rounds. I have 500 rounds of Winchester Ranger-T 124 grain +P JHP (RA9124TP) and 1,000 rounds of Federal American Eagle 115 grain FMJ (AE9DP) arriving in a few days (This is my first 9MM). I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks as always for your input and feedback.

RT

Sounds good... I'll also be able to report in a couple of weeks how it works. I plan to run through a couple hundred rounds to see how it feels and get used to it. I plan on going to try a steel shoot with one of the local calgun members.

Mana4real
02-07-2012, 11:07 AM
We both have 336 ejectors...Glock 19. Mine starts with RXU. my buddy, did state, he had one round fly at his face...but that's out of ~200 rnds. mine on the other hand had at least 2/10 rnds fly at my face...right between the eyes :(

Ya, that's why I wear the safety glasses LOL. I was shooting my buddies 22 and it put a few right on my glasses. I never moved though, maybe I closed my eyes.

DDRH
02-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Doesn't make sense to me either, but it is what it is. Here's a recent thread on ARFCOM where somebody broke down the differences between the 336 and the 30724:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/121024_New_ejector_came_in_for_new__problematic_3r d_Gen_G19__lots_of_pics_Update__FIXED_.html

did a few google searches, and quite a few threads pop up about the ejector...glocktalk, m4carbine...

Anyone know what date code is RXU?

Tiberius
02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
What is this, an elaborate hoax? I'm sure I've heard, on this very forum, that Glocks never have problems. I think I've even heard that no Glock has ever had a problem.

This whole thread is probably propoganda from the 1911 crowd.

DDRH
02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
found another thread on ejection issues...this has to do with the extractor.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1346797

OP, i hope this thread doesn't stop you from picking up one of the best firearms. IMHO, you should purchase one...perhaps keep an eye out for the serial # as you've done.

I'll also report back anything new, going to the range this weekend if possible.

LoadedM333
02-07-2012, 2:07 PM
I put about 450 rounds of target and 100 rounds of Win. Ranger T through my G17 Gen4, didn't really have any problem.

Moto
02-07-2012, 2:30 PM
Just an FYI, a family memeber just purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P9

The gun is great. With the weaker walmart federals, at times it too shoots a round on top of your head. It ejects better with the more powerful rounds.

Just sayin.

proclone1
02-07-2012, 4:16 PM

OK this is crazy, because I put 200rds through my Gen 3 G19 a couple weeks ago, and like you, about 2/10rds are landing on top of my head, smacking me in the forehead, or landing on my forearms. My serial starts with RCX. I bought it new in Aug 2011. I thought this was normal and it didn't bother me too much, but then again I was shooting with proper eye-protection. Not sure how I'd feel about brass flying at my face without eye-safety.

When I get home I will check the #s on my extractor.

rtorc
02-07-2012, 4:27 PM
found another thread on ejection issues...this has to do with the extractor.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1346797

OP, i hope this thread doesn't stop you from picking up one of the best firearms. IMHO, you should purchase one...perhaps keep an eye out for the serial # as you've done.

I'll also report back anything new, going to the range this weekend if possible.

It has not stopped me from picking up the G19. I finished the DROS on it about 4 hours ago! Serial # SGX---. Ejector #336

scglock
02-07-2012, 4:27 PM
I just picked up a gen 4 glock 19 last weekend. Put about 100 rounds through it so far and zero issues.

Mr.1904
02-07-2012, 4:43 PM
Both my Glock 21 and Glock 17 (Gen 3)throw brass intermittently at my forehead. .

More so with the 21 :willy_nilly:

They both function flawlessly.

gatdammit
02-07-2012, 5:04 PM
did a few google searches, and quite a few threads pop up about the ejector...glocktalk, m4carbine...

Anyone know what date code is RXU?

I'm thinking July 2011? If I recall correctly, mine has that and it was made in July.

And to the OP... a Glock is a GLock is a GLock is a GLock... meaning? I haven't heard of any 3rd Gen problems. I get a few to the face, but that's what eye protection is for!

Scandivious
02-07-2012, 5:13 PM
Do I have to strip the slide and take out the ejector to find the number or would a simple field strip work.

DDRH
02-07-2012, 5:18 PM
Do I have to strip the slide and take out the ejector to find the number or would a simple field strip work.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18531124&postcount=14

Scandivious
02-07-2012, 5:25 PM
So I just checked and my ejector is stamped 336.

HPGunner
02-07-2012, 5:39 PM
My 3rd Gen G19 is a MDT serial number from June 2008. No reported issues - why all of a sudden ejection issues? Curious.

DDRH
02-07-2012, 6:11 PM
OK this is crazy, because I put 200rds through my Gen 3 G19 a couple weeks ago, and like you, about 2/10rds are landing on top of my head, smacking me in the forehead, or landing on my forearms. My serial starts with RCX. I bought it new in Aug 2011. I thought this was normal and it didn't bother me too much, but then again I was shooting with proper eye-protection. Not sure how I'd feel about brass flying at my face without eye-safety.

When I get home I will check the #s on my extractor.

had some frameless prescription glasses on...not great but ok...and i usually wear a hat...i didn't this time. oh, and i meant between my eye....brow..lol

I'm thinking July 2011? If I recall correctly, mine has that and it was made in July.

And to the OP... a Glock is a GLock is a GLock is a GLock... meaning? I haven't heard of any 3rd Gen problems. I get a few to the face, but that's what eye protection is for!

Yes, July:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17904103&postcount=496

i think most people go by the case fire date envelope.

It has not stopped me from picking up the G19. I finished the DROS on it about 4 hours ago! Serial # SGX---. Ejector #336

Congrats! Hope no brass fly your way! :chris:

sammy
02-07-2012, 6:35 PM
The ONLY reason I would get the 4th gen over the 3rd gen is if the 3rd gen did not fit your hand well. Chances are it does. I would pay extra for a 3rd if the only other option was the 4th. The 3rd gen Glocks are as good as they get.

blakdawg
02-07-2012, 6:52 PM
My wife and I each have Gen 3 G19's serial numbered RRV??? indicating May 2011 production - no problems so far, have hundreds of rounds through each of them. I'm 99% positive they have the 336 extractors but don't have one handy to look and be sure.

HPGunner
02-07-2012, 7:46 PM
Just checked mine and it's stamped 336. Put through a couple of boxes of blazer brass yesterday without issue.

DDRH
02-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Sooo, had a range session last night. 4/250 rnds flew at my face...had a hat on. had a few fly over the top of my head.

with hotter ammo, Seller&Bellot was gtg. American Eagle was also good...Federal Champion, very inconsistent, and had more erratic ejection.

Final thoughts, i'm keeping it :) seems like it just needed a little break in.

SIGSHOOTR
02-14-2012, 1:16 AM
This has been an interesting read. I have a Gen 3 G19 I purchased last year- 2010 or 2011 production date with RXR serial #. Mine has more than 1500 rounds through it now-- and I do occasionally get the errant brass blown back on my forehead/face (ie. maybe 1 errant casing blown back out of 10 rounds). At the range, I shoot 147 gr. Winchester Super X FMJs. Didn't really think it was a big deal and never gave it a second thought because it's not a regular occurrence, but now I'm wondering. This G19 has been absolutely brilliant in all respects-- no malfunctions; shoots like a dream; bloody accurate and fits my hand like a glove. On the other hand, my SIG P226 -- with over 5600 rounds through it -- has never blown a single casing into my face shooting all variety of ammo. The G19 serves as a back up so I don't put nearly the amount of rounds through it as my SIG, but maybe I'll start shooting the G19 more frequently (and try a wider variety of ammo through it) to see if the errant casing gets better...or worse.

pharazon
02-14-2012, 8:16 PM
I've taken some brass to the face via G19, but have decided the time spent out of my hands and at Glock would be a much bigger inconvenience than the occasional case in the face. FWIW, on all occasions the ammo being used was low powered Federal.

DDRH
02-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Quick update, still getting brass to my face.

took apart the slide yesterday, and i have a #4 extractor. everyone else have the same?

02-15-2012, 12:22 PM
I am a certified Glock armorer. Based on the comments in this blog, I called Glock and just got off the phone with their tech support. I was told that there is no issue with 3rd generation model 19s, and that the 336 ejector is correct for all 3rd generation model 19s. I asked about changing it out for the number "30724" ejector and was told not to do it on a 3rd generation. It could not be clearer than that.

As a further note, my wife uses her model 19 as her house gun while I use mine as both my carry and house gun. Neither have had any problems of any kind with a variety of both cheap range and/or expensive HD ammunition. 100% reliability in both.

DDRH
02-15-2012, 12:33 PM
I am a certified Glock armorer. Based on the comments in this blog, I called Glock and just got off the phone with their tech support. I was told that there is no issue with 3rd generation model 19s, and that the 336 ejector is correct for all 3rd generation model 19s. I asked about changing it out for the number "30724" ejector and was told not to do it on a 3rd generation. It could not be clearer than that.

Curious, did you ask why glock 19's are throwing brass at people's face? It does feed and eject, without jam, but sometimes, it's a bit uneasy when i can see spent brass dribble out the ejection port.

it is a little bit better with hotter ammo, but not always the case. Also there have been reports on other forums, which state glock is changing out the 336 ejector for the 30274 ejector. or at least sending people shipping label, or sending them to a local Glock armorer to get the ejector replaced with a newer one.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18531124#post18531124

thanks for the heads up on the call to tech support...maybe we should start taking down the reps names and compare what they say about the ejector?

tuna quesadilla
02-15-2012, 6:32 PM
I am a certified Glock armorer. Based on the comments in this blog, I called Glock and just got off the phone with their tech support. I was told that there is no issue with 3rd generation model 19’s, and that the “336” ejector is correct for all 3rd generation model 19’s. I asked about changing it out for the number "30724" ejector and was told not to do it on a 3rd generation. It could not be clearer than that.

As a further note, my wife uses her model 19 as her “house” gun while I use mine as both my carry and house gun. Neither have had any problems of any kind with a variety of both “cheap” range and/or expensive HD ammunition. 100% reliability in both.

I don't need to be a factory-certified Ducati Master Technician to tell when a motorcycle is leaking oil.

Whether you are a Glock armorer has no bearing on whether the problem exists. It does exist and the answer you received from Glock is consistent with their response to the issue: "Sweep it under the rug, silently help out the people who complain enough"

rtorc
02-18-2012, 11:16 AM
RANGE UPDATE

Yesterday I picked up my 3rd Generation G19 (Serial No. SGX---, Ejector #336). I took it straight to the range for its first run. I field-stripped the 19, but I did not clean or relubricate it in anyway (ran it as it shipped from Glock).

I put 300 rounds of Federal American Eagle 115 grain FMJ (AE9DP) and 200 rounds of Winchester Ranger-T 124 grain +P JHP (RA9124TP) through it.

I had 0 malfunctions (FTFs, FTEs, etc.)! As for the casing ejection issue, my results were as follows:

Rounds 121-130 (Magazine load No. 13), shooting FMJ (AE9DP) - 1 ejection towards the 6 o'clock direction
Rounds 351-360 (Magazine load No. 36), shooting FMJ (AE9DP) - 1 ejection towards the 6 o'clock direction
Rounds 361-370 (Magazine load No. 37), shooting FMJ (AE9DP) - 2 ejections towards the 6 o'clock direction
Rounds 441-450 (Magazine load No. 45), shooting JHP (RA9124TP) - 1 ejection towards the 6 o'clock direction
Rounds 461-470 (Magazine load No. 47), shooting JHP (RA9124TP) - 1 ejection towards the 6 o'clock direction
Rounds 471-480 (Magazine load No. 48), shooting JHP (RA9124TP) - 1 ejection towards the 6 o'clock direction

Overall, 7 casings ejected towards my face out of 500 rounds fired (1.4%). All other ejections were within normal limits with adequate ejection force (no casings "dribbled out").

IIRC, I have read that most ejection issues don't begin to occur until around 1,000 rounds. FWIW, maybe my results will be helpful to someone considering a G19 as a purchase. As for me, I'm already searching for my next G19 to keep this 19 company.

I'll post more updates as they occur.

RT

USMC 82-86
02-18-2012, 11:49 AM
I had a G19 I traded to a member here that had no issues at all with about 500 rounds down the pipe. I have another G19 with around 6000 rounds down the pipe and it will throw casings into the next lane all day. The G19 I have is still a very accurate gun and has been flawless even after 6000 rounds. Gun hardly looks used at all, I guess I got lucky with the two I have owned.

carmad
02-18-2012, 3:12 PM
Just bought a G19. Now the 10 day torture.

Moto
02-18-2012, 3:22 PM
Observation,
A friend has a Glock 22 gen 2 and it functions and ejects .40 flawlessly.
He has a 9mm conversion barrel and with that at times there will be a 6 o'clock ejection on top of the head.
My sis has an M&P9 (nice gun) shoots perfectly, and even with that on occasion you get an ejection at 6 o'clock. No big deal.
Was at the range a few days ago and rented a Glock 19 and the a Glock 26. They both sometimes would eject at 6 o'clock.

Could this be a 9 mm thing?

DDRH
02-18-2012, 3:39 PM
Observation,
A friend has a Glock 22 gen 2 and it functions and ejects .40 flawlessly.
He has a 9mm conversion barrel and with that at times there will be a 6 o'clock ejection on top of the head.
My sis has an M&P9 (nice gun) shoots perfectly, and even with that on occasion you get an ejection at 6 o'clock. No big deal.
Was at the range a few days ago and rented a Glock 19 and the a Glock 26. They both sometimes would eject at 6 o'clock.

Could this be a 9 mm thing?

My P30 ejects at 3-4, regardless of ammo.

Tried a gen 2 (i think) .40 extractor, it helped a lil. Feeding wasn't as smooth. Looks like sure to the angle of the extractor hook.

Mr.1904
02-18-2012, 4:34 PM
All my Glocks have a tendency to sling brass to my face

Glock 17

No, it doesn't really bother me. Wear eye protection.

bigfan
02-19-2012, 7:53 AM
I have a Generation 2 Glock 19. Throws brass just past my head at about 5 o'clock with some once-fired reloads. Happens less so with Blazer Brass, Am Eagle and even Magtech. I'll stay away from the reloads for now.

BTW - neither my Star Ultrastar or Kahr CW9 have any problems throwing the reloaded brass out to 3-4 o'clock. Just the Glock.

My Gen 2 has never had any internals changed or extractors swapped. 22 years old and it runs great. The Ultrastar is from 1994 and runs perfectly, too. The CW9 is new and replacing my J-frame for pocket duty. It's a very soft shooter and amazingly accurate.

Congrats on the Gen 3. I like the no-finger grooves on Gen 2. But it seems that brass flying at your head goes way back and is not limited to new guns. It is what it is. So, long as it goes bang when I pull the trigger the rest is concentration anyway.