PDA

View Full Version : Out of state handgun transfer DROS ?'s

CAHighSierra
02-06-2012, 1:20 PM
Recently bought a handgun from someone in NV. Went to a local gunshop to handle the FFL transfer. They tell me they cannot start the DROS until the gun is in the shops posession. They chage me the transfer fee and the DROS fee and tell me I need to come back after the firearm is in the shop. I asked if they will call me and they say no, its my responsibility to keep track of the firearm. Is this normal? I was under the impression (after reading a bunch of threads) that they should start the DROS when they have the handgun serial number and buyer information.

So basically I will have made three trips to the shop by the time my firearm is ready for pickup.

Thanks in advance for any help (im kinda stuck anyway as I already paid)

Munk
02-06-2012, 1:33 PM
Recently bought a handgun from someone in NV. Went to a local gunshop to handle the FFL transfer. They tell me they cannot start the DROS until the gun is in the shops posession. They chage me the transfer fee and the DROS fee and tell me I need to come back after the firearm is in the shop. I asked if they will call me and they say no, its my responsibility to keep track of the firearm. Is this normal? I was under the impression (after reading a bunch of threads) that they should start the DROS when they have the handgun serial number and buyer information.

So basically I will have made three trips to the shop by the time my firearm is ready for pickup.

Thanks in advance for any help (im kinda stuck anyway as I already paid)

My experience with transferring through FFLs has been pretty different. I contact the FFL before having the seller ship it to them, to verify pricing and that someone will be there on a given day to receive the package. I don't bother heading down there in person (unless I need to buy something that day) to ask about this.

Once the firearm arrives, I show up, pay Transfer+Dros+Tax(If sold by a dealer) and start my 10-day.

As far as doing a "remote" start of the DROS process, and the 10-day... I've been given conflicting info. Several stores have basically stopped doing it because the person sending them the serial transposed a few numbers, or the gun was lost in transit, and didn't arrive until the DROS had expired (required investigation and such. Police recovered the firearm from an employee of the carrier). One store told me that it was outright illegal; while places like Turners have done this with warehoused items and items in other store locations.

CAHighSierra
02-06-2012, 1:41 PM
I called before I went and he told me I had to come down with the information.
This handgun is being shipped from the sellers FFL in NV, does that count as a dealer sale?

My experience with transferring through FFLs has been pretty different. I contact the FFL before having the seller ship it to them, to verify pricing and that someone will be there on a given day to receive the package. I don't bother heading down there in person (unless I need to buy something that day) to ask about this.

Once the firearm arrives, I show up, pay Transfer+Dros+Tax(If sold by a dealer) and start my 10-day.

As far as doing a "remote" start of the DROS process, and the 10-day... I've been given conflicting info. Several stores have basically stopped doing it because the person sending them the serial transposed a few numbers, or the gun was lost in transit, and didn't arrive until the DROS had expired (required investigation and such. Police recovered the firearm from an employee of the carrier). One store told me that it was outright illegal; while places like Turners have done this with warehoused items and items in other store locations.

tenpercentfirearms
02-06-2012, 10:34 PM
I called before I went and he told me I had to come down with the information.
This handgun is being shipped from the sellers FFL in NV, does that count as a dealer sale?

Anything that doesn't involved two CA residents coming in to the same store to transfer is a dealer sale.

kemasa
02-07-2012, 7:27 AM
They could have had you fill out a DROS worksheet so that they could submit it once the firearm came in, but you really should inspect the firearm before starting the DROS.

Personally, I would not pay them until the firearm arrives and the DROS submitted and I don't charge people until that point in time.

CAHighSierra
02-07-2012, 7:57 PM
Thanks for the help guys.