PDA

View Full Version : The problem with California (and other) gun laws

mud99
02-06-2012, 12:30 PM
It seems like many of of our problems in California, such as the AWB, magazine ban, handgun roster, etc. are related to two misunderstandings by the anti-gun anti-crime crowd, which are:

You cannot penalize a criminal before they commit a crime. A future criminal is nothing more than a law abiding citizen today.

-and-

A criminal by definition has not abided by the law, and presumably will not abide by it in the future, regardless of how restrictive it is.

The solutions to these problems are very simple:

Solution to point #1: Once time-machine technology is readily available, it will be relatively easy to pre-emptively take guns away from future criminals. Until then, crime WILL happen, period. You can only ban crime in so many overlapping ways.

Solution to point #2: Don't let criminals out of jail unless they are rehabilitated. The purpose of jail should be to both punish and rehabilitate.

Also, IMO, a *crime* is an incident where someone acts in a way which hurts someone else

Owning a gun does not hurt anyone else. Owning a car does not hurt anyone else. Choosing to use either in a certain manner does.

Marking an action which hurt nobody as a crime with the justification that it will "deter crime" is an absolutely insane philosophy that we have become too complacent of and need to get rid of.

Alpha 1-4
02-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Excellent post, if you don't mind I would like to share this.

pointedstick
02-06-2012, 12:53 PM
You're thinking about this too logically. In my experience, trying to make these points to your average anti-gun person is like trying to break down a wall by throwing Jell-O at it.

uyoga
02-06-2012, 1:28 PM
. . . . . .Also, IMO, a *crime* is an incident where someone acts in a way which hurts someone else.

Actually, a Crime is 1) An Act, 2) defined, 3) and made punishable by law.

I agree that Kalyphornyia and many other states have far too many acts that are defined and punishable by law.

TwoAsoapbox
02-06-2012, 3:05 PM
You're thinking about this too logically. In my experience, trying to make these points to your average anti-gun person is like trying to break down a wall by throwing Jell-O at it.
We need to keep throwing the Jello though.

With the right approach and persistence, even the most anti-gun person will begin to see that they are wrong and have unsound reasoning.

Good post. :thumbsup: