View Full Version : Out of state gun for sale in ca

02-05-2012, 9:57 PM
Forgive me if this is wrong forum to post, I searched also but no clear answer.

My question is if a out of state person moves to Ca. And has a off roster gun what is needed for him to sell here. I've read about sse and other type methods but was not clear to me.

Person selling gun to me asked a store and they told him that he can just do a ppt and the gun is a Xdm and said just have mags block.

Is that true just seems to easy for Ca and he just moved here and has not registered gun yet.

Any helpful info would be much appreciated for both of us.

02-06-2012, 5:00 AM
Once you have a CA ID, you can PPT the handgun even before you register it.

The magazines must be permanently altered, so a simple block that could not be removed would not be sufficient.

Also you cannot legally import large capacity magazines so make sure you didn't bring any in that you didn't possess in the state before 2000.

02-06-2012, 6:21 AM
Thanks for your help

02-06-2012, 7:45 AM
As I recall, you have 60 days to register the firearm, but as said, the firearm can be sold prior to being registered.

02-06-2012, 8:31 AM
I thought that if an out of state resident moved to California, they could not bring a gun that was not on the approved list??

02-06-2012, 8:40 AM
People moving to CA can bring non-roster handguns into CA.