PDA

View Full Version : Creedmoor new 1903 A3 and A4, what do think?

SmokingSam
02-05-2012, 5:14 PM
They are offering these two models with new stock and new barrels. I have an original 1903-A3 in great shape (two groove) and it shoots very accurately. I want to buy another one (or two) and I am thinking of getting these models.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/1903-A4-Sniper-Rifle.html

BTW, these are four groove NEW Barrels at 1:10 twist, something I desire in a classic 1903.

What is your thinking about their shoot-ability, their accuracy, and their future value. Will they keep their value or decrease since they are a mix of old and new parts?

I would be using them for shooting targets at 200+ yds and will keep my historical one in the safe...Any constructive opinion is appreciated!

gunboat
02-05-2012, 8:03 PM
For 1k+ you can buy a lot of rifle --
The only plus that I see is that it is eligible for milsurp matches.
To my thinking, it is a replica and will always be a replica.

Mojaveman
02-05-2012, 8:44 PM
They're nice but they'll never be worth as much as an original.

If you're into Springfields as I am and you can't find a nice original, at least you can buy one of these. One detail I like is the new four groove barrel. The choice of either a straight grip or scant stock is nice too. The straight grip stocks have the best balance. '03s are good old fashioned American rifles.

Got mine. :)

pro-nra
02-05-2012, 9:15 PM
Find a UGSI one as they are out there. Watch the WTS ad here on CalGuns and walk the gun shows as they are out there. If you walk the shows bring a TE & MW and a bright LED light to check the bore for pitting. In addition, bring along headspace gauges as some of these old rifles the bolts been swapped around several times and will not headspace.

dfletcher
02-05-2012, 9:39 PM
Gibbs rifle offers a similar version (sniper) that is not C & R eligible, if this gets C & R it would save me about $125.00 I suppose. I think I'd like the scope on the Creedmoor version better. On the Creedmoor advert reference is made to a "walnut stained" stock. Is the stock made from walnut and stained or is it of some other type wood and a walnut stain applied?

gunboat
02-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Why would a walnut stock be stained walnut?

emcon5
02-06-2012, 6:02 AM

That isn't what he asked, and it is a good question.

If they are really Smith Corona actions, I don't see why it wouldn't be a C&R. ATF says "we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable"

So a new original pattern stock, with a new original pattern barrel should be OK

SmokingSam
02-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I called Creedmoor today and talked to Dennis, nice guy. They are applying for the C&R status and they are sure to get it, they say. Also, I wanted to see if they can put in a Criterion barrel for me and they said that they are already in the process to do that but it will increase the price by less than $100! The barrel by itself seals the deal for me. this will be a Classic American superb bolt action with a great barrel, I am sold. So now I will be selling one of my 12 gauge over/under shot gun to finance these two beauties....I think :facepalm:....like I need more guns!

Jeffy
02-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Are these built up front Drill Rifles like the Gibbs were? The A4 scope does look nice but that 8X Hi-Lux scope looks sweeeeet on a 03.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Hi-Lux-Malcolm-8X-USMC-Sniper-Scope.html

Flyin Brian
02-06-2012, 1:28 PM
Are these built up front Drill Rifles like the Gibbs were? The A4 scope does look nice but that 8X Hi-Lux scope looks sweeeeet on a 03.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Hi-Lux-Malcolm-8X-USMC-Sniper-Scope.html

Yes, they are built from receivers that were recovered from drill rifles. They are built by Rock Ridge Machine Works and it has been posted all over the CMP forum that they are using receivers that had spot welds at the receiver/barrel junction, and also welds to the magazine cut-off switch.

SmokingSam
02-06-2012, 1:34 PM
So are these welds in any way dangerous for long term operation or is it just a "not desired" thing (and I understand if this is the case)...

0321jarhead
02-06-2012, 2:43 PM
They look very nice but, it's like a Yamaha trying to look like a Harley. There's nothing like an original. For what they are asking you can buy a real nice "original" '03.

OpenSightsOnly
02-06-2012, 3:59 PM
New stock, new barrel, should make good or very good shooters.

Don't recall any claims of accuracy . . .

Keep the original as an investment, use the repro in the CMP Vintage Sniper match!

Its a win-win . . .

They are offering these two models with new stock and new barrels. I have an original 1903-A3 in great shape (two groove) and it shoots very accurately. I want to buy another one (or two) and I am thinking of getting these models.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/1903-A4-Sniper-Rifle.html

BTW, these are four groove NEW Barrels at 1:10 twist, something I desire in a classic 1903.

What is your thinking about their shoot-ability, their accuracy, and their future value. Will they keep their value or decrease since they are a mix of old and new parts?

I would be using them for shooting targets at 200+ yds and will keep my historical one in the safe...Any constructive opinion is appreciated!

0321jarhead
02-06-2012, 4:33 PM
How does "repro" become "vintage" when this repro is not all "original"?

eighteenninetytwo
02-06-2012, 5:56 PM
Because technically the receivers are vintage and effectively a refurbished original. Which is why they'll get CnR status granted. If I had any 30-06 rifles in the collection I'd get one but fortunately I can still get original / new condition Enfields for less. Doesn't help the bank balance thouugh.

Mojaveman
02-06-2012, 7:48 PM

Walnut can actually come in light or dark and many times even one piece of wood will have different hues. Staining the wood will give the stocks a uniform color.

SmokingSam
02-07-2012, 9:23 AM
Dennis at Creedmoor confirmed that they will be using the Criterion barrels for the 1903's in a month or so. This for me is a great and smart move. I will be checking on this " welded stuff " to see if I feel negative about it. Other than that, I will save my original 1903/A3 straight stock since it is in superb shape and get these two and shoot the hell out of them, I do believe they will be very accurate due to barrel and scope and new/refurb parts. They do kick quite a bit thu, but I do not mind at all....love'em 1903!