PDA

View Full Version : FFL Shipping Ammo...

Santa Cruz Armory
02-05-2012, 2:11 PM
Hey guys~

What is the most reasonable and least drama way to ship ammo? I usually use USPS for everything. Can Ammo go through the USPS if shipped from an FFL? I have two firearms and about 30 pounds of ammo going to the same buyer (FFL).

TIA

Mssr. Eleganté
02-05-2012, 2:25 PM
It's against rules to mail ammo, even for FFLs. You will have to use UPS or FedEx Ground to ship it. Packages containing ammunition need to have a Limited Quantity diamond label on them. Here's a link to a thread where you can find Limited Quantity labels that you can print and cut out to tape onto the package...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=54456

Don Edmondson
02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/clmntine/cal%20guns/ORMDLabel.gif
print it tape to the box go on line pay for it give to a ups or fedx driver Don

Santa Cruz Armory
02-07-2012, 5:17 PM
Fed Ex wanted an additional $70 in haz mat fees in addition to the shipping charge. :eek: They said it was considered explosives and it was "very dangerous". :rolleyes:

I said to pound sand and went to UPS. :43:

Santa Cruz Armory
02-07-2012, 5:17 PM
Fed Ex wanted an additional $70 in haz mat fees in addition to the shipping charge. :eek: They said it was considered explosives and it was "very dangerous". :rolleyes:

thomashoward
02-07-2012, 7:17 PM
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/clmntine/cal%20guns/ORMDLabel.gif
print it tape to the box go on line pay for it give to a ups or fedx driver Don
^^
the UPS woman I got on the phone said draw a rectangle write ORMD under it, write cartridges for small arms. My package shipped no problems

gave me this number. UPS hazmat Center 1-800-554-9964

EOD Guy
02-08-2012, 7:27 AM

They were correct for air shipments. FedEx does not allow ORM-D Air to be used.

EOD Guy
02-08-2012, 7:29 AM
^^
the UPS woman I got on the phone said draw a rectangle write ORMD under it, write cartridges for small arms. My package shipped no problems

ORM-D is being removed from the DOT Hazmat regulations effective 1 Jan 2014. Many shippers will stop accepting ORM-D shipments in 2013 or sooner.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-08-2012, 2:42 PM

I asked for the cheapest price. That's what that they told me. I figured it would go ground.

sevenspringsarmory
02-23-2012, 8:56 AM

You can send Ammo Fedex Air ....but it has to be shipped as a hazmat item. The ORM-D isn't the correct marking for Air ....I think it is 1.4S. And they charge a hazmat fee on top of the weight based charge. Unless your shipping ammo to hawaii or alaska it is cost prohibitive to send it via air and even then there are better ways to ship to hawaii or alaska.

EOD Guy
02-24-2012, 8:00 AM
You can send Ammo Fedex Air ....but it has to be shipped as a hazmat item. The ORM-D isn't the correct marking for Air ....I think it is 1.4S. And they charge a hazmat fee on top of the weight based charge. Unless your shipping ammo to hawaii or alaska it is cost prohibitive to send it via air and even then there are better ways to ship to hawaii or alaska.

Cartridges, Small Arms is classed as a Division 1.4S explosive material when shipped by air. Air carriers follow the ICAO regulations which do not allow an ORM-D packaging exception.