View Full Version : Selling an "altered" handgun question

02-05-2012, 9:02 AM
Good morning. I have a quick question for you FFL's.....I am considering selling my Ruger LCR. It came from the factory with the CT laser grips, and as such, carries a specific model number and Ruger catalog number associated with having laser grips from the factory. Here is the "rub".....I did not like the feel of the laser grips at all, and replaced them with a standard grip from another LCR. I subsequently sold the laser grips. Can I legally sell this gun even though it no longer has the factory "model specific" grips? I ASSume the answer is yes, but you know how it is when you ASSume things. Thank you in advance!

02-05-2012, 9:34 AM
the question would be, by altering the grips, have you taken it out of its rostered configuration and if it would no longer be considered rostered. Now, the chances of the FFL noticing that it went from one rostered configuration to another is slim since you used the factory non-laser grips.

But if you do a PPT transfer of the firearm at the FFL, it doesn't matter if it is in a rostered configuration or not. PPT transfers are exempt from needing to be on the roster.

02-05-2012, 9:39 AM
I would guess that changing from one factory grip to another factory grip (which is sold in Ca. under a different model number), I just revised it to a different rostered configuration? Either way, as this would be a PPT, it sounds like I am in the clear to sell this gun.