PDA

View Full Version : WAPO strikes again: "Lax U.S. gun laws enable killing in Mexico"

SanPedroShooter
02-05-2012, 8:03 AM
The level of cognitive disonance engaged in by the editors at WAPO still strikes me as suprising. Perhaps its naive of me to think that all the misrepresenting, prevaricating, and blatant falsehoods they engaged in before the Fast and Furious story broke would teach them a lesson about digging a little deeper into a story before they print it. Obviously not....

They are back it, their numbers slightly adjusted, but telling the same lies.

Incredible. This kind of glaring and arrogant narrative driving is what I would expect from brady or the VPC, not a the paper that broke "Watergate"....

Law enforcement officials in both countries acknowledge that 70 to 80 percent of the traceable guns seized in Mexico can be tracked to the United States. Mr. Poire Romero, a top Mexican national security and criminal justice official, offers additional evidence that the United States has been an enabler of the violence.

Yet Fast and Furious was a well-intentioned, misguided response to and not the cause of the proliferation of illegal guns in Mexico. To stanch that flow, the Obama administration and Congress should heed the pleas of Mr. Poire Romero and his countrymen by reviving the assault weapons ban and closing the gun show loophole that makes it far too easy to sell weapons without a background check. The White House and lawmakers should work to enact a federal firearms trafficking statute and call for stiffer penalties for illegal straw purchases. Lawmakers also should confirm a chief for the ATF and give the beleaguered agency enough money and personnel to fulfill its mission of keeping illegal guns out of the hands of criminals on both sides of the border.

Really...? I actually agree with the bolded part. I think the first people charged under such a law should be the Eric Holder and the others responsible for gun smuggling south of the border and the murder of a federal agent.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/lax-us-gun-laws-enable-killing-in-mexico/2012/02/02/gIQAWb9CqQ_story.html

winnre
02-05-2012, 8:07 AM
Because tougher laws make people stop committing crimes?

Massan
02-05-2012, 8:10 AM
Key word, traceable

So 1k guns recovered, only 10 are traceable, thus that means 7-8 of them was actually "bought" or had records in the US. Remaining 993 stolen from Mexican military, smuggled from south of Mexico, etc.

Maestro Pistolero
02-05-2012, 8:12 AM
My Reply:
What a piece of trash. The number is well-known to be closer to 17 percent.

Mexico, which has near total gun control, has a violence problem to a degree not seen in the US, where here these weapons may be bought freely and possessed by anyone not prohibited.

So the WaPo would have us adopt the Mexican model of gun control? To what end? Would the author be satisfied when severed heads are posted on OUR bridges?

And then:
The Cartels are in the business of contraband. If we think for one second that supply-side gun control will have the slightest effect on traffic, let us examine our success with that approach vis a vi the drug trade.

Again, the problem isn't the weapons. or we would have worse violence in the US, where they are freely available to citizens. The problem is that in Mexico ONLY outlaws have the military semi automatic weapons, a condition that the WaPo would have us replicate in the US.

Good thinking.

SanPedroShooter
02-05-2012, 8:17 AM
The numbers obviously fall into the "damn lies and statistics" category. I was more concerned about the stance the paper has taken especially before and now after F&F. Recall the pages of articles they had about the "top illegal gun dealers in the US", all set up by the ATF in their "well intentioned, misguided" efforts.... and the now infamous "90%" lie turned into the "70 to 80% lie", repeated by everyone from the Secretary of State to the President.

They must have incredibly short memories over there. All the usual suspect gun grabbers and banners havent touched F&F with a ten foot pole, yet WAPO charges in at every opportunity, only to be caught in web of lies and White House propaganda only to do it again....

Wow.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment over there. We are watching them. I cant imagine what it was like to live in the days before "third party media" like the internet. We'd all probably be in line at the police station turing in our "assault weapons"..... Either that or causing a run on shovels and plastic garbage bags....

"When the time comes to bury your guns, thats the time to dig them up again."

Lugiahua
02-05-2012, 9:48 AM
I would like to know from WAPO,
where can I find a gun store in US with M60 machine guns, LAW, and hand grenades?

Stonewalker
02-05-2012, 10:00 AM
The level of cognitive disonance engaged in by the editors at WAPO still strikes me as suprising. Perhaps its naive of me to think that all the misrepresenting, prevaricating, and blatant falsehoods they engaged in before the Fast and Furious story broke would teach them a lesson about digging a little deeper into a story before they print it. Obviously not....

They are back it, their numbers slightly adjusted, but telling the same lies.

Incredible. This kind of glaring and arrogant narrative driving is what I would expect from brady or the VPC, not a the paper that broke "Watergate"....

Law enforcement officials in both countries acknowledge that 70 to 80 percent of the traceable guns seized in Mexico can be tracked to the United States. Mr. Poire Romero, a top Mexican national security and criminal justice official, offers additional evidence that the United States has been an enabler of the violence.

Yet Fast and Furious was a well-intentioned, misguided response to and not the cause of the proliferation of illegal guns in Mexico. To stanch that flow, the Obama administration and Congress should heed the pleas of Mr. Poire Romero and his countrymen by reviving the assault weapons ban and closing the gun show loophole that makes it far too easy to sell weapons without a background check. The White House and lawmakers should work to enact a federal firearms trafficking statute and call for stiffer penalties for illegal straw purchases. Lawmakers also should confirm a chief for the ATF and give the beleaguered agency enough money and personnel to fulfill its mission of keeping illegal guns out of the hands of criminals on both sides of the border.

Really...? I actually agree with the bolded part. I think the first people charged under such a law should be the Eric Holder and the others responsible for gun smuggling south of the border and the murder of a federal agent.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/lax-us-gun-laws-enable-killing-in-mexico/2012/02/02/gIQAWb9CqQ_story.html

WAPO: *fingers in ears* "na na na na na na na I can't hear you reality guns are bad na na na na".

Kind of gives me more hope for our cause, annoying as the anti-gunner's thrashings are :)

proclone1
02-05-2012, 1:15 PM
By: Editorial Board

Not surprising the idiot coward who wrote that trash doesn't even put a real name. I feel dirty for even visting washpo's website.

ALSystems
02-05-2012, 1:40 PM

Not surprising the idiot coward who wrote that trash doesn't even put a real name. I feel dirty for even visting washpo's website.
I don't think soap and water is enough.

How do you clean the filth after visiting a website as dirty as washpo? :confused:

SuperSet
02-05-2012, 1:44 PM
Dumb article driven by ignorance and hoplophobia. I still read WaPo daily because there are some things they do exceptionally well.

CalNRA
02-05-2012, 1:50 PM

The corrections, if ever, will be on page 96 of the website with no external link to it.

How far has WaPo fall from its mediocre heyday.

njineermike
02-05-2012, 1:52 PM
where can I find a gun store in US with M60 machine guns, LAW, and hand grenades?

That statement has been my reply to the uninformed who regurgitate the same tired, unsubstantiated line for a while now. True to form, it is ignored because it's a an inconvenient fact that punches a gaping hole in the thin veil of an argument they use. Then I ask where they get their ammo from, and the typical rhetoric ensues, with no logic capable of breaching the brainwashing.

Truth is, if they can smuggle container loads of drugs into the US, they can just as easily smuggle container loads of guns and ammunition into Mexico from the international black market where rocket launchers, machine guns and hand grenades ARE for sale. In fact it's much easier to smuggle a container of guns in than trying to buy them here, and way cheaper too.

ja308
02-05-2012, 2:00 PM
This leftist rag is nothing but another wing of the democratic party.
Those identifiying as liberal or humanist have no shame. There is no dishonor in telling even the most blatant lie! They do not like being caught at it .

Good job exposing the Washington "Bleep".

wapo has ZERO credibility , watch for AP to regurgitate this vile propaganda!

ja308
02-05-2012, 2:02 PM
Dumb article driven by ignorance and hoplophobia. I still read WaPo daily because there are some things they do exceptionally well.

Do you have an example of what they do "exceptionally well"?

Mulay El Raisuli
02-05-2012, 2:28 PM
Key word, traceable

So 1k guns recovered, only 10 are traceable, thus that means 7-8 of them was actually "bought" or had records in the US. Remaining 993 stolen from Mexican military, smuggled from south of Mexico, etc.

Yup.

And Maestro Pistolero makes a real good point as well. One that the WaPo (and all other gun grabbers ignore): If guns are the problem, then why isn't there just oodles of crime on THIS side of the border?

The Raisuli

SuperSet
02-05-2012, 2:34 PM
Do you have an example of what they do "exceptionally well"?

Sure, their military and national defense reporting team is top notch. Those folks verify their sources and can write about those subjects in depth. More specifically, I like reading Dana Priest'sam articles after reading her book, The Mission
There is a reason WaPo is consumed by professionals working in those fields every morning.

ja308
02-05-2012, 2:52 PM
Sure, their military and national defense reporting team is top notch. Those folks verify their sources and can write about those subjects in depth. More specifically, I like reading Dana Priest'sam articles after reading her book, The Mission
There is a reason WaPo is consumed by professionals working in those fields every morning..

Thank you for your response, I hope the book is enjoyable .
IMHO any publication that is so stupid to believe, they can solve the crime problem by registering , restricting or consficating my firearm ,has lost all credibility .

But of course I am not a proffessional , I guess.

Linh
02-05-2012, 3:54 PM
Key word, traceable

+1

Most guns in Mexico are not traceable. Seriously though does going to college make a person dumb or something. I can't believe people can't read and understand.

curtisfong
02-05-2012, 6:45 PM
My advice: stop reading editorials. They have nothing to do with journalism and never have.

Or perhaps you need it in pictures to make sure it sinks in:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/avatar_6feb8634e3d0_128.png (http://nyet.org/forums/Trollface.png)

ja308
02-06-2012, 12:03 AM
My advice: stop reading editorials. They have nothing to do with journalism and never have.

Or perhaps you need it in pictures to make sure it sinks in:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/avatar_6feb8634e3d0_128.png (http://nyet.org/forums/Trollface.png)

It is my experiance (limited as it is) that the editor publishes stories and articles that compliment his own point of view .

An example would be the Washington Times which is pro2A ! They feature stories where firearms are used in self defense . They also honor the foundation of America. Believing that our constitution makes us special.

The Washington Post will never print a PRO 2A story , instead they will focus on the child that was killed in a drive by . Even if the child was 20 and involved with the narcotics trade via gang activity .
The Washington post does not believe the constitution is special. They will do stories on slavery and injustice .

Possibly I mis interpreted your post , if so please clarify and my apoligies.

Whiskey84
02-06-2012, 4:38 AM
I don't think soap and water is enough.

How do you clean the filth after visiting a website as dirty as washpo? :confused:

With Hoppe's #9 :chris:

SanPedroShooter
02-06-2012, 4:51 AM

Whats funny is I did a little digging around to see where WAPO actually stood these days, or where the pundits put them, and most describe the paper as "NeoCon".....

That confused me a bit. I know that neocons would probably ban guns just as fast as liberal democrats would, probably for "national security"... and I understand that they do war and politic reporting well (they supported GWB and the invasion of Iraq and almost every RHINO candadate for pres in the last 10-15 years except for big 0) but when I see an article like this, and then signed by the editorial board.....? I say wtf?

Its not really the editorial, I understand people think this way, its the combination of stories before F&F (when they were the number one offenders, DOJ propaganda spreaders and White House water carriers) combined with the trash they still print......

Maybe they are just trolling me?

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad189/brentx39/yuno-3.jpg

wikioutdoor
02-06-2012, 5:38 AM
I love the government - on one hand lawless billionaires control mexico capable of maintaining a world wide trade in illicit goods - but on the other the best they can do for guns is some half *** century arms parts kits. Right ;)

One of the guys I work with is from Nicaragua and he laughs his *** off at this paranoia. In the little hole where he's from it's not uncommon for house to have 20 or more automatic weapons - just because.

I'm sure the cartel leaders are going to freak out when they can't buy crappy guns from us and have to buy military grade noricos by the ton from China instead.

Maybe I am wrong though and they got all these grenades from a Walmart

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04pZcWBfun9ax/610x.jpg

SanPedroShooter
02-06-2012, 6:46 AM
Ha ha, century arms, ha ha....

Still love me my WASR though...

The War Wagon
02-06-2012, 6:52 AM
"Idiot press & politicians lead to senseless gun deaths?!?!" :eek:

Whoda thunk it? :rolleyes:

ja308
02-06-2012, 8:24 AM
Whats funny is I did a little digging around to see where WAPO actually stood these days, or where the pundits put them, and most describe the paper as "NeoCon".....

That confused me a bit. I know that neocons would probably ban guns just as fast as liberal democrats would, probably for "national security"... and I understand that they do war and politic reporting well (they supported GWB and the invasion of Iraq and almost every RHINO candadate for pres in the last 10-15 years except for big 0) but when I see an article like this, and then signed by the editorial board.....? I say wtf?

Its not really the editorial, I understand people think this way, its the combination of stories before F&F (when they were the number one offenders, DOJ propaganda spreaders and White House water carriers) combined with
the trash they still print......

Maybe they are just trolling me?

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad189/brentx39/yuno-3.jpg

Could you be so kind as to provide me an example of a California republican who you would consider a neocon.

I know of a few in house of representatives and the US senate ,however I am unable to find any in California , senate or assembly .
In the past european born swarzenegger would qualify.

SanPedroShooter
02-06-2012, 9:27 AM
I'm confused. What does CA politcs have to do with the WAPO editorial board, in the context you raise? Are you posting in the wrong thread?

Here is the wiki article I was reading about the paper and their editorial board. I cant find the word "California" in it anywhere, which makes sense, since the print edition only comes out on the east coast/DC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_Post

Maestro Pistolero
02-06-2012, 4:25 PM
I'm confused. What does CA politcs have to do with the WAPO editorial board? Are you posting in the wrong thread?

Here is the wiki article I was reading about the paper and their editorial board. I cant find the word "California" in it anywhere, which makes sense, since the print edition only comes out on the east coast/DC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_Post

You've been around long enough to know that our concerns extend significantly beyond state lines. As the fight in CA has broad implications in the rest of the country, so does national news on 2A issue have relevance here.

curtisfong
02-06-2012, 6:39 PM
They feature stories where firearms are used in self defense

The *editorial* (aka opinion) section is not the place where "stories" are published. The OP's link was NOT to a "story".

It baffles me why they are consistently conflated by the general population. I blame TV, where the line isn't clear and is deliberately blurred by the infotainment news we have these days (msnbc, fox, etc).

SanPedroShooter
02-07-2012, 4:58 AM
You've been around long enough to know that our concerns extend significantly beyond state lines. As the fight in CA has broad implications in the rest of the country, so does national news on 2A issue have relevance here.

I absolutely agree. I was just didnt understand the other posters point about WAPO being described as a "neocon" paper and a supposed lack of neocon's in the California legislature (I agree...?).

Am I being dense? Go back and read the post above my last one. I must be missing something extremely obvious.

SanPedroShooter
02-07-2012, 5:12 AM
The *editorial* (aka opinion) section is not the place where "stories" are published. The OP's link was NOT to a "story".

It baffles me why they are consistently conflated by the general population. I blame TV, where the line isn't clear and is deliberately blurred by the infotainment news we have these days (msnbc, fox, etc).

You are correct, but this article was written by the "editorial staff"... This is not just the opinion of one pundit, I probably would have ignored it otherwise.

I imagine that editorial board has significant control over what the paper publishes and the tone and tenor of the articles in general. Recall the "top ten crime gun dealers" feature last year... that was no "editorial"

Of course that was at best, a grave mischaracterization, at worst, black propaganda....

I guess my point is, the "board" is unrepentant, and back to the same ol' tricks. Look for this piece (or parts of it) to appear as cited in everything from DOJ official testimony on the matter, as the party line, to brady fundraising letters and other "editorials". These are the marching orders.

njineermike
02-07-2012, 6:19 AM
I can hardly wait to see which letters of response they print. Since they get to cherry pick those, I'm geussing all the positive letters will be well written and reasonable, and all the negative letters will be from the least educated, least literate writers possible, so that all who disagree would appear to be inbred, trigger happy racist hicks.

Wherryj
02-09-2012, 2:21 PM
Key word, traceable

Actually, the key word should be "actually traced". The issue is that many of the guns are obviously NOT from the US (former Soviet bloc, Chinese, no serial numbers, etc.). These aren't even attempted.

It is only the ones that seem obviously from the US that are traced. There is also no mention of where they came from-direct US sales to the Mexican government, etc.

fatsteve
02-09-2012, 3:32 PM
I think therer trying to put a band-aid on a gushing neck injury so they can atleast say they tried.

I dont see why They make a deal about guns in mexico being used in crimes. To me, that would be like blaming Russia for all of the murders and war in Africa because they manufacture AK-47's.

Also, I tend to dissregard any writng that uses the term "assualt weapon" seriously. That word means whatever you want it to mean.

vantec08
02-10-2012, 6:05 AM
F & F was "well intentioned?" Excuse me, WAPO? Maybe the program origins was, but like everything else this administration has touched it had degenerated into a conspiracy to violate the Bill of Rights.

email
02-10-2012, 6:27 AM
What's the data on the untraceable guns? They either have serial numbers and can be traced from manufacturing, or they don't (and aren't from the US anyway).

These statements by our government do nit pass the smell test.

Paper Boy
02-10-2012, 6:42 AM

If you find one, let us know :D