PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do?

191145ACP
02-05-2012, 8:40 AM
I have a transfer that has been going on for two months now. A guy contacted me about a gun he purchased online in early Dec. I received it and am now trying to get the buyer to understand the requirements for the DROS, (ID, Proof for residency, Safety Cert…..). We have not started the DROS yet. After talking with this guy several times I have become concern that he is not playing with a full deck. He has not broken any laws in any of this, he has not BS’d me, he simply does not seem to comprehend what he reads or what is explained to him. My question to you all, is what would you do? Would you spoon feed him to help him through the process or would you look for a way to stop the whole mess? I just don’t have that warm fuzzy this guy is ready or able to safely own a firearm. BTW, we are talking about a .25ACP for a cost of $125.

****UPDATE from my original post*****
After a dozen emails and a couple of phone calls the buyer is walking away. He told me he was not a US citizen in one of the conversations, so I told him I would need to see his federal papers as proof he is in the US legally. It just does not get any more involved then with this guy. He started to wine and complain that I was changing the rules on him and he should have just lied and said he was a US citizen. I told him since he had already told me he was not a US citizen and he had to claim himself or list his citizenship on both the DOJ and Federal paperwork that if he falsified it I would request he leave my shop and I would be forced to report him to the authorities. Sometimes I really wonder why I do this. Anyway I have told him I needed to get this transaction done, he has cancelled three appointments now, and if he did not have the transfer at least started by the end of February I was going to start charging him for my time and storage of his gun. To say the least he was not thrilled with that and has now threatened to take me to court and sue me for slander. Not sure why he thinks he can sue me and I am not worry about this at all but just this morning I received an email stating he wished he had never heard of me and to do whatever I wanted with the gun that he will go buy another one someplace. I will contact the supplier to see if they will take it back and issue the guy a credit and if not contact my local LEO and turn it in. My logic there is he won’t be able to say I did all of this just so I could still his $125 gun!! Although this is a stupid situation, I am kind of glad knowing I have not been part of him getting his hands on a gun. I never really determined if he is stable, but he is most certainly off in his actions and mannerisms.

tenpercentfirearms
02-05-2012, 9:17 AM
I have a transfer that has been going on for two months now. A guy contacted me about a gun he purchased online in early Dec. I received it and am now trying to get the buyer to understand the requirements for the DROS, (ID, Proof for residency, Safety CertÖ..). We have not started the DROS yet. After talking with this guy several times I have become concern that he is not playing with a full deck. He has not broken any laws in any of this, he has not BSíd me, he simply does not seem to comprehend what he reads or what is explained to him. My question to you all, is what would you do? Would you spoon feed him to help him through the process or would you look for a way to stop the whole mess? I just donít have that warm fuzzy this guy is ready or able to safely own a firearm. BTW, we are talking about a .25ACP for a cost of $125.

Talk to local law enforcement and see if they know who he is.

After that, I have a hard time telling a guy he can or can't own guns. Plus $125 .25 ACPs are the exact guns for people like this.

You could also let him know that there is a storage fee for storing that firearm and that every month it sits in your safe it costs him $50. After another two months of him not getting on it, the gun pretty much will belong to you and then you don't have to sell it to him.

kemasa
02-05-2012, 3:36 PM
Personally, if you tell him what he needs to do for the transfer and can't manage to do that, I would not bother to do the transfer. If he has mental problems, then perhaps he is not the type that should have any firearms. You could offer to ship it to another FFLs or sell the firearm for him.

iamgbot
02-05-2012, 3:41 PM
Keep us updated, sounds like an interesting situation. Unfortunately you are in this situation.