PDA

View Full Version : Mosin M44 replacement stock

Rigma
02-05-2012, 3:38 AM
I see the value in keeping the character of my Izhevsk 1944 M44 stock, but I also want to prevent further damage and have a "cleaner" look and feel for a shooter.

I figure the best way to have both is to buy a replacement stock that I would feel no guilt in working down to the wood and applying a nice oil finish. It has all matching serials, and I don't really want to strip the metal parts for the replacement stock. I want a stock that is not stripped, so the original stock and metal can be preserved and simply put back on in the future.

I welcome your thoughts or recommendations. If you think it is a silly idea, a waste of money, or know a good place to find what I am looking for, let me know.

mosinnagantm9130
02-05-2012, 3:40 AM
An ATI stock should do the trick, unless you don't care for synthetic stocks.

Rigma
02-05-2012, 3:48 AM
An ATI stock should do the trick, unless you don't care for synthetic stocks.

I don't want a Monte Carlo stock, and I'm not sure I want synthetic. The effort involved in refinishing is not an issue, I enjoy little projects like that.

Rigma
02-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Anyone have a recommendation on where to pick up a replacement stock that is not a synthetic?

chillincody
02-09-2012, 1:10 AM
have you thought about a boyds stock there beautiful
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Boyds-Mosin-Nagant-Socks-s/172.htm

johnthomas
02-09-2012, 1:56 AM
I have 4, 91/30's and 2, M44's. All but one been torn down, cleaned and blued. The stocks have been stripped, stained and 10 to 15 hand rubbed coats of truoil on them. I have yet to have anyone that has seen them tell me I ruined them. I haven't had time to do the one, but for me, they look nice and new, only old.

SkyStorm82
02-09-2012, 4:12 AM
Johnthomas,
Did you blue them yourself? Post some pictures.

echo1
02-09-2012, 7:13 PM
I have an extra M44 stock. Where are you located? PAX

Rigma
02-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Those Boyds stocks are perrty...but not cheap either. I would rather do the work re/finishing and save a few bucks. Well, rather I need to.

I guess my best bet is finding someone with a spare, I thought maybe there was a website that had a supply and that might be more cost efficient.

My goal is to have a that new-old look, but still have the original stock untouched. Maybe I just need to get off the fence and pick a side...but I still have hope that I can have both.