PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Lazy AR Builder Buyer

a90cal
02-05-2012, 1:48 AM
Dear Calgunners
So I started last month with the idea of making a 1k AR. I conscripted a fellow CGer to help me with a parts list. It was great I think we cracked 1k by a couple bucks. So the next week I'm at my local gunshot checking out uppers and it all goes out the window when I bought an LMT lower. Now I figure screw it might as well get a matching upper. My dilemma is I am running low on formula for my kid and I have to make a choice upper or formula. what should I do please help.

Signed: A formula for disaster

P.S Massey is a tool and Froglube is indeed awesome on a sandwich!

Norcal Industries
02-05-2012, 2:11 AM
lmt's are very nice. and if you paid 400 or less for the lower, 1k should still be no problem.

socalbowhunter
02-05-2012, 2:19 AM
If you're at all serious about going broke on this purchase and having a hard time feeding your kid, I think you're leaning towards the wrong decision. Maybe you should have just gone to Turners and bought a nice S&W MP15 for $679.99 and been happy with it. Or wait until you're more financially secure.

If you're just joking about going broke, the putting together an LMT is a great choice. You could get in under $1100, and that isn't a bad compromise on your budgeted 1k.

tradecraft
02-05-2012, 2:35 AM
You can always drop that kid off at a nearby fire station to clear your home of distractions :)

The War Wagon
02-05-2012, 2:58 AM

EXACTLY. :facepalm:

Throw your damn 'budget' out the window, and build a QUALITY AR. Once you do, you'll forget all about the... 'budget... :rolleyes:

Bobby Ricigliano
02-05-2012, 4:05 AM
For the vast majority of recreational / HD purposes, I don't see there being much difference between a basic Stag/S&W/DPMS type AR and the ultra expensive 'boutique' style rifles. The various AR type rifles I used in the military and as an LEO were older and pretty beat up. They all worked fine with proper maintenance and shot true once zeroed.

People should buy whatever they like that fits their budget and appeals to them cosmetically. However I must disagree with the gun show commando mentality that only the very 'best' components will suffice when building a rifle. I'd sooner get a basic AR with good iron sights and maybe an optic and spend the rest of my money on ammo, magazines, and training.

Just my .02.

Bobby Ricigliano
02-05-2012, 4:08 AM
Dear Calgunners
So I started last month with the idea of making a 1k AR. I conscripted a fellow CGer to help me with a parts list. It was great I think we cracked 1k by a couple bucks. So the next week I'm at my local gunshot checking out uppers and it all goes out the window when I bought an LMT lower. Now I figure screw it might as well get a matching upper. My dilemma is I am running low on formula for my kid and I have to make a choice upper or formula. what should I do please help.

I hope you are joking about formula for your baby. I'd sell the shirt off my back before I'd ever let my kid go hungry.

lophed
02-05-2012, 4:31 AM
Take care of feeding your family first, then you will have clarity and peace to know how to proceed. For me in this similar situation, I just had to wait a couple more months, then get the gun I wanted.

The War Wagon
02-05-2012, 4:40 AM
"Budgets" are to "AR builds" like Barry Sotero is to... "Hawaii"... :rolleyes:

- Identify the best gear, that works for YOU (my astigmatism won't work with EOTechs, so I run Aimpoint, Trijicon, or Leupold optics, as an example)!

- If you can't buy it all upfront, buy pieces as you can, but don't COMPROMISE on the quality.

- Look for 'gently used' gear on the 'for sale' threads - here, and elsewhere.

- Pinch pennies 'til they SCREAM. Brown bag your lunch; cut out snack machine goodies; drink more water and fewer soft drinks; switch to a lower octane gas. Sell lots of other CRAP (Beany baby collections, old jewelry you don't need/never wear anymore, have a yardsale, etc.), to purchase the other needed items for your build.

- Build it, like YOUR life - AND THE LIFE OF YOUR FAMILY/LOVED ONES - depended on it. I have 4 small, special needs children, and a wife who will go flibertyjibbets at the sound of firecrackers. I'm 800 miles from my relatives - 1,800 miles from hers. I'm ALL they have. In the WORLD. I MIGHT break - I WILL die... eventually... Having a sucktacular rifle crap the bed should NOT be the reason I die 'sooner,' rather than 'later,' however.

- When done, train, Train, TRAIN with it, like your life depended on it (see above). I've done some training - I need MORE. When the world ends, we're not all going to go outside in the bright yellow sunshine, and compare who has the NICEST/cheapest/most expensive/sexiest/dumbest/most craptacular/prettiest/weirdest/etc. AR15 build. We're gonna fight to the DEATH with them. We should die, LONG before our tools do - especially since we KNOW how to build BETTER ones.

Here endeth the lesson.

Arkangel
02-05-2012, 5:51 AM
1st: Feed your family, they should come first above all

2nd: I started with a "budget" too, that went out the window faster than common sense in a room full of democrats. Build your rifle with whatever quality parts you want. It's your rifle and it's your choice. If money is a problem,then simply take your time and be patient.

sonnyt650
02-05-2012, 6:09 AM
You can't be serious about the kid, so the reality is you're breaking the budget for a pretty roll mark. Inability to stick to a budget plan is all on you: there are plenty of sub-$1k ARs that are fantastic rifles, and it's a rare rifle these days that fails to perform at that cost level. True if you want the last 10% or so of durability or precision those will run you more, but ammo alone so you notice that 10% will cost quite a bit more than the difference -- pick your poison.

:boxing_smiley:

5.56Geo
02-05-2012, 7:36 AM
Buy the wife a breast pump and fed the kid for free:p, kind of like reloading your own ammo. There your problem is solved.:D

HK Dave
02-05-2012, 7:46 AM
To the OP: Troll much?

If your post is serious about choosing between formula for your kid or getting a gun, well frankly, you're an *******.

pacifico23
02-05-2012, 8:04 AM
He's got to be joking. If not he should be banned just for thinking of starving his kid over buying a LMT upper...

trg-s338
02-05-2012, 9:36 AM
I'm almost certain he was using hyperbole... I think.

Agent Tikki
02-05-2012, 10:19 AM
just get the Palmetto State Armory mid length lightweight rifle kit. Very affordable, great specs.

Arias
02-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Dear Calgunners

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/bawanaal/ebb22674_not-sure-if-serious.jpg

peter95
02-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Easy... If you are serious.

option a)

Buy AR, starve your children

option b)

Dont buy AR, feed family

Common
02-05-2012, 1:58 PM
A90,

I have some contacts in Mexico that can take the kid off your hands. They pay top dollar for prime babies to sell to good Irish homes. This will solve 2 problems. You won't need to buy formula and you will have extra cash to pay for a quality upper. I think you will agree that this "modest proposal" is worth considering.

Common

arsilva32
02-05-2012, 2:28 PM
Buy the wife a breast pump and fed the kid for free:p, kind of like reloading your own ammo. There your problem is solved.:D

this^^^^

a90cal
02-05-2012, 3:42 PM
Yes, of course I was joking about the formula, my wife is going to breast feed until we send the little scamp to the commune. What does everyone think about getting high quality internals(BCG) in a bargain bin stripped upper. Also I was thinking about getting a 2nd .50 Beowulf upper anyone have any experience with them?

I am here only to amuse you and insult your intelligence!

Ponderosa2
02-05-2012, 3:56 PM
My wife breastfed our daughter for the first year as is recommended. Yes, that's one year of FREE food!

Common
02-05-2012, 4:25 PM
Nutn fancy recommends breast feeding till the age of 16. I would use that as a minimum

RuggedJay
02-05-2012, 4:47 PM

You still gotta feed the wife.

Moonshine
02-05-2012, 4:53 PM
My build which I think is a good quality/price compromise:

Tactical Innovations Lower $80
Palmetto State Armory Magpul MOE lower Parts Kit (includes MOE grip and stock) $124
Bravo Company bolt and charging handle $126
Daniel Defense 1.5 fixed detachabled BUIS $105
Palmetto State Armory Upper with Midwest Industries T9 Rail and low pro $420

So for $855 there's still money left over for the obligatory bullet button (which you'll need before even attempting this build) and some optics later on when you find the cash (I was thinking an EOtech 512)

IntoForever
02-05-2012, 5:15 PM
Go for the quality build, you can rob a quickie-mart with the new toy for the money or just cut the formula with cooking flower.

john doe
02-05-2012, 10:58 PM
i was so lazy i just bought a ddm4

chrisf
02-06-2012, 12:57 AM
I really hope your joking about your kid...... Heck my $550 ar has yet to have any issues after 15,000+ of cheap tula.