PDA

View Full Version : Stolen firearms

DB2
03-26-2007, 2:40 PM
Disclaimer: I nor my father do not own or have in our possesion any fire arms that have been stolen or know of any one that has.:)

I have a hypothetical question about a stolen hand gun. I have been pondering this for a while and asked a few and noone seems to be sure. Here is the the senario.....................

Father dies and leaves son his firearms. Son decides to do the right thing and register them in his name. Son sends off paper work on all handguns to DOJ. Now back in the 80's and 90 dad was buying alot of guns from private parties and didn't need to register them. Son knowing this decides to register them anyway not knowing where most of these guns actually came from, because dad would never steal a gun from anyone, but maybe might have purchase one unknowingly?

Now being that the last time any handgun could have been bought here in CA. legally and not been registered would have been December 1990, and that being 16 years ago, is there any chance of the gun(s) coming back stolen? Would son be visited by the Jackboots in the middle of the night? Is there a statute of limitations and it is out of the system? Or is once it's reported stolen it will always be a stolen firearm. WOW so many questions:eek:. Now there is always the chance of it not being reported stolen and still is, but thats another deal.

Good lord now that I asked this, I hope I don't get a knock on my door.:p

mikehaas
03-26-2007, 3:19 PM
...Now being that the last time any handgun could have been bought here in CA. legally and not been registered would have been December 1990...
???

My understanding is that California has been registering handguns long before that. if I had to state a year, 1913, I think, from memory. While I can't find the specific year, GunCite.com states "...California has had de facto handgun registration in some form for over seventy years..." here:
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_registration.html

Mike

ViPER395
03-26-2007, 3:26 PM
I have a related ?.

Lets say a friend of mine disarmed her drunken landlord in the 1970s while he was waving around a chambered Semi-auto handgun.

Lets say my friend never gave said gun back, forgot (no malice intended), landlord dies, she moves.

Semi-auto pistol still in said womans posession 30 years later.

How can said friend find out about its status covertly, or can she register it using the online form? Could she claim it as inherited?

Is there even a paper trail on a pistol back then?

Someone help.

bwiese
03-26-2007, 3:32 PM
???
My understanding is that California has been registering handguns long before that. if I had to state a year, 1913, I think, from memory. While I can't find the specific year, GunCite.com states "...California has had de facto handgun registration in some form for over seventy years..." here:
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_registration.html

Yes, in spirit.

In practicality, before Jan 1 1991, unpapered private party transfers of firearms were legal. You could even buy a gun in the back of a bar, so to speak.

In CA really only new store-bought guns had these regulations. People moving in from out of state added to the pool of unpapered guns, along with guns that have had a dozen or more trades in their history.

So a huge proportion of guns had such a long history of multiple unpapered transfers behind them, possibly floating in & out of state as people move in & out of state, that they're essentially untraceable without spending thousands of dollars of staff time to get details on one gun's history from the manufacturer.

The SoCal Gunner
03-26-2007, 5:22 PM
What the DOJ told me was to call the local PD and give them the info of the firearms. Of course that will only let one know whether said firearms are stolen. I do not know whether the firearms would remain in the current owner's possession or if they would need to be surrendered.

DB2
03-26-2007, 6:22 PM
What the DOJ told me was to call the local PD and give them the info of the firearms. Of course that will only let one know whether said firearms are stolen. I do not know whether the firearms would remain in the current owner's possession or if they would need to be surrendered.

I do know from a past experience that if a firearm is unregistered and ran through the computer, will come up no history if it is clean. At that point it wasn't an issue. It's funny how I cannot find any info on how long a firearm stays in the system once it's reported stolen. Probably something they really don't want you to know.:rolleyes:

randy
03-27-2007, 1:12 AM
If the firearm comes up stolen you'll have to turn it in. You will have to explain how you got it. You followed all the laws you won't be in trouble. That treasure from Dad will go to the RO of the gun or the family of the person that filed the police report.

Matt C
03-27-2007, 1:35 AM
Make sure you call from a payphone...

Sal
03-27-2007, 9:32 AM
i've actually wondered this myself, my dad purchased alot of pistols pre-92' when he was younger and still was into shooting, but he cant remember when/who he bought them, he was going to intra-familiar a few to me but im somewhat paranoid about them coming up as stolen. it just seems odd to me that it was legal to buy/sell guns paperless/FFL-less back then.

I'd hate to send in the intra-familiar and then lose the gun, or worse get my dad into trouble for something we didnt know about.

Sam Hainn
03-27-2007, 10:18 AM
... No one on here does anything illegal. Everyone with standard capacity mags has purchased them long before 2000 or found them. But I bet if that happened a lot less people on here would have a lot less "friends."...

No, we don't. I don't like the insinuation that we're breaking the law anyway, though we hold ourselves up as law-abiding. I have found that most people here don't break the law.

I don't think it's cute to be coy about it, especially in a post on this website. Verbally among friends? ok, ha ha, but posting that kind of corner-of-your mouth speak here goes against what we should be about. if you wish to be cutesy about breaking the law, like some kind of mischievous school-girl, you should take it elsewhere and don't project your implied tendency to break the law on us. i would like to steer clear of those kind of people just as I steer clear of drug dealers.

AJAX22
03-27-2007, 10:21 AM
I know a woman who's husband died and left her a .44magnum S&W, she decided that it was too big for her needs so she went to sell it. It was flagged as stolen in the computer, (actually stolen in a violent home invasion robery two decades ago) They stopped the sale, and came to ask her questions, she just said it was my husbands, he bought it years ago from someone, please return it to the lawfull owner.

No harm no foul.

6172crew
03-27-2007, 1:08 PM
I have a cop buddy run my stuff but DROS would cathc that anyhow. I was given a handgun from ol grampy and it came back w/ no history.

DB2
03-27-2007, 4:57 PM
i've actually wondered this myself, my dad purchased alot of pistols pre-92' when he was younger and still was into shooting, but he cant remember when/who he bought them, he was going to intra-familiar a few to me but im somewhat paranoid about them coming up as stolen. it just seems odd to me that it was legal to buy/sell guns paperless/FFL-less back then.

I'd hate to send in the intra-familiar and then lose the gun, or worse get my dad into trouble for something we didnt know about.

This is exactly why I have this question. Some day I'll probably inherit a small collection of fine firearms, and being that he was able to buy paperless from a PP back in the day, I wouldn't want to be put in a situation where none of us knew of a problem. Not to say there is one anyway.

There is nothing illegal going on here, just a not so simple question.:)