PDA

View Full Version : what are your local ffl's charging for mail order guns lately?

hayaku
02-04-2012, 11:43 PM
i'm curious as to which ffl's have the best prices/fees for mail order guns?

i'm hearing they charge tax now, some kind of fee, and dros which makes mail order not so attractive anymore...

any place just charge dros anymore?

thanks

effbeeeye
02-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Per a recent law, they must charge tax.

tax + DROS + transfer fee

Once A Pawn a Time in Glendale charges $85 for transfer. I found some cheaper rates, but they were like a 40 min drive from me. In LA traffic I'd rather pay an extra $20 than deal with driving. Just dont go to Gun Gallery in Glendale. They ripped me off with their transfer fee when I bought my first handgun, I didn't know better.

Shop around. Give a few places a call. I saw a thread(s) here about FFL transfer fees. Bud's lists transfer fees for some FFL's on their sites.

hayaku
02-04-2012, 11:55 PM

Once A Pawn a Time in Glendale charges $85 for transfer. I found some cheaper rates, but they were like a 40 min drive from me. In LA traffic I'd rather pay an extra $20 than deal with driving. Just dont go to Gun Gallery in Glendale. They ripped me off with their transfer fee when I bought my first handgun, I didn't know better.

Shop around. Give a few places a call. I saw a thread(s) here about FFL transfer fees. Bud's lists transfer fees for some FFL's on their sites.

what is the tax on? their transfer fee? or the selling price of the gun?

thevic
02-05-2012, 12:11 AM
California Derringer in San Mateo is great with prices. Last online order I did was $40 including dros for a $500 shotgun. It will only be slighty more for a $1000+ firearm

G60
02-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Zero transfer + tax + DROS.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
02-05-2012, 7:45 AM
I have seen as high as $100 and seen $60 and best I have seen is $35 in center cal

EXTREMEOPS1
02-05-2012, 7:48 AM
Luckily no sales tax on purchase at FFL as I purchased the weapon in my state and was charged sales tax at point of sale. Transfer fee was $30.

NapaCountyShooter
02-05-2012, 7:59 AM

Selling price of the gun.

Gnome
02-05-2012, 8:30 AM
Worst I've seen was "first born child" and the best was "an arm and a leg." ;)

shooterdude
02-05-2012, 8:42 AM

This is sales tax on the price of the gun. The BOE has it clearly spelled out on their website and its been law for many years. This subject has been talked to death on this forum.

A gun store must charge state sales tax on out of state transfers and is required to keep records and pay to the state. If they don't charge the customer, that is their fault and they are still required to pay it to the state.

You may think that a gun store is doing you a favor by not charging the tax but they are really doing themselves a disservice that threatens their ability to remain in business.

It is really just that simple.

PS: F**K YOU if you are being un-American and trying to avoid paying your taxes per the law. If you don't like the law then do the American thing and lobby/vote for change.

cindynles
02-05-2012, 9:13 AM
My local FFL charges $60 + DROS + Tax.

gono
02-05-2012, 9:35 AM
$50 plus dros/tax at bullet barn guns in upland

skibuff
02-05-2012, 9:42 AM
This is sales tax on the price of the gun. The BOE has it clearly spelled out on their website and its been law for many years. This subject has been talked to death on this forum.

A gun store must charge state sales tax on out of state transfers and is required to keep records and pay to the state. If they don't charge the customer, that is their fault and they are still required to pay it to the state.

You may think that a gun store is doing you a favor by not charging the tax but they are really doing themselves a disservice that threatens their ability to remain in business.

It is really just that simple.

PS: F**K YOU if you are being un-American and trying to avoid paying your taxes per the law. If you don't like the law then do the American thing and lobby/vote for change.

Please don't start a pissing war over this but it's California State Sales Tax on a purchase made out of state. It has nothing to do with being Un-American. (Anti corupt California government yes)

skibuff
02-05-2012, 9:51 AM
Back on topic My favorite FFL in Sac is Golden State Tactical charges $60+tax total out the door.

www.goldenstatetactical.com

Paperchasin
02-05-2012, 9:57 AM
The only reason I would mail order a gun is if my FFL of choice advises me to do so (due to inventory/stock issues), or I am importing a gun for SSE. Otherwise, I would do my best to bring my business to the local FFL where I plan on having the gun sent to. But your best bet would be to simply call the your nearby FFLs and ask them what they are charging. Transfer fees seems to range from $40-$80. Sales Tax and Dros fee are pretty much fixed.

LBDamned
02-05-2012, 9:58 AM
Please don't start a pissing war over this but it's California State Sales Tax on a purchase made out of state. It has nothing to do with being Un-American. (Anti corupt California government yes)

+1!!!

And "Voting" isnt going to do a damn thing about it. No one voted it in, and it wont be voted out... CA is the most taxed state in the country and for anyone to think it's un-American to get fed up about the ridiculous taxation in this state is out of their mind.

keenkeen
02-05-2012, 10:25 AM

Both...

Mana4real
02-05-2012, 10:26 AM
I was out with my buddy talking to the guy at mparms. I believe he said $60 for long guns, and $70 for handguns, that included the DROS, but plus California sales tax. Anyone close to the San Jose Area, that maybe a good option.

SacTown
02-05-2012, 10:32 AM
My FFL charges $25 + DROS + tax

www.goldenbeararms.com

LovingTheYear1911
02-05-2012, 12:31 PM
75 includes dros

xXx Sir Sik xXx
02-05-2012, 5:37 PM
100 include dros in Modesto

G60
02-05-2012, 5:43 PM
for anyone to think it's un-American to get fed up about the ridiculous taxation in this state is out of their mind.

Anyone else notice how ironic the statement that being upset over taxes is somehow un-american?

Those damn un-american guys that founded this country!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Boston_Tea_Party_Currier_colored.jpg

Press Check
02-05-2012, 5:45 PM
With Interstate Tax and Transfer Fee's, no more SSE's for me. If I want something, I will wait until it surfaces locally in the Classfieds.

JNunez23
02-05-2012, 6:40 PM
$35 plus DROS/Tax. PM me if you know of any better deals on the SFV.

sfhondapilot
02-05-2012, 6:49 PM
$55 + dros + tax on the price of the handgun plus tax on the $55 transfer fee. They only charge me $5/mo for storage if I have handguns backed up waiting for a DROS window.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
02-05-2012, 6:56 PM

:iagree: I use to buy my rifles from impactguns.com from 2004-2010 no tax only $70 for the transfer and dros, and now is tax+dros+transfer fees :(

pennywize
02-05-2012, 6:57 PM
$50 for transfer + dros

skyscraper
02-05-2012, 7:00 PM
30 for dros, 25 for transfer

skyscraper
02-05-2012, 7:01 PM
Both...

I thought you couldnt tax dros ?

calcustom
02-05-2012, 7:02 PM
$50 transfer/$25 DROS/ 8.5% TAX

Tyson
02-05-2012, 7:10 PM
Just outside Sac 25 + DROS + 10 additional firearm 60 + Tax, I shopped around.

keenkeen
02-05-2012, 8:20 PM
I thought you couldnt tax dros ?

He didn't ask about DROS...He asked if they charged tax on the purchase price of the gun or the dealer transfer fee.

Both are taxed.

aghauler
02-05-2012, 8:27 PM
i'm curious as to which ffl's have the best prices/fees for mail order guns?

i'm hearing they charge tax now, some kind of fee, and dros which makes mail order not so attractive anymore...

any place just charge dros anymore?

thanks

My local guy charges $55 which includes DROS fees. That is if you order and use your own money. If he has to pay for it first, I think he charges more.

ELIXIR
02-05-2012, 9:27 PM
$75 for dros/transfer... How do ffl's charge tax if on some orders there is no invoice? Do they just charge tax by what price you tell them?

Paperchasin
02-05-2012, 10:05 PM
How do ffl's charge tax if on some orders there is no invoice? Do they just charge tax by what price you tell them?

I'd like to know this as well...

brianm767
02-05-2012, 10:12 PM
$65 + tax, DROS included in the $65. Clovis Ca.

HKMadness
02-05-2012, 10:13 PM
The troll price gouger that owns santa fe guns told me $100 transfer fee. This is the same guy that during ammo dry spells buys out local walmart ammo and resells it at 300% the Walmart price. He had 50 rd boxes of wwb .45 for $49

Tripper
02-05-2012, 10:18 PM
funny how no FFL's have chimed in to brag about their transfer fees being the lowest

around here its between 50 and 150, +dros+tax

skyscraper
02-05-2012, 10:20 PM
He didn't ask about DROS...He asked if they charged tax on the purchase price of the gun or the dealer transfer fee.

Both are taxed.

Ohhhhhhhhh

skyscraper
02-05-2012, 10:22 PM
funny how no FFL's have chimed in to brag about their transfer fees being the lowest

around here its between 50 and 150, +dros+tax

How is that funny? Maybe they dont need to

TheBest
02-05-2012, 10:37 PM
In Sonoma County, the lowest I've found is $65 including DROS.

Highest is $150 - that's just the dealer fee.

Javi
02-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Props to D4ZORT for PMing me this FFL:

Pacific Coast Firearms- $40(DROS included)+applicable tax

http://www.pacificcoastfirearms.com/Home.html

Firepower Depot in Riverside is suppose to be around that price as well but I personally would try PCF next time because my last transfer attempt did not go the way I wanted it to with F.D.

bohoki
02-05-2012, 10:46 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3oVcJpvEuw42TJflViQehmWooO0la9 Jw7ERAd5QWJ13mtjqZXVw

Nor*Cal
02-05-2012, 10:49 PM

Both are taxed.

Tray Rifle and Pistol does not charge tax on the transfer fee or DROS. They also do not tax on SSE or magazine blocking fee's.

I don't know what the tax law is on gunsmith services but do know that the DROS charge should not be taxed.

Also, for those who asked about tax amount on transfers that do not ship with an invoice (price). The FFL is suppose to calculate the tax based on the value of the gun. It's up to the FFL to estimate its cost to the best of his ability. From my understanding, many will use the MSRP if you do not have a receipt/invoice.

And to add to the OP's post, I believe Tracy Rifle and Pistol charges $65 for transfers including DROS and $150 for transfers including SSE and DROS.

ODG23
02-06-2012, 12:11 AM
D&L Outfitters in Chico, Ca is $50 plus dros

Paperchasin
02-06-2012, 7:05 AM
Also, for those who asked about tax amount on transfers that do not ship with an invoice (price). The FFL is suppose to calculate the tax based on the value of the gun. It's up to the FFL to estimate its cost to the best of his ability. From my understanding, many will use the MSRP if you do not have a receipt/invoice.

Thanks for the response.

Can't buy anything here
02-06-2012, 7:22 AM
I paid $50 total last month. Used kemasa in Simi Valley.

shooterdude
02-06-2012, 7:23 AM
+1!!!

And "Voting" isnt going to do a damn thing about it. No one voted it in, and it wont be voted out... CA is the most taxed state in the country and for anyone to think it's un-American to get fed up about the ridiculous taxation in this state is out of their mind.

While no one voted for the policy, a majority voted for the people that created and signed into law the policy. It is not un-American to get upset about taxes, in fact it's incredibly American to get upset about taxes.

It IS un-American to simply not pay or try to cheat. Just like every citizen IS entitled to due process, the system is entitled to the same thing. If you don't like the system then get involved and change it as some people do. If you live in my (our) country then follow the rules and the process for changing them.

The War Wagon
02-06-2012, 7:42 AM
Local shoppe started charging $50 a transfer a couple years ago - Gander Mountain charges $75! :eek:

Got a couple local folk that JUST do transfers though - only $20 a pop there. :D Seeing as how MANY local shops are FUDD shops anyway, I've done MOST of my buying on-line the past 5 years anyways.

BEFORE you ask, I'm in Pittsburgh. PA. :facepalm:

keenkeen
02-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Tray Rifle and Pistol does not charge tax on the transfer fee or DROS. They also do not tax on SSE or magazine blocking fee's.

I don't know what the tax law is on gunsmith services but do know that the DROS charge should not be taxed.

Here is my understanding:

Taxed:
Cost of Gun
Transfer fee
Shipping charge

Not Taxed:
Labor or smithing services (I would put the SSE process in this area)
DROS

I think it's crazy that they are supposed to charge tax on the shipping and transfer fee but that is how it is.

I have used a few FFLs that are calling to transfer fee a "clean/inspect" fee and then not charging taxes on it.

BaysicRyan
02-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Kevin Smith in Martinez
$50 - Transfer (+ $25/each additional firearm)
$25 - DROS
Tax - Dependant on where the firearm was purchased

IVC
02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
It IS un-American to simply not pay or try to cheat. Just like every citizen IS entitled to due process, the system is entitled to the same thing.

No, the "system" is not entitled to anything. You might want to brush up on reality before attacking everybody.

The Supreme Court has ruled sales tax on Internet purchases unconstitutional. It is very American to listen to the Supreme Court. Just because a state decides to call it a "use tax" doesn't change the fact they are trying to collect a "sales tax" on Internet purchases which is illegal. That is also why the state always tries to settle any "use tax" case before it is used to set a proper precedent.

Calling "not paying use tax" cheating is like calling a cheater every driver who did 5 MPH over the speed limit on the freeway, but then didn't drive to the nearest police station to report himself and pay a fine. There are some people who do, but then there are some who live in rooms with rubber walls.

John Browning
02-06-2012, 12:56 PM
While no one voted for the policy, a majority voted for the people that created and signed into law the policy. It is not un-American to get upset about taxes, in fact it's incredibly American to get upset about taxes.

It IS un-American to simply not pay or try to cheat. Just like every citizen IS entitled to due process, the system is entitled to the same thing. If you don't like the system then get involved and change it as some people do. If you live in my (our) country then follow the rules and the process for changing them.

Your posts are where ignorance meets soapbox. You need to learn some basic history and then get back to us with your lectures. I don't know who your history teachers were, but you should track them down and slap them.

John Adams and Patrick Henry were both smugglers who did so to avoid paying taxes. Guess they were un-American and you should dig them up and shake your finger at them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Liberty_%281768%29

http://www.boston-tea-party.org/smuggling/John-Hancock.html

shooterdude
02-06-2012, 1:25 PM
Calling "not paying use tax" cheating is like calling a cheater every driver who did 5 MPH over the speed limit on the freeway, but then didn't drive to the nearest police station to report himself and pay a fine. There are some people who do, but then there are some who live in rooms with rubber walls.

Um..driving over the speed limit IS illegal, just as not paying taxes is also illegal.

People looking for ways to skirt the use tax are just as despicable as people who post where the speed traps are located so others can take alternate roads and, well exceed the speed limit. I have 2 words for people who try to skirt the law, one is profane and one is a pronoun.

modls7
02-06-2012, 1:36 PM
$75 Total.

keenkeen
02-06-2012, 2:09 PM
Um..driving over the speed limit IS illegal, just as not paying taxes is also illegal.

People looking for ways to skirt the use tax are just as despicable as people who post where the speed traps are located so others can take alternate roads and, well exceed the speed limit. I have 2 words for people who try to skirt the law, one is profane and one is a pronoun.

Oh yes....""F" those despicable un-American speeders and tax scofflaws, and OMG the ones who post where the speed traps are located are the worst. We should lock them all up or at least deport them.

:rofl:

shooterdude
02-06-2012, 2:13 PM
Your posts are where ignorance meets soapbox. You need to learn some basic history and then get back to us with your lectures. I don't know who your history teachers were, but you should track them down and slap them.

John Adams and Patrick Henry were both smugglers who did so to avoid paying taxes. Guess they were un-American and you should dig them up and shake your finger at them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Liberty_%281768%29

http://www.boston-tea-party.org/smuggling/John-Hancock.html

Smugglers don't typically leave a paper trail. When you buy a gun over the Internet and have it shipped to a LGS for DROS there is a ridiculously detailed paper trail of everyone's activity. So if you are comparing yourself to great Americans who helped form our country to avoid taxation without representation I suggest you don't insinuate that they were also dumb enough to leave a trail of evidence to the front door of their own house. John Adams was caught red handed if not for this fact he would have gotten away with his act.

The issue of that time was taxation without representation which was a causal act of the revolutionary war. Today, someone voted for all of the lawmakers that make these tax policies that you despise. We clearly have representation voted for by citizens just like you. WE vote for these these tax policies by proxy of the elected officials and are empowered to legally change them. John Adams and his contemporaries did not have this right.

IVC
02-06-2012, 2:26 PM

It's a free country so you get to call people what you want. It's a free country so the rest of us get to disagree.

You can join Warren Buffet and pay the extra taxes and fees you think the government is owed in order to make it "more fair". I will be happy to use 5A, 4A, 6A, 7A and 8A in that particular order to keep what is already mine. Just because it's the government taking it away doesn't make it any more someone else's or any less mine.

TwoAsoapbox
02-06-2012, 2:47 PM
All mine charges is $20 + DROS. No tax on out of state purchases...not yet at least. I love my FFL!

shooterdude
02-06-2012, 3:33 PM
It's a free country so you get to call people what you want. It's a free country so the rest of us get to disagree.

You can join Warren Buffet and pay the extra taxes and fees you think the government is owed in order to make it "more fair". I will be happy to use 5A, 4A, 6A, 7A and 8A in that particular order to keep what is already mine. Just because it's the government taking it away doesn't make it any more someone else's or any less mine.

I apologize to the forum. I should know better than to have a battle of wits with an unarmed individual.

IVC
02-06-2012, 4:46 PM
I apologize to the forum. I should know better than to have a battle of wits with an unarmed individual.

You are still trying to be cute after being told several times that all you are showing is arrogance. You made your point... repeatedly.

Now, if you have something of substance that actually contributes to the discussion, please post. Otherwise, it is more appropriate to use Twitter to post about how smart you are as there are way more people there who don't care either.

proclone1
02-06-2012, 5:07 PM
+1!!!

Furthermore, the reason I'm buying out of state is because CA thinks I shouldn't have the same model pistol but in a different color because it's "unsafe". So then when I have to pay MORE as a result of CA's senseless attacks against the 2nd amendment and their ridiculous grab at additional taxes (making manufacturers pay thousands each year to be maintained on the "safe list") they then want to tax me on what they wouldn't allow to be sold in the first place?? To that I say to CA "F**K YOU" and add in to go pound sand.

romeo26
02-06-2012, 5:29 PM
insight shooting range: 50 + dros +tax

We should have another teaparty...as a person who shoots and buys, i feel like I am NOT being REPRESENTED.

keenkeen
02-06-2012, 6:00 PM
insight shooting range: 50 + dros +tax

We should have another teaparty...as a person who shoots and buys, i feel like I am NOT being REPRESENTED.

I Kinda thought we did have another "teaparty"....:p

One78Shovel
02-06-2012, 6:27 PM
$75.00 +DROS
+TAX

-178S

Obviously a Plant
02-06-2012, 7:13 PM
If you like your FFL and the fees they charge, don't be shy about giving their name & number. Unless they specifically asked you not to, I am sure they would appreciate a good word on Calguns and the additional business it brings.

I, for one, will not use Bullseye in San Rafael because they charge $150+ tax/fees, or $300 if you call and ask. Diablo Valley Gun Works has charged me $75+ DROS on an in-state transfer, but it took too much leg-work on my end to make it a deal...

deebix
02-06-2012, 7:19 PM
Why can't you just tell the dude i paid 100 dollars for it so they dont gouge you on sales price...

keenkeen
02-06-2012, 7:27 PM
Why can't you just tell the dude i paid 100 dollars for it so they dont gouge you on sales price...

Because "the dude" won't believe you and then will charge you based on MSRP or tell you he will send it back to the seller on your dime and then your on the hook for another round of shipping to get it to another local FFL.

FFLs are not stupid when it comes to what guns cost...

:cool2:

skibuff
02-06-2012, 7:46 PM
Mine told me to bring my recipt or he had to charge full retail.