PDA

View Full Version : Mosin M44 bolt rust?

Raptor3000
02-04-2012, 9:43 PM
Hi Guys,

Is this rust on the bolt or just the finish is scraped?

If its rust what should i do, so that it doesnt spread.

Thanks

hypnoman
02-04-2012, 9:49 PM
might be rust or corrosion. After shooting milsurp ammo w/ corrosive primers some part of the bolt may look like that.

If you want to clean it try some fine steel wool or use the polishing wheel with a little polishing compound or chrome polish. You gotta clean her well soon after a session with milsurp.

Raptor3000
02-04-2012, 9:52 PM
This rifle was never shot after rearsenaled by russians. It still has cosmolin on it.

Do you think that will spread?
i just bought the rifle from a gentleman, who had this rifle in his safe for past 10years, but his safe had goldenrod and dessicants to keep moisture away.

thanks

OniKoroshi
02-04-2012, 10:14 PM
If you're worried about it use some steel wool and rub it gently.

Pete1979
02-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Bolt handle rust is pretty typical, just like handles on a mill or a lathe. The moisture from your hands can do that. Rub it with some steel wool and oil it.

hypnoman
02-04-2012, 10:45 PM
That thing is over 50 years old. It is likely reassembled with some part that saw some action, or at least test fired, and storage is no guarantee to keep moisture out. There are too many factors that contributed to that type of spot. It is like to spread. How much or little depends a lot on what you do with it from here on. This is very old metal, already aged . . . it should respond well to some polishing. I would spend some time and disassemble it, completely clean and oil it up.

McNally M.
02-04-2012, 11:09 PM
If that is the only location of rust than consider yourself lucky. A buddy of mine has a dog of a bolt on his '43 Izzy. Three quarters of the bolt matches the same color of the stock is so bad. It'll take him a whole afternoon and a lot of steel wool and polish to fix that puppy up.

Most my bolts are typical shiny to slightly worn to still silvery. But I have had a few bolt, three in particular that I ordered from Sarco that were covered in dried up cosmoline. At first glance I though it was all rust but a little rubbing alcohol took it all off and exposed manufacture stamps from Remington on one, and Chatellerault on another. Pretty cool I thought to have recieved such rare bolts for fairly cheap.

zhyla
02-05-2012, 9:17 AM
Do you think that will spread?

It's not cancer :). Just soak some oil on it and keep an eye on it. If I'm really worried about something I'll heat it up with a small torch just a bit so the oil flows in everwhere.

It looks more like patina than rust at this point.

Fate
02-05-2012, 9:31 AM
Get an old penny and use the edge to scrape it off. Then oil it and get back to shooting it.

Raptor3000
02-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Get an old penny and use the edge to scrape it off. Then oil it and get back to shooting it.

good advice.

Sorry for dumb question, what kind of steel wool people generally use to scrape the rust?

thanks

Peter.Steele
02-05-2012, 11:45 AM
good advice.

Sorry for dumb question, what kind of steel wool people generally use to scrape the rust?

thanks

Something not made of steel, for one thing. Copper wool won't damage the steel.

gunboat
02-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I do not like steel wool, even the finest, as it breaks off leaving bits of itself everywhere -- The advice to use copper wool is better, also brass wool. Most important is to get it cleaned and oiled.
If you can find one of the fine plastic scrub pads, they work well too.
my tuppence

Raptor3000
02-05-2012, 3:38 PM
I do not like steel wool, even the finest, as it breaks off leaving bits of itself everywhere -- The advice to use copper wool is better, also brass wool. Most important is to get it cleaned and oiled.
If you can find one of the fine plastic scrub pads, they work well too.
my tuppence

Where can i buy plastic scrub pads? any links?

thanks

Rustybore
02-05-2012, 7:32 PM
http://www.scotch-brite.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotch-BriteBrand/Scotch-Brite/

Rb.

Raptor3000
02-05-2012, 7:46 PM
http://www.scotch-brite.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotch-BriteBrand/Scotch-Brite/

Rb.

These are same as the ones used for dishes right?

thanks

Rustybore
02-05-2012, 8:18 PM
Yup, but if you want to explore the website, they make all kinds of grades/grits to use on different materials.
The ones I use are colored green (the common one used in the kitchen).
Afterwards make sure you wipe down what you polished with a paper towel, cloth, etc and lightly coat with a good gun oil.

Rb.

Raptor3000
02-06-2012, 5:43 PM
Guys, what polishing compound you guys recommend to remove rust and polish the bolt?

Mssr. Eleganté
02-06-2012, 7:02 PM
I'd be more concerned about the bare feet and bellbottoms in that photo. That could mean you have hippies, and hippies are way harder to get rid of than rust. A little steel wool and Slayer should take care of the problem.