PDA

View Full Version : Ammunition, gun parts and strangers in your apartment.

gose
03-26-2007, 2:44 PM
Unfortunately the owners of our apt decided to put it on the market. We can't deny them access to the apt, nor can we be home at all times they show the apt to potential buyers, so we will have strangers walking around in our apartment...
All my guns are securely locked up, so I'm not too worried about them, but I have too much ammo, gun powder and other gun parts to get it all into the safe.
What I'm mainly worried about is some kid snooping around and finding a stash of ammo and grabbing a few handfuls. I'm less worried about a felon snooping around and grabbing some, even if that is a (remote) possibility as well.

Wtf to do? I can't store the ammo in the safe, or in the storage room and I'm not too excited about putting it in the trunk of my car either....

Any advice?

Oh, and I told the owners about the situation (they know I own firearms, so it's not a surprise to them) and their only reply was that the agent assumes no responsibility for stuff in the apt.

RJ Dunn
03-26-2007, 2:47 PM
how about a friends or family members house

Fjold
03-26-2007, 2:48 PM
Get a suitcase and put it in the closet with a lock on it.

mike100
03-26-2007, 2:50 PM

excellent low cost idea...the word will never get out because nobody will incriminate themselves by admitting that they got into your bags.

grammaton76
03-26-2007, 2:53 PM
Oh, and I told the owners about the situation (they know I own firearms, so it's not a surprise to them) and their only reply was that the agent assumes no responsibility for stuff in the apt.

Hmm, seems like responsibility ought to fall back to the owner in that case. I understand the agent would be exempt, but the apartment-sniffers are more or less indirect guests of the owner, right?

smogcity
03-26-2007, 2:54 PM
You have the right to decide when you want the unit to be shown. Tell them (in writing) that you MUST be there for all showings and showings will be limited to xxxday & xxxday between xpm & xpm with 24 hour notice. As long as you provide RESONABLE access to the unit (and polite and friendly to the agent/clients) you are within your rights.

"Oh, and I told the owners about the situation (they know I own firearms, so it's not a surprise to them) and their only reply was that the agent assumes no responsibility for stuff in the apt."

No the agent doesn't, but the owner does! If a child hurts himself on a hazard that the owner is aware of, of a criminal access's weapons/ammo through the carelessness of the owner, Nor Cal lawyers will be lining up!

gose
03-26-2007, 2:55 PM

Two issues...

1. They'll keep showing it until they sell it or take it off the market, meaning that it would either have to stay in the suitcases a while or I would have to fill/empty them a couple of tomes / week.

2. Im not sure all the suitcases we have will be enough ;)

Matt C
03-26-2007, 2:58 PM
I think the problem is you are not acting crazy enough. Ask for a meeting and show up in full camo and face paint screaming about how you don't want the government snooping around in your "arsenal". Put some scare into them, and I bet they wait till you move out to show the Appt... ;)

gose
03-26-2007, 2:59 PM
Hmm, seems like responsibility ought to fall back to the owner in that case. I understand the agent would be exempt, but the apartment-sniffers are more or less indirect guests of the owner, right?

That's what I thought as well, but haven't really been able to find anything in writing about it..

You have the right to decide when you want the unit to be shown. Tell them that you MUST be there for all showings and showings will be limited to xxxday & xxxday between xpm & xpm with 24 hour notice. As long as you provide RESONABLE access to the unit (and polite and friendly to the agent/clients) you are within your rights.

Are you sure? The lease says that we have to give them access if given a 24h notice. Can't find the "reasonable" written anywhere. Also this would be somewhat impractical, since we can't really be there during weekdays without taking time off and if this drags on for a couple of months...

gose
03-26-2007, 3:01 PM
I think the problem is you are not acting crazy enough. Put some scare into them...;)

Yeah, I think that me cleaning my ARs and some handguns in my underwear probably would cut most of the visits pretty short :D

otoh, I don't have the same connections with the police and swat team here as I did back home, so I'm not sure how it would impact my future ;)

guimus
03-26-2007, 3:02 PM

I'm not sure what the law is on this, but declaring yourself not responsible does not make it so. As the current legal occupant, you're entitled to your belongings being safe in the apartment, even when you are not there. The agent absolving themselves of responsibility sounds to me like they're passing said responsibility on to the owner. Either way it is their (owner and agent) problem and not yours; not sure how far you want to push it, though. Personally, I'd insist that the owner; or a mutually trusted agent be present and responsible at any time when there are people in your apartment.

Scarecrow Repair
03-26-2007, 3:08 PM
Landlords have to give 24 hours notice before coming into the premises, except I suppose for emergencies, like fire, running water, etc. Get a renter's handbook -- talk to the renters assistance people. I'd be surprised if they can come into an occupied unit with no notice.

On the other hand, I don't know if the 24 hour notice requirement has to be accurate. A pushy landlord might be able to get away with a standing 24 hour notice, or call every morning to provide 24 hour notice for tomorrow, and if nothing happens, not his problem.

You seem to be on good terms with the owner. I don't mean to suggest you get confrontational and turn into a sea lawyer, but it would be good to know your rights.

rips31
03-26-2007, 3:09 PM
where in the bay area are you? if you're in/around sf, you're welcome to store it at my place.

adamsreeftank
03-26-2007, 3:20 PM
Just go to target and get one of those tall grey cabinets. They are thin sheet metal and not very expensive. One or two should hold all of your stuff.

If you have a surplus store nearby you could get a few foot lockers.

mike100
03-26-2007, 3:35 PM
The house that I should have purchased from a long time landlord was put up for sale and he knocked 10 percent off of the rent for the hassle of dealing with showings. it did take 5 or 6 months back in the 90's when the market was down....I wish I would have bought that shack for $160k...damn live and learn.

of course you can buy the condo and make everybody go away too.

CSACANNONEER
03-26-2007, 3:51 PM
Ask the owner if he will pay for a storage unit so that you can keep your ammo there. I'm sure he doesn't want to get potential buyers scared when they see over 1,000,000 rounds of ammo.

sargenv
03-26-2007, 4:11 PM
Um,

You can give it to me to hold onto. With all the junk in my garage, there is no way wife would know :D

But seriously, the suitcase sounds like a pretty good idea.. A couple soft sided cases can hold a lot of ammo..

Vince

Michael303
03-26-2007, 4:14 PM
Creepy. The management at my apartment complex has to give 24 hour notice before they enter unless itís for an emergency. While I wouldnít leave my guns and ammo out, I would probably just leave the place messy when they come by. No proper owner would want to try to do a sales pitch in a place thatís not kept well.

Or I guess you can always get a nice wood frame for one of those full body silhouette posters with a nice tight grouping in head and chest. That will keep your landlords from using your apartment.

gose
03-26-2007, 4:36 PM
We're on very good terms with the owners and the last thing I want is to turn this into an ugly fight and end up in court. The owners are not trying to pick a fight, they're just trying to sell their condo, so no reason for us to start one either.
I know that the guy has some registered stuff and is a very dedicated hunter, so I'm not worried about this turning into a fight about the ammo or my guns, being the paranoid me I just want to make sure I have my bases and *** covered.

I guess I'll try to shove some stuff into the safe and get the other stuff into suitcases and maybe make a couple of trips to the range to use up some of that bulky shotgun ammo ;)

Thanks for you input folks.

Wulf
03-26-2007, 4:38 PM
Quite frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. You're talking about people who are qualified buyers of investment property. They're not going to help your self to a handful of your ammo. I'd be more worried about them deciding the first thing they're going to do after escrow closes is evict the nut with all the ammo. Just store the stuff so that its not obvious what it is. A cardboard box for instance. There would be no cause for them to look into it and I doubt they'd be interested.

kilword
03-26-2007, 5:05 PM
dont forget to wear your tinfoil hat.

Yeah, I think that me cleaning my ARs and some handguns in my underwear probably would cut most of the visits pretty short :D

otoh, I don't have the same connections with the police and swat team here as I did back home, so I'm not sure how it would impact my future ;)

TheMan
03-26-2007, 5:33 PM
What about putting a key lock temporarily on a closet door? Assuming you have a closet with a door knob, then a quick trip to a hardware store would solve this.

dondo
03-26-2007, 8:11 PM
What about putting a key lock temporarily on a closet door? Assuming you have a closet with a door knob, then a quick trip to a hardware store would solve this.

The smartest idea yet.

E Pluribus Unum
03-26-2007, 8:26 PM
Renters have all of the rights. I used to manage 4 getto apartments so I ran into legal crap all of the time.

It may be the owner's house but its your home; remember that. Until you move out you have ALL of the rights regarding the premesis.

They must give you 24 hour WRITTEN notice before entry into the unit. They must list the date and the time. One hour is reasonable. This means that they must say "I will be at the apartment April 1st 2007 from 9-10am" in writing.

They cannot simply state "We are showing the house and will be entering at our will". It does not work that way.

Here is how it works:
They send you notice of entry; you can then reply and say that you will not be there at that time and that you will provide access to the house from x-x provided it is reasonable (you cannot say 2am-3am).

Don't just bend over; 95% of the time the new owners will evict you after they buy it so you will be homeless anyway.

shinigami
03-26-2007, 8:35 PM
If you're near El Cerrito, Berkeley area, you're more than welcome to store it in my place. My "gunroom" has some space. PM me if you want to.

bonjing
03-26-2007, 8:37 PM
time to sell a few things :D, and make room in that safe:p

thedrickel
03-26-2007, 8:39 PM
95% of the time the new owners will evict you after they buy it so you will be homeless anyway.

That is true unless there is a lease in place (which is not month to month).

You can get some of those big rubbermaid plastic tubs from walmart, target, home depot, etc for 10-15 bucks and you can put all kinds of junk in them and stack a few up depending on the weight.

rod
03-27-2007, 6:47 AM
Just go shoot all your surplus ammo. I'll help you if you want.

jester
03-27-2007, 8:00 AM
Dude, you're going to want to move anyway.
When the exact thing happened to me, and while they didn't find my guns, the new owners jacked up the rent. It went from $600 pm to $750 pm, and then one month later to $850. We're outta there and bought a home after that. And then we talked to a friend still next door, and thay had jacked it up to $1000 pm.All within a 6 month period.
Check that you might be in a rent control area.I wasn't.

Smokeybehr
03-27-2007, 9:16 AM

That's what I used for my gun closet when I lived in an apartment. I kept other valuables in there too. The perps left some nice fingerprints when they broke in and busted into the closet.

thedonger
03-27-2007, 9:45 AM
Last year I sold my house with an apartment out back.

We had open houses and made buyers agents call a few hours before they could come over. We also did not let them go into to apartments until the second visit so we could give the requisite 24 hour notice.

IF you don't want to make a stink, you should be fine the buyers agent's are responsible for any damages or theft their clients do. You might take pictures of your stuff as a protection.

But if you in the bay area and its a multi unit condo, the buyers are looking to drop some BIG coin to buy the place and are not likely to mess with a tenets stuff. IMHO

ARRRR-15
03-27-2007, 10:24 AM
I'll hold on to it for ya.:D

Who ever is showing the apt. should be able to keep a good eye on any buyers.

When I was shopping for a house, I went to this one open house. The realtor was showing us the house and decided to tell us the owners occupations. "Well the wife is a nurse and her husband is an FBI agent":eek:
All could think was, man I'd like to see his safe.:) But, then I thought this guy should probably not be telling other people this.

10TH AMENDMENT
03-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Find another apartment this week and move pronto.

In the mean time, take all of your ammo out of the apartment and put it in a storage space for a couple of months.