PDA

View Full Version : stop violent crime while LUCC?

Lugiahua
02-04-2012, 7:48 PM
There was a situation today:
I was in a parking lot out from lunch, a truck driver (6-2, about 200 lb) parked his truck over three lots. then when an little old lady asking him to move his truck so other people could park, this driver went in to rage, start yelling and cursing at the woman.

Thankfully, the lady immediately left the scene and De-esclaltinig the situation.

But I began wondering, what if the scene heated up and say...the driver began physically assault or brandishing a weapon.
Should I run back to my car and open the locker for weapon to stop the assault?

Not trying to play hero, but under current California law, can a citizen get his/her firearm from LUCC to stop ongoing violent crime?

Liberty1
02-04-2012, 8:12 PM
Get 'how to own a gun and stay out of jail'

As for your hypothetical, there appears to be a disparity of force between the two even in just a physical confrontation where it appears reasonable that a serious bodily injury might occur. One can also possess a loaded exposed firearm when making a lawful arrest.

Carry some pepper spray along with the gun even if you never deploy it as it shows you were prepared for lesser threats and not just 'looking' to shoot someone.

And BUY the above listed book.

PsychGuy274
02-04-2012, 8:14 PM
Yes.

Lugiahua
02-04-2012, 9:32 PM
Yes, I understand that pepper spray would be more appropriate when an attacker is unarmed. (who knows, there are crowbar and some tools in the truck, so he could be armed if escalated)

But I wasn't carry one today, so it made me wonder what should I do if firearms are the only options.

FatalKitty
02-05-2012, 9:03 AM
shooting someone over a parking space?

I would suggesting about 150 things to do before you pull a firearm in that situation

now I understand not all situations are the same - but right there... there was no need to be anywhere near a firearm even if the guy grabbed a crowbar

Fate
02-05-2012, 9:35 AM
shooting someone over a parking space?

I would suggesting about 150 things to do before you pull a firearm in that situation

now I understand not all situations are the same - but right there... there was no need to be anywhere near a firearm even if the guy grabbed a crowbar

Agree with you until you get to the crowbar part. Somebody introduces a crowbar and it's game on.

Lugiahua
02-05-2012, 9:42 AM
hey, if you read my post again, the guy was against a old lady while I was a bystander.

From I know, a 6-2 guy beating a 5-5 old lady is considered as deadly assault, not even mentioning he had a crowbar.
Unless the old woman has a LTC (which is highly unlikely in Co. Contra Costa) or a Taser, I don't think she could defend herself.

---
Moreover, I was just wondering if I could carry out citizen's arrest with LUCC, who knows what do I encounter next time? Rape? Armed Robbery?

fiddletown
02-05-2012, 11:10 AM
...what if the scene heated up and say...the driver began physically assault or brandishing a weapon.
Should I run back to my car and open the locker for weapon to stop the assault?...Be a good witness. Call 911. Shout to distract his attention and let him know that he's been observed. Take some photos with your cell phone.

[1] Intervening with lethal force in defense of third person can be dicey legally. A lot depends on exactly what happened and how it happened. For example, if the person you came to help could have safely deescalated the situation and didn't, your use of lethal for to defend that person could be tainted. Make sure you fully understand what is happening. Make sure you fully understand the law.

[2] If the guy really starts beating up the old lady, by the time you run back to your car, get your gun and make it ready, she's likely to be steak tartar.