PDA

View Full Version : SKS Question

thepunisher
02-04-2012, 3:40 PM
Just got back from shooting my new Romanian SKS that I put back together
with various parts. It was a barreled action that had a great bore.

My question is about the magazine follower, are the Romanian type supposed
to be longer than say a Russian or Yugo?

I was unable to load with a stripper clip without holding the carrier further back than were it was locked in place after being pulled back.

steve91104
02-04-2012, 3:48 PM
Let me know if you need any measurements. I'd be happy to take them and post them here.

Steve

SKSer45
02-04-2012, 3:49 PM
hmmm Romy's and Russians are nearly identical when it comes to parts. Do you have any photos that be great? You might have to do a wee bit a of filing.

How did it shoot though?

thepunisher
02-04-2012, 3:50 PM
If you could measure the follower that stops the bolt from going forward when you are loading I would be grateful. I think that is where my prob is.

thepunisher
02-04-2012, 3:53 PM
hmmm Romy's and Russians are nearly identical when it comes to parts. Do you have any photos that be great? You might have to do a wee bit a of filing.

How did it shoot though?

Well it shot pretty good, I was able to get that front sight over a bit to zero it.
I did have a a couple of cases that would not eject but I scrubbed the breech area with a little gun scrubber and a brass brush.

Pictures coming in a few minutes...

thepunisher
02-04-2012, 4:06 PM
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q537/Chad_Kinsey/DSCN1684.jpg

I do not think the bolt is being held back far enough to allow the bullets to feed into the magazine.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q537/Chad_Kinsey/DSCN1686.jpg

I think this is the offending part. It measures 1.32 inches.

SKSer45
02-04-2012, 4:07 PM
Well it shot pretty good, I was able to get that front sight over a bit to zero it.
I did have a a couple of cases that would not eject but I scrubbed the breech area with a little gun scrubber and a brass brush.

Pictures coming in a few minutes...

ahh you know what it might be...just a cleaning job. I had a problem with that too reason being is that little piece of medal wasn't coming up to stop the bolt, hold the magazine up, etc. It happened to my chinese once. I just took a cotton swab and cleaned it really good. It was really dirty and gunked up but once I did that everything was working fine and the rifle was cycling great.

thepunisher
02-04-2012, 4:28 PM
ahh you know what it might be...just a cleaning job. I had a problem with that too reason being is that little piece of medal wasn't coming up to stop the bolt, hold the magazine up, etc. It happened to my chinese once. I just took a cotton swab and cleaned it really good. It was really dirty and gunked up but once I did that everything was working fine and the rifle was cycling great.

I'm an idiot, I am completely missing the hold open latch, spring and pin.
Well you were right that is the part that is giving me trouble. lol

Well I'm going to order one right now, any ideas on how to put them in?

SKSer45
02-04-2012, 5:16 PM
I'm an idiot, I am completely missing the hold open latch, spring and pin.
Well you were right that is the part that is giving me trouble. lol

Well I'm going to order one right now, any ideas on how to put them in?

lol its ok My fellow SKS owner :) got you covered go here for them spring and parts. https://www.buymilsurp.com/sks-original-rifle-parts-sks-parts-all-other-c-6_8_19.html

All part of the learning process. Hey don't feel bad I cracked the hand guard 2nd day i got my very first SKS :) lol it happens. Hope it helps!

steve91104
02-04-2012, 5:25 PM
I measured the hold-open catch on my SKS.

The overall length is 0.671 inches. Of this, 0.251 inches protudes past the bottom of the receiver to hold the bolt open, when the magazine is empty.

Here's the part I measured:

https://www.buymilsurp.com/hold-open-catch-sks-rifles-p-215.html

Note the magazine follower does not actually hold the bolt open; it just pushes the hold-open catch up and down.

HTH

thepunisher
02-04-2012, 5:31 PM
Thanks guys, got the parts ordered. Well I learned a lot about the sks when I was fitting
and putting the other parts together. I guess I just forgot a couple.

It will be a nice shooter when I'm done.