PDA

View Full Version : Dual residency question??

Hank Dodge
02-04-2012, 3:17 PM
OK...I'm a California resident as well as a homeowner in another state. I split my time between the two residences. If I legally buy a firearm in that other state, could I bring it back to CA with me? What about an "off roster" handgun? I know that a person traveling or moving into CA can bring their guns with them, would this not be along the same lines?

I'm interested in a gun not on the roster and am looking at my options. I don't like the idea of registering it here under the "single-shot" modification as it seems like I'd be doing something illegal. The fact that I can legally purchase the gun I want under my other residence address makes me wonder if I could bring it back and forth to CA with me, or if I would have to leave it there? I'm just confused about the interstate registration aspects of it or any other firearms not affected by the roster. Any thoughts?

kemasa
02-04-2012, 3:57 PM
As far as I know, you can bring the firearm into CA and most likely would need to fill out the CA DOJ form and pay the money. It is a somewhat unusual situation since you are not moving here, but you can legally purchase the firearm in another state and you can legally move here and bring your firearms with you (except so-called a-salt weapons).

The law regarding moving here and registering the firearm is a different situation, but it could apply to you or perhaps you would not need to do anything. I believe you have 60 days to fill out the form, so if you go back within that time period, then you would be fine, perhaps.

SSE is not doing something illegal.

Hank Dodge
02-04-2012, 8:17 PM
I guess I'm reluctant to try that SSE due to the fact that it seems like a loophole on shakey ground. Only certain FFL are willing to do it, and it is not something that DOJ recognizes as generally accepable. If I bring in a firearm under the parameter of it being a single shot target pistol and then end up with the unfortunate circumstance of using it defensively in its fully functional configuration, I'd think that I'd be crucified by the courts for having an illegal weapon. Am I wrong? Has anybody listed a SSE imported firearm on their permit to carry? How about actual legal shootings / incedents where one of these SSE pistols has been used?

Obviously, I'm just worried about the repercussions involved. Forgive my misunderstanding here, but it just seems like it's too much of a stretch for a gun that I'd be using primarily as a defensive arm. Am I mistaken?

GettoPhilosopher
02-04-2012, 8:22 PM
I guess I'm reluctant to try that SSE due to the fact that it seems like a loophole on shakey ground. Only certain FFL are willing to do it, and it is not something that DOJ recognizes as generally accepable. If I bring in a firearm under the parameter of it being a single shot target pistol and then end up with the unfortunate circumstance of using it defensively in its fully functional configuration, I'd think that I'd be crucified by the courts for having an illegal weapon. Am I wrong? Has anybody listed a SSE imported firearm on their permit to carry? How about actual legal shootings / incedents where one of these SSE pistols has been used?

Obviously, I'm just worried about the repercussions involved. Forgive my misunderstanding here, but it just seems like it's too much of a stretch for a gun that I'd be using primarily as a defensive arm. Am I mistaken?

The law regulates TRANSFER of handguns not on the Roster, not possession. I've had unrostered handguns via PPT, it's just fine.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

DiscoBayJoe
02-04-2012, 8:29 PM
I don't know the exact timeline, but once you bring a handgun into CA you have a short grace period wherin you are suposed to register it (10 days?).

The Roster is not a problem, but You would not be able to transfer in something banned in CA (such as a named AR-15 lower, NFA items like Supressors or Full Auto, or things that fall into strange CA banned categories such as the Judge Handgun)

s4alex
02-09-2012, 11:23 PM
I thought the DOJ does not recognize dual residency? Meaning, whichever state you live in the most is the state you are considered a resident?

Do you have a DL from both states?

That would suck more during tax time as you would have to do CA and the other states tax return. :)

INDABZ
02-10-2012, 4:57 PM
If you live in several different states....you are considered a resident of that state while you are there...you can have one drivers license and several state IDs...perfectly fine.

You can bring in off roster items that are legally aquired in other states...you can send in a form to the CA to register that item.
Piece of cake....;)

s4alex
02-10-2012, 6:01 PM
So, does that mean, lets say I have a house in both CA and AZ.. CA DL, AZ ID. Dual residency. Would I qualify for a AZ Resident CCW?

Also, that once HR822 is in full effect, does that mean, I would basically be legal to CCW in CA since I have a CCW in AZ which I am a resident of?

INDABZ
02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
So, does that mean, lets say I have a house in both CA and AZ.. CA DL, AZ ID. Dual residency. Would I qualify for a AZ Resident CCW?

Also, that once HR822 is in full effect, does that mean, I would basically be legal to CCW in CA since I have a CCW in AZ which I am a resident of?

Pretty sure in AZ you don't need a permit anymore? But your state has to have equal permit requirements....Texas is shall issue and your permit is valid in any shall issue state.....something like that...for HR822

CA is a may issue state so you wouldn't be covered under HR822....