PDA

View Full Version : Non owner transfer question

scout II
02-04-2012, 8:28 AM
I was wondering if this can be done.Say a guy down in LA area has a handgun I want to buy and I am in San Francisco Bay Area.He says he can not drive to my area but his brother can.Can he have his brother bring the gun from LA to SF area and transfer it to me?He would not be the owner of the gun,just a seller,and I don't remember anything that says the seller has to be the owner of the gun being sold.What do you think?

tenpercentfirearms
02-04-2012, 1:15 PM
Legally no. A PPT is between the buyer and seller.

Practically speaking if your background check comes up clean, no one is going to know the difference. However, it isn't legal, so don't do it.

ap3572001
02-08-2012, 2:17 PM
Legally no. A PPT is between the buyer and seller.

Practically speaking if your background check comes up clean, no one is going to know the difference. However, it isn't legal, so don't do it.

So the seller does o have to be the owner?

The person in posession is the seller, but the owner.

To posess and to own I guess is thought is not the same thing.

if I let You use my rifle to do some hunting and my shotgun to shoot some skeet at Your club, the guns are still mine.

You can use them , have fun with them, but not modify them or sell them, or let others use them.

Makes sense?

I have firearms that are 1500 away from here. I am not in posession , but they are mine. I own them.

Is this making any sense?????

Can someone conrol what i own ? or what i have?

tenpercentfirearms
02-08-2012, 6:36 PM
So the seller does o have to be the owner?

The person in posession is the seller, but the owner.

To posess and to own I guess is thought is not the same thing.

if I let You use my rifle to do some hunting and my shotgun to shoot some skeet at Your club, the guns are still mine.

You can use them , have fun with them, but not modify them or sell them, or let others use them.

Makes sense?

I have firearms that are 1500 away from here. I am not in posession , but they are mine. I own them.

Is this making any sense?????

Can someone conrol what i own ? or what i have?

No it is not. I think your grammar is off a bit.

Like I said, it is not legal for you to transfer a firearm to someone else so they can sell it. All transfers (for the most part) must go through a licensed dealer in CA. So if you give a gun to your buddy to take up to somewhere else so he can PPT it and he claims he is the seller, then you and the buddy committed a crime by illegally transferring a firearm.

Again, unless the buyer gets denied, the DOJ will have no idea that the buddy is not the registered/lawful owner and even then the DOJ might not notice the buddy is still not the registered/lawful owner when they background him to have it returned.

However, it is illegal, so don't do it.