PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon Acog

neomedic
03-26-2007, 8:25 AM
How does Bindon Aiming Concept™ (BAC) work with the ACOG. Is it as good as the EOTECH?

I am currently leaning towards the EOTech 551 and want to get a magnifier when it comes out. But the ACOG has built-in magnification. I just like the unlimited eye relief of the EOTech.

Probably will use the sights out to 100 yards and CQB for SHTF type scenarios. Thanks.

brando
03-26-2007, 8:55 AM
If that's all you need it for, then stick with an EOTech (or Aimpoint). Magnification won't really make much of a difference at that range anyway.

Centurion_D
03-26-2007, 8:59 AM
Ask and you shall receive..I hope I copied and pasted correctly. I got this info from another site. This is the optic of choice for me..worth every penny!!

Too bad this info in my old post about this piece of gear was lost. I’ll do my best to restore it to what it was. To anyone who did not see this post the first time it was on this forum I’ll be going over my experience with the Trijicon ACOG, how it works and why it’s such an awesome optic. The particular ACOG that I will be talking about is the 4x32 red chevron scope. 4x is enough magnification to get high chest shots out to 800 meters, and low enough to prevent tunnel vision. The model number is TA314. The ACOG was developed for the military as a force multiplier allowing troops to identify, range, and engage targets out to 800 meters and still be useful for CQB. The ACOG has internal elevation and windage adjustments and uses a tritium assisted illuminated reticle that does not rely on batteries. It uses the BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept) and was designed to be used with both eyes open. The reticle is calibrated for military/shelf .223 or 5.56x45mm, so if you plan to hand load for your AR this might not be the best choice for you. This scope was designed for combat and is not the best choice for hunting because its range finding reticle was designed to range us not game animals.
http://www.trijicon.com/parts/797A.jpg

Long Range Shooting with ACOG and Range Finding

Long range shooting with the ACOG will explain itself if I explain how they designed the reticle pattern. Looking through the scope the first thing you will notice is the bright red chevron. Under the chevron is a vertical post which the top tip is also illuminated. The next things you will notice are five crosshairs that run perpendicular to the vertical post. The first line has a 4 to the right of it, and then the numbers skip a line to the 6. The line between the labeled 4 and 6 is 5 but they didn’t include the extra numbers to stay away from cluttering things up. The last two lines at the bottom are 7 and 8. Everyone still with me? Good.

The very tip top of the red chevron is your aiming point for anything 100 meters and closer. The illuminated tip the vertical post is your 300 meter aiming point. There is no 200 meter aiming point so be aware of this, your might just have to judge it. The two bottom tips of the red chevron represent 19 inches from tip to tip at 300 meters. Each line represents 19 inches across at that range. This means that the 4 line represents 19 inches at 400 meters. The next line down which is the 5 line is 19 inches wide at 500 meters and so on all the way down to the bottom line which is 19 inches at 800 meters. They do this because 19 inches is the average width of a man’s shoulders. To find the range of your target all you need to do is measure his shoulder width using the lines or the chevron. When you find the one that fits use that aiming point and pull the trigger. If no lines fit the man out in front of you all you need to do is estimate between the line that is too big and the one that is too small. Correcting for windage is somewhat of a problem because of the internal adjustments. You have to use Kentucky windage at longer ranges with high winds.

Close Quarters Combat with the ACOG

Remember how I said this scope could be used for both long range shooting and CQB. This is because the ACOG uses the BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept). If you thought ranging was easy this is even easier, although it takes a little more training to get used to the BAC. This scope was designed to be used with both eyes open and when you do this you take advantage of the BAC. For room to room clearing all you need to do is look at the red chevron with both eyes, and the scope housing will almost disappear leaving you with a view of a bright red chevron. Put the chevron on the target and pull the trigger. Sounds like a red dot sight now doesn’t it? You might notice a little magnification but with training it becomes unnoticeable and second nature. As a good rule of thumb try and shoot anything closer than 300 meters with both eyes open. For targets farther than 300 meters go ahead and use one eye since 300 meters and farther is considered a precision shot for an assault rifle.
http://www.trijicon.com/parts/797A.jpg

The illuminated reticle is very effective at night time, but during day time it gets almost too bright. A piece of green duct tape over the orange fiber optic will dull the chevron out and you’re golden. When you need more illumination just rip off the tape. That’s my low down on this great piece of gear. Anyone who has any questions post or PM.

Thanks ya’ll

brando
03-26-2007, 9:11 AM
That's exactly why an ACOG is great for a fixed defensive posture (like doing tower duty) where your targets are going to be anywhere from 100-500m AND target ID is important. Other than that, an EOTech or Aimpoint would be a better choice.

randy
03-26-2007, 11:59 PM
On the ACOG some people put a lens cap over the objective to shoot CQB. Keep both eyes open you don't have the problem with magnifaction.

However in certin conditions it can throw your shots off by more than a few inches at pretty short distances.

To get the most out of your ACOG you need to mill the flattop receiver and drill it so you can mount the ACOG directly to the rail and not use an adapter. The closer to the barrel the better for CQB/hosing.

If the ACOG reticle is set up for 55 grain and you shoot heavier or lighter bullets the BDC won't be exact. You'll have to check but if the ACOG is set up to run in a carry handle and you don't mount it that way the BDC won't be correct either. How much diffenence it makes I don't know and it might not matter at all if your targets are big enough.

The ACOG is slower in CQB to 50 yards than a Red Dot or Accupoint.

The ACOG scopes are strong, don't weigh too much and work great. They do cost alot.

I don't believe the TA01 ACOG uses the BAC.

The Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 to 4 woks better for me and costs a few hundred less. Still has the BAC, has a built in cover for the fiber optic, you can focus it, and has semi target knobs when you remove the covers. The down side is it doesn't have a BDC.

Once dialed in you can change your zero for your shots then turn it back.

If you've done your rangework you can shoot 55 grain out to 200 yds. then load 77 grain for longer shots or windy conditions.

It doesn't make a diffenence which scope you use you are going to have to do your range work to figure out your come ups and remember them or write them down. Here is where a range book is invaluble.

Good luck

YMMV

JesseXXX
04-02-2007, 7:26 PM
I have an ACOG and love it...The glass is SUPER clear and bright... but for super close and "personal" combat... I "feel" an Aimpoint, EOTech...or that new Leupold red-dot would probably be better....just an opinion... :)