PDA

View Full Version : MAIG buying Gun Control Ad Superbowl

safewaysecurity
02-03-2012, 9:18 PM
Looks like Mayor Michael Bloomberg is using his enormous wealth to spread his hate for our freedoms. He's buying up AD time in the North-East of the country to spread his crap. Here is the ad with him and the Mayor of Boston. Make sure you "THUMBS DOWN" the video. These guys actually have the audacity to say they support the Second Amendment.

BO94AdhCg0k

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/02/01/menino-bloomberg-team-up-in-gun-control-ad-for-super-bowl/

chris10
02-03-2012, 9:33 PM
Holy crap, I puked a little at the end.

dieselpower
02-03-2012, 9:50 PM
tyrants waiting to pounce

Connor P Price
02-03-2012, 10:10 PM
They are flailing. The anti gun position is losing ground rapidly. I always find it so funny how anti gun groups have to pretend not to be anti gun in order to get support.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

thayne
02-03-2012, 10:31 PM
The only "common sense" gun law I know of is the second amendment to the US constitution.

smith629
02-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Who is the fat guy on the left bulging out of his jersey that looks stoned? Jeas, get a life and stop eating so many pork rinds. This is a guy who wants to tell me how to live and what freedoms I should have?

Disliked.

Blackhawk556
02-03-2012, 11:25 PM
I won't even bother looking at their video. less views for them.

Sent from Los Alamos Nuclear Facility

vincewarde
02-03-2012, 11:41 PM
They are flailing. The anti gun position is losing ground rapidly. I always find it so funny how anti gun groups have to pretend not to be anti gun in order to get support.

I have been well aware of the debate since about 1967. They always talk about things being reasonable. Back then, most people thought a total ban on handguns was "reasonable" - now 3 out of 4 people are opposed. Back then, most states didn't allow concealed carry - and the ones that did were very much "may issue". Now 49 states have CCW and 41 are shall issue. Back then, every legal scholar said we didn't have a leg to stand on when we said that the 2nd Amendment protected a personal right to own guns. Now we have two Supreme Court rulings confirming that we are right.

So, now they have to redefine what is reasonable within an ever shrinking set of possibilities.

Not to mention the almost total evaporation of support. In the 1980s, the Giffords shooting would have sparked a new round of gun control laws. In the 2010s they couldn't even begin to get anything moving. Not to mention the fact that when Brady held a news conference the only two news organizations showed up and the only one that brought a camera was NRA News!

We need to continue to work hard for the cause, but there is no question who is winning.

Maestro Pistolero
02-03-2012, 11:43 PM
My reply at several sites that are reporting the story:
The MAIG, Mayors Against Illegal Guns would be more aptly named Mayors Against Firearms In America. This sham organization pretends to be only against illegal guns, but they really are about the suppression of a fundamental, enumerated, and incorporated civil right. In New York state there is a ban on the mere possession of a handgun for any out of state resident. That's right, a ban. The rash of recent arrests aren't new, they are just being reported more lately.

No matter how law-abiding or compliant, one may not even possess a locked, unloaded, registered handgun in NY state without a state permit, and it is not issued to out-of-state residents. That's a ban for 98% of Americans. And mere possession is a felony.

The US Supreme court has recently struck two bans, in DC and in Chicago. Second Amendment jurisprudence is in it's relative infancy, so it will take awhile, but in a few years, any non-prohibited person will be able to carry (bear) arms for self defense in all but the most sensitive places, such as courthouses and the secure areas of airports.

This is how it's done in most of the country, and licensed concealed permit holders have proven overwhelmingly that they may be trusted with the right. They are a group so law-abiding, that firearms misuse among them is statistically incalculable.

Time to get with the program, NY, NJ, IL. Wake up, the Second Amendment is alive and well in most of the rest of the country, It works perfectly well as designed, if you let it.

freonr22
02-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Is this a surprise? They are not withering away. How much is the Super Bowl ad? I bet it is a tax deduction. We are winning, it will be quite awhile

pTa
02-04-2012, 12:09 AM
/I'm very proud at the pro2a comments to those POS's commercial/

Bloomberg outa be ashamed of himself/

http://www.firearmstruth.com/2012/bloombergs-slander-of-gun-law-victim-despicable-saf#more-9852

SanPedroShooter
02-04-2012, 6:01 AM
http://www.armsandthelaw.com/GAIM/

nicki
02-04-2012, 6:55 AM
Now that they have made a video that 100 million Americans will see with them saying they support the second amendment, they just opened up the doors for this video to be used in all future gun law suits in the federal courts.

Imagine either of these POSes being called as a witness and being forced to testify under oath the extent of their support for the second amendment.

Imagine if people donated money to the MAIG based on the group saying they support the second amendment and then finding out the group has defrauded them.

Class action lawuit maybe?:eek:

If they are collecting donations with this add, does that spell consumer fraud?

Nicki

lgm118icbm
02-04-2012, 7:08 AM
I think this will do more good for us than harm. To the lay man, this is a pro gun commercial during the superbowl. Most people will never know what MAIG is nor will ever look at that website.

Wrangler John
02-04-2012, 7:16 AM
Ah yes, just another reason I won't be watching the Super Bowl. I will be at the range Sunday testing loads and breaking in a new barrel. One feature of aging is that my inability to suffer through hundreds of commercials has ruined the TV experience for me. When the commercials become as big an attraction as the game itself, it's time to set aside old habits. Besides, I find the continual chatter of sportscasters talking about everything but the game terminally annoying. That's why the senior citizen demographic is anathema to the Madison Avenue crowd, we're resistant to advertising. You folks in the 18 - 49 age group, enjoy.

Let me know how it comes out. On second thought, I really don't care.

Mulay El Raisuli
02-04-2012, 7:36 AM
Ah yes, just another reason I won't be watching the Super Bowl. I will be at the range Sunday testing loads and breaking in a new barrel. One feature of aging is that my inability to suffer through hundreds of commercials has ruined the TV experience for me. When the commercials become as big an attraction as the game itself, it's time to set aside old habits. Besides, I find the continual chatter of sportscasters talking about everything but the game terminally annoying. That's why the senior citizen demographic is anathema to the Madison Avenue crowd, we're resistant to advertising. You folks in the 18 - 49 age group, enjoy.

But, the ads are the only thing worth watching!

The Raisuli

yellowfin
02-04-2012, 7:44 AM
The Super Bowl is as irrelevant as they are if not more so. If you have to make the commercials and/or halftime show to be something equal to or greater than the game itself, it shows that the game means nothing. Ditto fantasy football.

HowardW56
02-04-2012, 8:03 AM

:iagree:

Jack L
02-04-2012, 8:12 AM

I'm with you. At my age the sound of my AR is more pleasing than the roar of the crowd and commercials.

m03
02-04-2012, 8:16 AM
I think this will do more good for us than harm. To the lay man, this is a pro gun commercial during the superbowl. Most people will never know what MAIG is nor will ever look at that website.

This.

morrcarr67
02-04-2012, 8:30 AM

:iagree:

Mesa Tactical
02-04-2012, 8:35 AM
The Superbowl is tomorrow? Awesome. Guess I'm heading to the range.

NoJoke
02-04-2012, 12:59 PM
75 Like
300 (+) Dislike
...so far.

Hmmmm....:cool:

Changalang
02-04-2012, 1:05 PM
i flagged the video for promoting terrorism. :nuts:

IVC
02-04-2012, 1:21 PM
Don't understand the negative comments here. Bloomberg actually says "we support 2A" *before* anything else. If I didn't know what MAIG was, I would consider this to be a pro-2A commercial.

After all, don't we all want "reasonable regulation" such as: always treat a gun as if loaded, don't point at anything you don't intend to shoot, keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, know your target and what's behind it. Not to mention that we all want "reasonable regulation" such as: don't Mexican carry a loaded Glock into a NY bar and shoot yourself in a foot if you want to play football...

fireluvrandrew@gmail.com
02-04-2012, 1:34 PM
another thumbs down to that video courtesy of me :)

We should all report the video as inappropriate

yellowfin
02-04-2012, 2:09 PM
Don't understand the negative comments here. Bloomberg actually says "we support 2A" *before* anything else. If I didn't know what MAIG was, I would consider this to be a pro-2A commercial.And that's the real beef with it: it allows people to assume that what Bloomberg would say elsewhere is from that perspective. They've been playing that game for decades, trying to look like the good guys--and it works on just enough people for their votes to continue the status quo in NY and MA. It's a REALLY bad problem.

safewaysecurity
02-04-2012, 2:27 PM
Don't understand the negative comments here. Bloomberg actually says "we support 2A" *before* anything else. If I didn't know what MAIG was, I would consider this to be a pro-2A commercial.

After all, don't we all want "reasonable regulation" such as: always treat a gun as if loaded, don't point at anything you don't intend to shoot, keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, know your target and what's behind it. Not to mention that we all want "reasonable regulation" such as: don't Mexican carry a loaded Glock into a NY bar and shoot yourself in a foot if you want to play football...

If you don't understand it just shows your ignorance of the issue, and I don't say that in a mean and condescending way. With this commercial they are targeting people precisely like you. They KNOW that the majority of Americans support the Second Amendment so they have to frame their anti-gun views in a way that convinces the viewer that you can support their anti-gun and anti-freedom policies and still support the Second Amendment. They are very strategic because they have to be. But look at the gun laws in NYC and Boston and tell me if those are laws you want here in California because the truth is they want those laws to be MUCH MUCH tougher and more burdensome. Their organization is called Mayors Against Illegal Guns. It's named that because polls show most people are against "illegal guns" but that's just a name and not really what their organization is about. For example HR 822 which is the federal bill to let CCW permit holders carry their firearms into any state they go into that has CCWs for civilians but MAIG came out against it when it had nothing to do with illegal guns and everything to do with law abiding citizens. Also the things you mentioned like treating every gun like it's loaded ect are not LAWS they are principles of gun safety. These organizations do not promote gun safety and training they just support laws that are unconstitutional and make it as hard as possible to own and carry firearms.

Coded-Dude
02-04-2012, 2:41 PM
if you could make a proper pro 2A 30 second commercial for the super bowl.....what would it say?

safewaysecurity
02-04-2012, 2:44 PM
if you could make a proper pro 2A 30 second commercial for the super bowl.....what would it say?

Take all the video footage of people defending themselves with guns fast forward them and compile it into 28 seconds and then say "would you have denied them their right to bear arms?" just a thought.

yellowfin
02-04-2012, 2:53 PM
if you could make a proper pro 2A 30 second commercial for the super bowl.....what would it say?It'd be something done by Oleg Volk.

IVC
02-04-2012, 2:55 PM
...so they have to frame their anti-gun views in a way that convinces the viewer that you can support their anti-gun and anti-freedom policies and still support the Second Amendment.

Maybe, but you are giving too much credit both to MAIG and the general population. Neither is likely to be as clever and subtle for this approach to work. Implying they are deploying "reverse psychology" in the nation where negative political adds with no substance and outright lying are the norm of the day might be a stretch.

I would be more inclined to say that MAIG is running out of options and momentum, so they are just trying to stay relevant with more publicity stunts. Publicity stunts tend to backfire, and this one looks that way since it is not nearly explicit enough for the message they are trying to convey.

IVC
02-04-2012, 3:04 PM
Also the things you mentioned like treating every gun like it's loaded ect are not LAWS they are principles of gun safety.

Common sense makes good law, as the saying goes. If you just codify what you call the "safety principles" you get good, common sense gun laws. Makes for much better PR when talking to people who are neutral.

BTW, it was a sarcastic remark about how we all agree about having common sense gun laws, just not on where the line is, i.e., good laws are about safety, bad laws are about control.

jb7706
02-04-2012, 4:24 PM
Dislikes are WAY ahead. Wonder how long it will be before they disable comments.

mag360
02-04-2012, 4:56 PM
I would love if colt, glock, fn,

BigDogatPlay
02-04-2012, 4:56 PM

They support their own interpretation of Amendment Two... which is that it is a collective right of the state and not an individual right of the people. Even though that line of thought was rejected and put to bed by Heller and McDonald, it is still what they believe.

Spend some time on their website, (http://mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/home/home.shtml) and you should see that they are not interested in Amendment Two at all. They are interested in keeping firearms out of the hands of law abiding citizens and they couch that by saying that they want to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals.

For example, in one particularly twisted bit of logic the coalition urged Congress to repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts release of BATFE firearm trace data to law enforcement purposes and officers only, to enable the Congress to better investigate Fast & Furious. The problem with that logic is that Congressional investigators already have access to that data as part of Congress's oversight mandate. And repealing Tiahrt would not do anything to stop BATFE's (and USDoJ's) ongoing stonewalling of the affair.

Mayor Bloomberg has been trying for years to get Tiahrt repealed because it keeps his private investigators from sticking their noses into BATFE gun trace data to try and further persecute and harrass law abiding gun dealers out of business.

Mayor Bloomberg is not a friend of Amendment Two, and it is horribly disingenuous and hypocritical of him to suggest on camera that he is. That his coalition is saying they are pro Amendment Two, when they aren't, is a transparent bit of marketing spin that is employed often by advocacy groups looking to gain advantage. Do a web search on "Americans for Gun Safety" or "The American Hunters and Shooters Association" for another example.

Anyone who thinks otherwise of Mayor Bloomberg's motives should deeply reexamine their thinking on the subject.

mag360
02-04-2012, 4:58 PM
I would love if colt, glock, fn, springfield, remington, ruger, etc all sponsored an ad. Why won't they?

HBrebel
02-04-2012, 5:09 PM
My new club will be called gun owners against sociopathic politicians.

CHS
02-04-2012, 5:46 PM
I always find it so funny how anti gun groups have to pretend not to be anti gun in order to get support.

This right here.

It's very telling of their predicament.

G60
02-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Be sure to click thumbs down on the video.

More effective and less time consuming than writing out a comment.

Paul S
02-05-2012, 12:59 AM

You don't think any network would actually agree to air such a commercial do you?

safewaysecurity
02-05-2012, 1:13 AM
You don't think any network would actually agree to air such a commercial do you?

pn8Pf6kWFDc

17+1
02-05-2012, 7:30 AM
Another reason to not watch the superbowl, or any TV for that matter.

It just ends up pissing me off.

Got rid of my TV years ago and haven't been happier.:)

NoJoke
02-05-2012, 8:13 AM
pn8Pf6kWFDc

LOVE IT! :D

RRangel
02-05-2012, 8:39 AM
Does Bloomberg actually believe this stunt will go over well today in the age of an incorporated Second Amendment? Or rather, does he think he can buy everything? Will its tired message survive in this information age? This is not the 80s anymore; where the public is non-informed, and blindsided by a complicit one sided media.

Today every conceivable gun restriction has been tried, with no real benefit, other than as an excuse to control, and to further an un-American agenda. To pretend otherwise is untrue. Michael Bloomberg and the statists mayors represent more of the same.

FF/EMT Nick
02-05-2012, 9:05 AM
well, they finally disabled the like/dislike function as well as the comments....surprised?

sdfire
02-05-2012, 10:13 AM
I see this crap and it makes me think
"stupid mayors are like *****-holes, everybody has one"

Lugiahua
02-05-2012, 10:46 AM
"Against Illegal guns"? Biggest joke I heard in a week.
You outlawed all the guns, then they all are illegal I see.

G60
02-05-2012, 11:10 AM
This ad is only being aired in DC. Guess what that means...Bloomberg's target audience for this commercial is other politicians, not voters (little people.)

http://www.pagunblog.com/2012/02/05/bloombergs-super-bowl-commercial/

1911ZENSHOOTER
02-05-2012, 11:31 AM

Same here

mag360
02-05-2012, 11:48 AM
can someone else upload it so we can comment freely?

Window_Seat
02-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Bloomberg: ‘You’d Think That If A Congresswoman Got Shot In The Head,’ That Would Change Congress’ Views On Guns (http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/02/05/419083/mayor-bloomberg-youd-think-that-if-a-congresswoman-got-shot-in-the-head-that-would-change-congress-views-on-guns/?mobile=nc).

I really want to say serious derogatory statements about this jerk, but I'm keeping myself subdued. He is working to destroy the lives of upstanding members of this Nation's traditions and is violating ordered liberty in the most disrespectful way.

Erik.

NoJoke
02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
well, they finally disabled the like/dislike function as well as the comments....surprised?

For the record, last time I checked it was at approximately 875 dislikes and 84 likes.

Honeydos
02-05-2012, 2:15 PM

That's ok, I just flagged it for fraud/scam instead! :D Everybody should flag it, won't do any good, but it might be fun!

Tier One Arms
02-05-2012, 2:31 PM
Can't comment or leave feedback, looks like they are against the 1stA too.

IVC
02-05-2012, 4:20 PM
They support their own interpretation of Amendment Two... which is that it is a collective right of the state and not an individual right of the people. ...

No question they are an anti organization. There is no doubt they are trying to make an anti point. All I am saying is that it looks like they did not (cannot) go back to the outright message, but have to sugar-coat it. In doing so, the message is lost when addressing masses. Compare this to the hate-filled direct message from Bradies (assault clips, concealed carry murderers, pack heat on your street, children, puppies, etc.).

As a test, take the above clip (pun intended) and show it to several antis or neutrals without telling them anything about it. See how many of them get a message "guns are bad" vs. "2A is alive and well". My guess is that Bloomberg failed with this particular ad.

Werewolf1021
02-05-2012, 4:34 PM
Can't comment or leave feedback, looks like they are against the 1stA too.

Technically, it is their right to do so with the terms of agreement and such on youtube.

However, it does show that they do not want any discourse on the subject and the negative reaction shows the ad was a waste of money.

They would rather you shut up and act like good sheeple. ;)

KarLorian
02-05-2012, 4:35 PM
FYI Meet The Press had Bloomberg on today and played the full commercial for him.

RRangel
02-05-2012, 7:07 PM
FYI Meet The Press had Bloomberg on today and played the full commercial for him.

They don't call them Meet the Depressed for no reason.

lgm118icbm
02-05-2012, 7:10 PM
I watched the game but I didn't see the commercial yet? Did I miss it?

Mssr. Eleganté
02-05-2012, 7:18 PM
I watched the game but I didn't see the commercial yet? Did I miss it?

It only aired in Washington D.C.

vincewarde
02-05-2012, 8:42 PM

Actually, I think they would be glad to take the money and air the ad. They really can't afford to turn down business, or to discriminate in such a blatant way. (That would result in us getting lots of free PR at their expense.) Just check out all of the shooting shows on TV - there have been several now. The networks know which side their bread is buttered on and who is winning the battle for public opinion.

steelrain82
02-06-2012, 12:16 AM

It would be a montage of service members and police. It would say something like "they use weapons to protect and defend themselves." and than another slew of pics of politicians and other scum which then says "and so do they". But when it comes to you! This is what they want". Then a picture of people being held hostage or getting robbed even a dead person at the end. Then the final picture would be the bill of rights for all to see and than it would say " these are rights not privileges". Then it would say something about education and places to get training.