PDA

View Full Version : Type 99 Arisaka Repair Question

smokinstang65
02-03-2012, 7:30 PM
SO, I previously posted about having purchased an awesome numbers matching Type 99. The only downside was the ground off mum and the monopod on it is not straight and one of the legs is broke where it attaches to the mount. My question is, do I leave it busted like it is? Or do I straighten the monopod back out and tack the leg back onto the mount so its fully functional again?

Also, does anyone have a line on a follower and follower spring for a Type 99? I've got my grandad's bringback and its missing those two pieces. I'm also looking for a go no-go gauge for 7.7mm Jap.

TRAP55
02-03-2012, 7:56 PM
Fix it!:)
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1560&idcategory=83

Vlad 11
02-03-2012, 8:21 PM
If your bolt is matching to the receiver i wouldn't think there would be a headspace issue as the bolts were fitted to each rifle.
Arisaka's have ample tolerances anyway. If your worried tie it down and shoot it cannon style with a long string then inspect the brass.

As for the monopod , that's a tough call. One thing to consider is if the staked screw has even ever been turned on the retaining band. Lets see a picture of it.

EDIT: I remember yours now and see the picture ... if it were me I would leave it be. Especially with the sling you would have to remove. That one has lasted so long intact and is a nice salty piece. A testament to the incredible battles it survived.

smokinstang65
02-03-2012, 9:05 PM
If your bolt is matching to the receiver i wouldn't think there would be a headspace issue as the bolts were fitted to each rifle.
Arisaka's have ample tolerances anyway. If your worried tie it down and shoot it cannon style with a long string then inspect the brass.

As for the monopod , that's a tough call. One thing to consider is if the staked screw has even ever been turned on the retaining band. Lets see a picture of it.

EDIT: I remember yours now and see the picture ... if it were me I would leave it be. Especially with the sling you would have to remove. That one has lasted so long intact and is a nice salty piece. A testament to the incredible battles it survived.

The numbers matching rifle I'm not worried about teh headspace on. The bringback though I bought another complete bolt from Calguns so its not original to the rifle, hence my head space worries.

Sampachi
02-06-2012, 9:48 AM
I've never seen headspace gauges for the Arisaka and agree that if the bolt matches, it should be fine.
As to repairing the monopod... it really depends on what you plan to do with this rifle. If it's going on the wall, leave it as is. If you plan to shoot it, I'd suggest carefully removing it and the sling. One option would be to buy a replica monopod and install that. The sling will be more difficult to take care of.

saki302
02-06-2012, 3:43 PM
I fixed the monopod on mine- it looked like some kids bent it after the war so the rifle would stay up with the monopod in the shut position :nuts:

I used photos as a guide and did my best to match the original shape. The wire on mine wasn't too hard to bend by hand, just go slowly.

Mine also looked like a grenade went off next to it- the stock crumbled into 3 pieces when disassembled (old injury- the cracked sections were black inside). I used epoxy and brass pins to reassemble it. It's now one of my more interesting Arisakas, mummed, matching, and with battle damage :)

-Dave