PDA

View Full Version : constructive possession..AR..

stitchnicklas
02-03-2012, 7:23 PM
thinking of building another lower but without a bullet button.
i have a 5.56,450 bushmaster,both with BB's installed and i have a chiappa .22lr upper i change out with the bushy.the non-BB lower would be mated with the .22lr upper of course.

now if i have 3 uppers and 3 lowers and all are mated is there a constructive legal problem??

aklover_91
02-03-2012, 7:27 PM
No constructive possession for AW's.

It either is an AW or it isn't.

IGOTDIRT4U
02-03-2012, 7:31 PM

By definition you are right but the OP has a point.

OP, i have had the same concerns.

My take. An unattached lower is not a "gun" therefore until an upper is attached, it would be inconclusive what the .gov found.

Someone correct me?

stitchnicklas
02-03-2012, 7:35 PM
both my BB lowers have the gold standard button(solid and takes the red tool for install)

Connor P Price
02-03-2012, 7:38 PM

Yup, don't mix and match your way to an AW. It is probably wise not to go driving around with only your non bb'd lower and upper which would require a bb without the others. Some things, even when legal, are asking for closer scrutiny.

ETA: Not that any additional scrutiny would actually go anywhere, just that it's a headache one probably doesn't need.

My take. An unattached lower is not a "gun" therefore until an upper is attached, it would be inconclusive what the .gov found.

Someone correct me?

I don't understand, what is inconclusive? What is the government finding?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

CSACANNONEER
02-03-2012, 7:40 PM
Who cares if you have 2 lowers and one upper or twenty uppers? As long as your uppers are all rifle uppers or you have a lower which can be used to construct a pistol, the fact a lower does or does not have a magazine lock doesn't matter unless you have actually constructed an illegal weapon.

aklover_91
02-03-2012, 7:41 PM

Someone correct me?

Legally, it's still a gun.

But it's not chambered for anything, let alone centerfire ammunition, without an upper.

axel4488
02-03-2012, 7:49 PM
EDIT: Misread that it is a rimfire.

Connor P Price
02-03-2012, 7:52 PM
To be safe put a featureless grip on it. That way its legal without a BB

Why is that safer? It's a .22lr, so its already legal without a bullet button. There is no such thing as "more legal." Why use a less ergonomic grip?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

CSACANNONEER
02-03-2012, 8:02 PM
To be safe put a featureless grip on it. That way its legal without a BB

?????? I thought we were over this type of paranoia years ago. The law is very clear about rimfire rifles being exempt from CA AW laws. So, why would running a featureless .22lr be any "safer"?

axel4488
02-03-2012, 8:33 PM
Ahh sorry I misread that it was a Rimfire weapon. I thought it said IT WAS NOT one.

My mistake