PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Parts FUD or Not?

zukieast
02-03-2012, 5:39 PM
So, I purchased a M82A1 Barrett CA Compliant in 416 and wanted to add a mono-pod to the rear end.

Found a unit on Gunbroker, purchased it, and got an email from the vendor (in Texas and not Cheaper Than Dirt) that this item is not allowed in CA and that they could not sell it to me.

I asked them for some kind of reference to the law/letter etc. that stated such an absurdity, still have not gotten it.

So, is this true or not?

Why would a monopod on a rifle be illegal?

Who on CalGuns, should I submit this company information to so that they can get an education on CA laws.

Thanks

Ubermcoupe
02-03-2012, 5:44 PM
Have it shipped to someone out of state first. Will cost an extra $5 but looks like it will fit in a flat rate box.

Librarian
02-03-2012, 8:33 PM
So, I purchased a M82A1 Barrett CA Compliant in 416 and wanted to add a mono-pod to the rear end.

Found a unit on Gunbroker, purchased it, and got an email from the vendor (in Texas and not Cheaper Than Dirt) that this item is not allowed in CA and that they could not sell it to me.

I asked them for some kind of reference to the law/letter etc. that stated such an absurdity, still have not gotten it.

So, is this true or not?

Who on CalGuns, should I submit this company information to so that they can get an education on CA laws.

Thanks

Not true.

Nothing in PC refers to monopods directly; some possibility as a forward hand grip as an 'assault weapon' feature, but your usage is not forward, and there's no 'constructive possession' of such a thing.

CSACANNONEER
02-03-2012, 8:46 PM
Sounds like they could use a polite lesson on Ca laws IF THEY WANT IT. Otherwise, sounds like you might need a lesson in bussiness and good ol' American FREEDOM. Isn't it great that they are able to refuse service to anyone? I love America!!! BTW, you are always free to buy from a different vendor.

zukieast
02-04-2012, 8:44 AM
Well in their defense they did not list this item as "No CA Sales", and they dont have that in any of their listings.

They also sent me an email stating that they could not believe this but their shipping department stated the item was prohibited in CA. And asked if I had another address to ship to. I asked for a reference to what penal code or letter they were referring to to come to this conclusion. Still waiting on that.

I would have bought from another vendor, but they were the only ones listing this item, and had a much better price than Barrett direct/Midway/Brownells etc..

Mesa Tactical
02-04-2012, 8:54 AM
They also sent me an email stating that they could not believe this but their shipping department stated the item was prohibited in CA. And asked if I had another address to ship to. I asked for a reference to what penal code or letter they were referring to to come to this conclusion. Still waiting on that.

I would have bought from another vendor, but they were the only ones listing this item, and had a much better price than Barrett direct/Midway/Brownells etc..

Well, of course they are cheaper. They have their warehouse guy do all their legal work.

CSACANNONEER
02-04-2012, 9:38 AM
Well, of course they are cheaper. They have their warehouse guy do all their legal work.

LMAO!

zukieast
02-04-2012, 9:45 AM
The world is suddenly in focus...

:eek:

OleCuss
02-04-2012, 9:45 AM
It's probably a drop shipment arrangement.

vincewarde
02-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Cheaper Than Dirt is more CA friendly than some other dealers, but they still do not really understand our laws and/or their lawyers have told them not to ship anything to CA that could be used to build an AW (i.e. grips, folding stocks, etc) out of fear of a conspiracy charge. One would think that CA business would be worth doing the research.

I own a home in another state and keep some items there for legal reasons. I asked if Midway could ship 10+ mags to that address and eventually got a no. The person said they used to be able to do that, but not any more. To be clear, the items would have never entered CA - and are completely legal in the state where my other home is located. Even so, Midway would not do the transaction if they knew I lived in CA. Go figure.

bwiese
02-04-2012, 12:14 PM

BWAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

And when a mfgr or FFL needs detailed CA-specific legal work, of course they call a lawyer in FL that "shoots a little"...

OleCuss
02-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't know the company at all so I could be way off. . .

But there are some companies out there that almost don't exist. They do the advertising, they take your money, and the order and a percentage of your money goes to an entirely different company which then ships the product to you.

In this case the "shipper" is an entirely different company over whom the company with which you deal has very little control.

My favorite source for firearms parts and accessories functioned in this manner. The prices were very low (usually unbeatable) and the guy who ran it (local gun shop guy) never saw or handled the product that he sold to me. (The site is now not functioning so I'll have to ask what happened next time I'm in the shop.)

If they are using a drop shipper in this manner, then the "shipping department" is a whole other company which they are not not likely to ever be able to properly educate.

BobB35
02-04-2012, 12:49 PM

So, is this true or not?

Thanks

Who cares, so they won't ship to CA. Do you really blame them with how F'ed up the laws are in this state? Buy somewhere else.....they won't care and you shouldn't either.

Kauf
02-04-2012, 3:34 PM
Please post pics and a video once you get it and take it shooting!!!

zfields
02-04-2012, 4:12 PM
have it shipped my way, Ill send it out to ya.

Toss me a PM if you need.