View Full Version : Cap and ball revolvers

02-03-2012, 4:14 PM
What are the laws for cap and ball black powder revolvers comparitively to normal handguns?

02-03-2012, 4:21 PM
Which laws?

02-03-2012, 4:22 PM
Registration, storage, ammo storage.

02-03-2012, 4:28 PM
I shoot a 1851 navy replica. I don't think there's much difference in laws.. some ranges (mostly indoor) don't allow black powder at the range for safety reasons.. if that's what you're getting at.

02-03-2012, 4:31 PM
No registration.
Which handgun storage laws? Which ammo storage laws?
I'm not familiar with them.

02-03-2012, 4:36 PM
I was just wondering if there were any laws for storage. But thank you for the answer.

02-03-2012, 6:01 PM
The only gun storage law that I know is if you keep any loaded firearm within any premise which is under your custody or control and know or reasonably should know that a child (person under 18 years of age) is likely to gain access to the firearm, you may be guilty of a felony if a child gains access to that firearm and thereby causes death or injury to any person unless the firearm was in a secure locked container or locked with a locking device that rendered it inoperable.

02-03-2012, 6:36 PM
They're not firearms in terms of buying them. They can ship right to your home.

In terms of transporting/carrying them. Keep them locked up like any handgun.

There are quite low limits for actual black powder allowed in the home and it's very difficult to find in CA in any case. Substitutes are treated like smokeless powder - easy to buy and I think it's a 20 pound limit. Most people shoot cap and ball with 777 or Pyrodex.

02-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Per CA law [H&SC 12102], the max limit on...
Smokeless powder is 20 lbs.
Blackpowder is 1 lb.

Storage also needs to conform with local (city/county) storage rules for explosives.

Any amount more than that requires a permit from the state. [H&SC 12101 & 12101.5]

It's a misdemeanor for having more than the max amount and a misdemeanor for incorrect storage.

Health & Safety Code 12102
This chapter does not apply to any possession or use of 20 pounds or less of smokeless powder, or one pound or less of black sporting powder, provided that:
(a) Smokeless powder is intended only for hand loading of small arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.
(b) Black sporting powder is intended for loading of small arms or small arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.
(c) All such powder is for private use and not for resale, and, in the case of black sporting powder, there shall be no gift, delivery, or other disposition to another person.
(d) The storage, use and handling of such smokeless and black powder conforms to rules, regulations, or ordinances of authorities having jurisdiction for fire prevention and suppression in the area of such storage, use, and handling of such explosives.

02-03-2012, 10:14 PM
I've always treated mine like I would any other handgun in terms of transport in a locked container, I assume it would be treated the same as far as GFSZ's go. Anyone know any different?

Mssr. Eleganté
02-03-2012, 11:43 PM
I've always treated mine like I would any other handgun in terms of transport in a locked container, I assume it would be treated the same as far as GFSZ's go. Anyone know any different?

You are correct. They are considered firearms and handguns under most of California's penal code, so treat them like you would a modern firearm. They are exempt from the Federal GFSZ law, but not from the California GFSZ law.

The parts of the California penal code for which they are not considered firearms only deal with buying, selling and such.

02-04-2012, 7:45 AM
FWIW I use pyrodex pellets in my C and B and find it much easier than loose powder.

02-04-2012, 6:36 PM
really?! 1 pound limit on blackpowder?!

Shotgun Willie
02-05-2012, 2:50 PM

That is so you can't load and fire the 16 inch guns on your battleship.

02-05-2012, 3:22 PM

Oops... :facepalm:

02-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Since a cap & ball revolver needs a locked case, I'm curious...what are the legal requirements for transporting a muzzle loading rifle in your vehicle?
I now have a truck, so there's no trunk to carry it in, anymore.
Do I need to find a locked case for a 56" long muzzleloader?

Mssr. Eleganté
02-06-2012, 12:19 PM
California law does not require that you lock up long guns while driving. Federal law requires that long guns be locked up while in a Gun Free School Zone, but muzzle loaders are exempt from this because the Feds don't consider them to be firearms. You just need to make sure the rifle is "unloaded."

02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks! I used to transport it to the range in a traditional scabbard, so it looks like I'm good to go.

Thanks again! :)