PDA

View Full Version : backup handgun for turkey hunting

moulton
03-25-2007, 9:51 PM
Is it legal for me to have a backup handgun for predators while turkey hunting? or can I only have a shotgun in my posesstion while hunting?

damon1272
03-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Why would you waste time putting down your shotgun to draw a pistol. I would figure you had #4 shot on a full choke. Not enough gun? Any ways can run into problems with game wardens considering it concealed if it were covered by a jacket. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

CSACANNONEER
03-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Just plain illegal. Read DFG regs.

Kestryll
03-25-2007, 10:20 PM
I saw the title and thought 'What kind of aggresive mutant freak turkey is he after!!?'
Part turkey, part boar, all vicious beaks and claws!!!

adamsreeftank
03-26-2007, 12:33 AM
If I was walking around with a loaded shotgun, I think I would feel prety safe.

CalNRA
03-26-2007, 12:35 AM
If I was walking around with a loaded shotgun, I think I would feel prety safe.

ah yes, with all three rounds in the gun. I guess shot placement reigns supreme here.

moulton
03-26-2007, 5:15 AM
ok, what about having it holstered around camp on BLM land?

Thnx,
Moulton

radioactivelego
03-26-2007, 5:16 AM
RPG. You can never be safe when dealing with turkeys...

VeryCoolCat
03-26-2007, 5:24 AM
I think hes hunting the mutant turkeys from that episode of south park. :D

Just keep a shot of 00 buck with you.

jaymz
03-26-2007, 6:30 AM
Just plain illegal. Read DFG regs.

I just did. I can't find where it's illegal to carry a sidearm. Would you be so kind as to provide a link? I always carry a sidearm while hunting. I've also had encounters with DFG while hunting, and never has my "backup" been a problem.

moulton
03-26-2007, 6:35 AM
I just did. I can't find where it's illegal to carry a sidearm. Would you be so kind as to provide a link? I always carry a sidearm while hunting. I've also had encounters with DFG while hunting, and never has my "backup" been a problem.

im kinda concerned about the two legged predators protecting their pot farm, not mutant turkeys :o

jaymz
03-26-2007, 6:49 AM
im kinda concerned about the two legged predators protecting their pot farm, not mutant turkeys :o

10-4 on that one!

metalhead357
03-26-2007, 6:55 AM
Why would you waste time putting down your shotgun to draw a pistol. I would figure you had #4 shot on a full choke. Not enough gun?

LOL! I had a buddy DROP his shotgun and go for his 9mm one time when we were out hunting 'cause we BOTH heard a growl that sounded VERY big. But when I saw he dropped the shotgun I was like WTF:confused:

To be fair/specific...it is illegal to HUNT turkey with a centerfire; if there is anything else in-season they *shouldn't* hassle you if you were to mention you were also hunting rabbits or something of the sort.....

Another note; it is not illegal, to the best of my knowlege, to carry concealed while hunting...actually in the field.............. some of the legals chime in please:D

KenpoProfessor
03-26-2007, 7:14 AM
If I were hunting (hypothetical of course, I don't anymore), I'd like a backup handgun for predators that could be a problem.

BTW, they do make bead loads for handguns (CCI), I've got them in .22, .40, and 9mm, and I might have some in .45.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

redneckshootist
03-26-2007, 8:28 AM
I always carry a sidearm when hunting and DFG never bothered me, I also always carry a pig tag and they are in season year round so if any body ask the Ruger Redhawk is for pigs:D

Bill_in_SD
03-26-2007, 8:41 AM
Legal to carry concealed if you are engaged in hunting or fishing:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=9270946926+1+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

"12027. Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:"

"g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition."

Cal. Penal Code 12027 (E)(3)(g)

Cal. Penal Code 12025:
"12025. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when
he or she does any of the following:"

Recommend printing a copy and keeping it on the person. (and the appropriate hunting/fishing license) This is especially important if you run into a drug-making operation out in the boonies - those guys don't limit their shotguns to 3 rounds..... or use a choke.... and carry other weapons..... you get the picture.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV......

Bill in SD

battlehatch
03-26-2007, 9:00 AM
I open carry whenever I am on BLM land or National Forest that permits it, which is most of them. I recently took up hunting, like a couple weeks ago, and I open carry a .45 when I am out and about on hunting lands (that permit it). I haven't had the pleasure of speaking with DFG warden while hunting, but I have read up on the regs and am confident that any encounter with a DFG will not result in anything other than normal questions on what I am hunting and "any luck yet?" just like when I would go fishing and run into them. Some of the areas we hunt could possibly have mountain lions or zombies so I prefer to pack a sidearm in addition to my rifle.

adamsreeftank
03-26-2007, 11:54 AM
ah yes, with all three rounds in the gun. I guess shot placement reigns supreme here.

Shot placement ALWAYS reigns supreme!

CSACANNONEER
03-26-2007, 1:13 PM
Sorry, I may have jumped the gun. I was thinking of hunting during Primitive Weapons seasons. But, I would suggest carrying 00 or a handgun only if it is legal to hunt something that is in season and that you have tags for. You would not want to be accused of attempting to use an illegal "method of take" (ie. a pistol) for turkeys.

E Pluribus Unum
03-26-2007, 1:53 PM
You will not find a law that says it is illegal to hunt with the sidearm on your side. I was told by a game warden that he cites everyone carrying a sidearm while bird hunting. The handgun is a "Method of take" and if you admit to hunting birds while in posession of a handgun it can be cited. This was an A-Hole game warden but it can be done.

Even if you say it is for self-defense only.

Here is a more practical situation. You are hunting deer in archery season only with a handgun on your side for self defence. This is much more practical because if a bear or other large creature comes around, a bow and arrow will be less efficient. He claims he cites people in this situation and lets them "explain it to the judge".

battlehatch
03-26-2007, 2:08 PM
Another example of an LEO with SMS-Small Man's Syndrome.

M. Sage
03-26-2007, 5:43 PM

In that case, if you've got #4 buck as noted above, you're good to go.

Shotgun with 4B > pistol > pointy stick. :p

moulton
03-26-2007, 6:12 PM
In that case, if you've got #4 buck as noted above, you're good to go.

Shotgun with 4B > pistol > pointy stick. :p

is it legal to be in posession of buckshot while turkey hunting? I thought there was a shot size limitation :confused:

Bill_in_SD
03-26-2007, 6:15 PM
You will not find a law that says it is illegal to hunt with the sidearm on your side. I was told by a game warden that he cites everyone carrying a sidearm while bird hunting. The handgun is a "Method of take" and if you admit to hunting birds while in posession of a handgun it can be cited. This was an A-Hole game warden but it can be done.

Even if you say it is for self-defense only.

Maybe that is why the law is designed so you can carry *concealed*.

Battlehatch reminded me of another element that may work against you - location. BLM, National Park, National Forest, State Park, Private Preserve - can't we have a consistent means to carry across all of those? :mad:

Bill in SD

1911_Mitch
03-26-2007, 6:18 PM
Concealed Glock 29 with a spare mag. Oh, and throw a few extra slugs, 00buck, 4buck and some #2magnums into the back of the vest.:D

E Pluribus Unum
03-26-2007, 6:25 PM
Maybe that is why the law is designed so you can carry *concealed*.

That does not matter.... concealed or otherwise it is a method of take and you can be cited for it.

If the game warden is the kind of jerk to be writing that ticket he will be the kind of jerk to ask if you are packing.

M. Sage
03-26-2007, 6:51 PM
is it legal to be in posession of buckshot while turkey hunting? I thought there was a shot size limitation :confused:

I was going off an above post that mentioned that shot size. Never hunted turkey, so I don't know exactly what shot you use. 4B doesn't sound too far off, though maybe just a tad big?

metalhead357
03-26-2007, 7:07 PM
311. Methods Authorized for Taking
Resident Small Game.
Only the following may be used to take resident
small game:
(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot
shells only and incapable of holding more than
three shells in the magazine and chamber
combined. If a plug is used to reduce the
capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements
of this section, the plug must be of one piece
construction incapable of removal without
disassembling the gun;
(b) Shotgun shells may not be used or
possessed that contain shot size larger than
No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2
may not be used or possessed when taking wild
turkey. All shot shall be loose in the shell.

there it is

battlehatch
03-26-2007, 7:12 PM
Again, I have never had an encounter with DFG while hunting, yet. But I have talked to I don't know how many while fishing. I have yet to meet one that is a dick. While fishing and crabbing with some friends on a cold windy day at Doran Beach, a DFG warden approached us in a gap in the rocks on the jetty. My friends were smoking some weed and we were all drinking liquor and beer. The warden asked how the catch was, we opened our cooler and showed him about 20 rock crabs between the three of us. He said that's great. I mentioned how cold it was and told me I should have another drink. He made a couple wise cracks about how he followed the interesting smell to our area, he took off, and we fished and crabbed the rest of the day. Most of my encounters have been like this and the only time a negative thing happened is when my friend was cited for fishing without a licence, which was his dumb*ss fault in the first place.

E Pluribus Unum
03-26-2007, 7:15 PM
there it is

I think number 2 shot would be quite effective against any target, man or beast.... :)

No 0 or 00 but I have seen what 4 would do.... if 2 is half way between 0 and 4 then i would say its got a good amount of punch... :)

I've not seen any 2 shot have you?

moulton
03-26-2007, 7:45 PM
I think number 2 shot would be quite effective against any target, man or beast.... :)

No 0 or 00 but I have seen what 4 would do.... if 2 is half way between 0 and 4 then i would say its got a good amount of punch... :)

I've not seen any 2 shot have you?
if that is the case I will stick with my Remington Premier Magnum "turkey loads" 12 guage, 2 3/4 4 shot

pieeater
03-26-2007, 7:55 PM
Again, I have never had an encounter with DFG while hunting, yet. But I have talked to I don't know how many while fishing. I have yet to meet one that is a dick. While fishing and crabbing with some friends on a cold windy day at Doran Beach, a DFG warden approached us in a gap in the rocks on the jetty. My friends were smoking some weed and we were all drinking liquor and beer. The warden asked how the catch was, we opened our cooler and showed him about 20 rock crabs between the three of us. He said that's great. I mentioned how cold it was and told me I should have another drink. He made a couple wise cracks about how he followed the interesting smell to our area, he took off, and we fished and crabbed the rest of the day. Most of my encounters have been like this and the only time a negative thing happened is when my friend was cited for fishing without a licence, which was his dumb*ss fault in the first place.

Met a few in the field they have all been pretty nice to me.

pieeater
03-26-2007, 7:58 PM
That does not matter.... concealed or otherwise it is a method of take and you can be cited for it.

If the game warden is the kind of jerk to be writing that ticket he will be the kind of jerk to ask if you are packing.

Pigs, coyotes, jack rabbits etc, etc, can be taken year round with centerfire. There is no law against hunting 2 specie at the same time. I would think the only way you could be cited is if you said you were only hunting turkey.

E Pluribus Unum
03-26-2007, 8:12 PM
Pigs, coyotes, jack rabbits etc, etc, can be taken year round with centerfire. There is no law against hunting 2 specie at the same time. I would think the only way you could be cited is if you said you were only hunting turkey.

That is what I alluded to when I said if you admit to "hunting birds".... :)

We each have our way out of things...

metalhead357
03-26-2007, 8:14 PM

And then to add fuel to the fire...they AINT *centerfire* per se but they work

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/metalhead357/adapters/adapters_005.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/metalhead357/adapters/adapters_007.jpg

E Pluribus Unum
03-26-2007, 8:17 PM
And then to add fuel to the fire...they AINT *centerfire* per se but they work

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/metalhead357/adapters/adapters_005.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/metalhead357/adapters/adapters_007.jpg

What the heck is that?? Blown up brass???

At first glance it looked like a .22LR insert for 9mm :)

metalhead357
03-26-2007, 8:19 PM
Tizzz Shotgun inserts. Allows pitol and/or rifle rounds to be fired through a shotgun. These are aluminum pistol versions; The rifle ones are made in Stainless steel...they supposedly make pistol ones too in stainless. I've 4 calibers- .38, 9mm, .44 Mag, and .22 LR:D

anotherone
03-27-2007, 8:11 AM

Anyone or anything who decides to mess with a hunter carrying a shotgun is pretty crazy to begin with. A single shot, whether it hits or not will definitely be enough to scare off even the most determined attacker. If you're using a 3.5 inch magnum 12 guage you're spraying almost 400 pellets out there so you're unlikely to miss larger targets. Most wildlife is terrified of humans on public land and any that might attack will run at the sound of a gun going off.

battlehatch
03-27-2007, 8:14 AM
I have heard stories of Cougars stalking hunters who are hunting coyotes... I'd rather have a few rounds to pop off just in case I miss one of those fast suckers.

royta
03-27-2007, 11:48 AM

I could be wrong, but the shot size mentioned in metalhead357's post is birdshot, not buckshot. I don't believe that buckshot is allowed to take any game animal. #2 birdshot is .150" diameter and #4 buckshot is .24" diameter. So, no, the #2 referred to in metalhead357's post does not fall between 0 and 4 buckshot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell#Shot_sizes

anotherone
03-27-2007, 6:18 PM
I could be wrong, but the shot size mentioned in metalhead357's post is birdshot, not buckshot. I don't believe that buckshot is allowed to take any game animal. #2 birdshot is .150" diameter and #4 buckshot is .24" diameter. So, no, the #2 referred to in metalhead357's post does not fall between 0 and 4 buckshot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell#Shot_sizes

Shot sizes of 00 and 0 are only lawful for use on Deer and Pigs and ONLY in special zones where the use of slugs is not permitted. If you've ever visited the box of truth webpage then you know the power of slugs. Slugs will pulverize "bullet-proof" glass that is very effective at stopping even .308.

I'm fairly certain that even BBB is unlawful for most game birds but I could be wrong. I only use BBs on geese anyhow and even then half the time it seems like they're wearing Kevlar!

Hunter
03-27-2007, 6:30 PM
Shot sizes of 00 and 0 are only lawful for use on Deer and Pigs and ONLY in special zones where the use of slugs is not permitted. If you've ever visited the box of truth webpage then you know the power of slugs. Slugs will pulverize "bullet-proof" glass that is very effective at stopping even .308.

I'm fairly certain that even BBB is unlawful for most game birds but I could be wrong. I only use BBs on geese anyhow and even then half the time it seems like they're wearing Kevlar!

BBB and Ts are allowed for waterfowl in CA, F shot or larger is not.