PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a 870P, want a longer barrel for trap, is this one gtg?

jingerale
02-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi All,

Just ordered my first shot gun this week. A trade-in Remington 870 Police.

I would like a 26" - 28" barrel for traps and skeet.

is this good to go?
http://grabagun.com/remington-arms-co-xbls-26314-870-exp-12-28-vt-md.html

It mentions modified rem-choke, does this mean the barrel has internal threads and I can install different chokes?

Thanks

Thefeeder
02-03-2012, 11:16 AM
That is the one to go with......has interchangeable chokes....comes with Mod installed.....you will need to buy a skeet choke (SK) or CLY for shooting skeet.

Need to add that these barrels have a mat finish.....if you want polished blue, you need to look at Wingmaster insted of Express

Rock6.3
02-03-2012, 11:36 AM
"Action Type Bolt"

aippi
02-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Also, as an Express barrel it will not have the detent ball retainer for the mag cap on your 870P. You can have a local smith install one on the barrel ring or go to www.brownells.com and enter the words "Wave Washer" in the search block. It says for a model 1100 but they work on all Remington shotguns. You install the barrel, put a wave washer over the magaine tube and then your mag cap. A pack of 3 is $6 and they will last you for a few years.

jingerale
02-03-2012, 2:38 PM
thanks for all the replies. it looks like it wasn't as simple as I thought.

The 870 won't be in my hands for at least another 2 weeks. enough time to do more reading.

Thanks

tonelar
02-03-2012, 2:46 PM
I bought a used matt blue barrel to do the same thing with my parkerized 870P. It showed up with a hole where the detent should go.
Anyone know if I can just get a spring and ball bearing from my local hardware store that'll fit?

aippi
02-03-2012, 3:03 PM
that is something you would get from Remington. The spring is part 16791 and ball is 17451 and both retail for $3.20 each. You will then need the staking tool. That can be found at Brownells as item number 080-870-205 and retails for $20.99. This is a tool you would seldom use and may never need again.

By the time you pay for the parts and shipping, the tool and shipping, it may be easier to have a local gun smith do it.

jingerale
02-06-2012, 6:15 PM
Also, as an Express barrel it will not have the detent ball retainer for the mag cap on your 870P. You can have a local smith install one on the barrel ring or go to www.brownells.com and enter the words "Wave Washer" in the search block. It says for a model 1100 but they work on all Remington shotguns. You install the barrel, put a wave washer over the magaine tube and then your mag cap. A pack of 3 is $6 and they will last you for a few years.

ok, so I looked around and it looks like the Wingmaster barrels are about $80- $100 more, if it's in stock.

Chances are I'll pick up a semi eventually, and I'd prefer not spend too much on a barrel now.

So most likely I will be ordering an express barrel from Buds and a bag of wave washers from Brownells.

Thanks!