PDA

View Full Version : Keep the patina or repark it? (Pics added)

kwansao
02-02-2012, 3:56 PM
(Pictures below)

Hey guys, I have a dilemma and I thought I would ask what Calgunners think of the subject.

I have a M1 that I suspect that it may have seen some combat overseas, so I want to treat it like a historical rifle, not just some beater parts rifle that i can throw around and not give a crap about. Problem is, it's not in shootable condition, and i can't stand to see this rifle in such poor shape. If I have it, i might as well be able to shoot it, so I want to restore the durn thing.

It had it's foreign military markings removed by the importer :facepalm:

I can get it reparkerized and there is a good chance the markings will show again. but the trade off is that the patina will be gone.

What would you do? Keep it as-is, without visible markings and with the patina, or send it to get parkerized and bring the foreign military stamp back out of the metal?

Bolillo
02-02-2012, 4:00 PM
Hey guys, I have a dilemma and I thought I would ask what Calgunners think of the subject.

I have a M1 that I suspect that it may have seen some combat overseas, so I want to treat it like a historical rifle, not just some beater parts rifle that i can throw around and not give a crap about. Problem is, it's not in shootable condition, so I have to restore the durn thing.

It had it's foreign military markings removed by the importer :facepalm:

I can get it reparkerized and there is a good chance the markings will show again. but the trade off is that the patina will be gone.

What would you do? Keep it as-is, without visible markings and with the patina, or send it to get parkerized and bring the foreign military stamp back out of the metal?

Choice #5

[ ] = Can't tell you what I think because there's no picture

Dr.Mauser
02-02-2012, 4:02 PM
:thumbsup:Choice #5

[ ] = Can't tell because there's no picture

:thumbsup:

Fate
02-02-2012, 4:06 PM
Are you sure the importer removed the military marks?

mosinnagantm9130
02-02-2012, 4:06 PM
:useless:

SVT-40
02-02-2012, 4:17 PM
Re-parkerizing any rifle will not change it from a rifle which is not shootable into one that is. In addition parkerization will not bring back any markings. If fact just the opposite will occur, it will obscure any remaining markings.

Just what makes the rifle "not shootable"?

Please post some pic's as that will truly tell the tale and allow a better evaluation of your rifle and allow us to have a more viable opinion.

kwansao
02-02-2012, 4:17 PM
Are you sure the importer removed the military marks?

It's not just my rifle. There are many of them out there in this condition. it would be reasonable to assume that the importer, or one of the previous owners of these rifles, (foreign military, possibly Guatemala) removed the markings when they purchased them.

it is not in shootable condition because it needs new internal parts and a new barrel. There are problems with the bolt going into battery. i know that the aesthetics of the finish do not determine the functionality of a weapon. It is the sandblasting, not the parkerizing, that will bring the markings back out, ... am i right?

This is an example of one in similar condition, before and after..
It is not my rifle. My rifle has less aggressive scrubbing on the receiver.

Before:
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j436/kwansao/before.jpg

After:
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j436/kwansao/after.jpg

The reason why I want the markings is because it is a indication of where it came from and what it's done in it's 'life'. Without these markings there is really no way to tell just by looking at it.

kwansao
02-04-2012, 9:11 PM
So the consensus is let the markings go and keep the patina. Why is that?

freonr22
02-04-2012, 9:16 PM
Silly question, but sandblasting etches metal, so how does that restore markings? That being said, if it were me, the purists will cringe, but I would restore it, repair and replace with period pieces when possible, and repark it.

ElvenSoul
02-04-2012, 9:25 PM
Allways get a rifle of vintage appraised!

ElvenSoul
02-04-2012, 9:26 PM
Always get a rifle of vintage appraised!

kwansao
02-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Silly question, but sandblasting etches metal, so how does that restore markings? That being said, if it were me, the purists will cringe, but I would restore it, repair and replace with period pieces when possible, and repark it.

Yes of course it makes no sense, and yet, look at those photos! They are the same rifle.