PDA

View Full Version : multiple misfires with the finn M39

Kerplow
02-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I shot the new nagant last weekend and got a bunch of misfires. Everytime i would wait ling enought to rule out a hang fire, recock the bolt and try again. They all went off the second time. Not sure what ammo it was, some sort of copper washed surplus. I did notice that the primers were getting more of a dent than a dimple. I did strip and clean the bolt before shooting, and firing pin protrusion was set according to the bolt tool.

I'm thinking maybe a tired firing pin spring. What say you?

Flyin Brian
02-02-2012, 1:08 PM
I've had that happen with some crappy ammo, I think it was Egyptian or something, but I usually have really good luck with the copper washed surplus.

By chance did you have any pierced primers at all? The reason I ask is I have had a pierced primer pop a tiny scrap of primer out and have it lodge itself in the end of the bolthead. Then when I tried to fire any more rounds, the little scrap kept the firing pin from moving all the way forward, causing light primer strikes from then on out. Might be worth checking.

TRAP55
02-02-2012, 1:15 PM
What's the ammo headstamp? Sounds like you guys are using the same stuff?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=526683

Kerplow
02-02-2012, 5:34 PM
What's the ammo headstamp? Sounds like you guys are using the same stuff?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=526683

headstamp is 188 77.

And now that I've read that link I've suddenly remembered that the primers did look suspiciously deep seated. I just measured one and it's .015 below grade. That does seem pretty deep, I just measured two other types and they were both .012. either way, >.010 seems really deep, to me.

Justintoxicated
02-02-2012, 6:41 PM
I read that some of those firing pin adjustment tools are off. (yea kinda defeats their purpose). Maybe you can find specs and measure yours.

bohoki
02-02-2012, 8:04 PM
i would not blame the gun untill it did the same with multiple types of ammo

TRAP55
02-02-2012, 8:22 PM
188 is Russian. I know I have a crate buried in the ammo dump, and it worked fine in all my Mosins.
Adjust the firing pin out a few thousandths and see if that works.

CDFingers
02-03-2012, 5:42 AM
Next time, it will be safer to pull back the cocking piece rather than to re cock the bolt.

CDFingers

big103
02-03-2012, 11:55 AM
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo025.htm

Yeah the stuff is Russian. Usually good stuff, If you have another nagant laying around try using firing pin spring out of it and maybe the firing pin and see if that makes a difference.

Fate
02-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Next time, it will be safer to pull back the cocking piece rather than to re cock the bolt.

CDFingers

^^This.

Also, Wolff sells replacement Mosin bolt springs if that proves to be the problem.

rojocorsa
02-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Never had a problem with Novosibirsk Soviet ammo.

HskrVern
02-03-2012, 6:55 PM
I just rolled the dice and increased the pin depth by a half turn per trial until I got the little boogers to detonate reliably. I'll have to test it out again when I run out of this junk. I've also noticed that the tip of my firing pin isn't too pretty. I'm almost wondering in my case if my firing pin broke or has worn down and just got overlooked at the Finn arsenal. However, they did get me a 1" group after 15 shots at 50 yards so I can't complain about the accuracy of 'em.....