PDA

View Full Version : CMP eligibility

duggan
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
I have a few questions about the CMP eligibility requirements and yes I read through the FAQ's from the site. I really don't want to join one of the local shooting clubs, I'm not really a "people person" as far as having to attend meetings and such. I've given the thought of joing the VFW as that would be less of a hassle, I've always enjoyed the old timer's stories, but I think I'd feel bad if I joined just to get a rifle. So basically what are some options to meet the eligibility requirements that some of you guys have taken?

For basic background info: 5.5 years Army service, Have a hunting license, shoot at least 2 times a month

paul0660
02-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Kern county? Get a LTC and go boy.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
If you are just trying to meet the club membership requirement why not join the Garand Collectors Association?

littlejake
02-02-2012, 12:51 PM
:iagree:

I'm a member of several veterans organizations -- been to one meeting in my entire life.

IIRC: you also must show activity in shooting sports if under 60 years of age. Your military service covers that. (DD-214) C&R license also meets the requirement.

"Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity: You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status. - Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms/marksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia."

duggan
02-02-2012, 1:12 PM
If you are just trying to meet the club membership requirement why not join the Garand Collectors Association?

Just checked that out, I think thats the route I'm going to take. I've been thinking about getting a Garand for awhile now and although buying a new repro has the benefit of new parts I think I'd enjoy having one with history on it much more.

Orlando
02-02-2012, 3:00 PM
Just checked that out, I think thats the route I'm going to take. I've been thinking about getting a Garand for awhile now and although buying a new repro has the benefit of new parts I think I'd enjoy having one with history on it much more.

IMO The M1 Collectors Club is a better option. It costs $14 per year and runs for a full year from the day you join unlike the GCA which runs from Sept-Sept no matter when you join.
Small club, no quarterly magazine but just a good way to get the most bang for your$$$
http://m1collectorsclub.com/

brianm767
02-02-2012, 3:22 PM
I joined the Garand Collectors Association, it's cheap and they automaticly link your membership with the CMP. you can also join the California Rifle Pistol Assn CRPA, I have memberships in both.

If your talking about shooting requirements, one easy way is to just have a range officer or a Cop if you know one whitness you shoot and then sign you off. Know any LEO's?

unlike the GCA which runs from Sept-Sept no matter when you join.
http://m1collectorsclub.com/

I joined at the beginning of August last year, my membership expires Sept of this year. I was afraid they'd expire me in one month, but I guess if your close to Sept, it will roll through till the next year.

Orlando
02-02-2012, 3:35 PM
Yes if you join within the month before you are OK, If you join in March you get half a years membership for $25
The M1 Collectors Club also tells CMP of your membership as do alot of other clubs
Dont get me wrong the GCA is good, I just think there are better options for someone wanting to get the most out of their$$$$

littlejake
02-02-2012, 3:38 PM
I joined the Garand Collectors Association, it's cheap and they automaticly link your membership with the CMP. you can also join the California Rifle Pistol Assn CRPA, I have memberships in both.

I found a couple of years ago that the CRPA is not on the list for acceptable organizations for the CMP. Just looked and I don't see them. Which is surprising since they are the recognized state NRA organization.

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearchSubmit.cgi?clubMembership=OPEN&state=CA

I think I used the American Legion.

Kodemonkey
02-02-2012, 3:43 PM
Also, the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation qualifies. 2 year membership gets you a discounted rate on a Glock. That's what I did for my boss, but it's only worth it if you are into Glocks.

Bolillo
02-02-2012, 4:36 PM
I found a couple of years ago that the CRPA is not on the list for acceptable organizations for the CMP. Just looked and I don't see them.

CRPA is listed under the State Associations Section (http://www.odcmp.com/Clubs/Forms/StateAssocList.pdf)

I can't say if that's an issue for rifles sales, because I haven't bought another one recently, but a CRPA membership is GTG for ammo at a minimum.

02-02-2012, 5:05 PM
Join the California Rifle and Pistols asociation by mail. Simple, costs very little and you never have to go to a meeintg or talk with another person.

Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/fo...rksmanship.pdf

Go to one of the local ranges and ask the Ranger Master to sign you off relative to the demonstration and safe handling requirements. Bring the form with you. If you cannot find a range master to do this, let me know (PM) and if you live anywhere close to one of the ranges in the LA area, I will be happy to do it for you.

littlejake
02-02-2012, 5:09 PM
CRPA is listed under the State Associations Section (http://www.odcmp.com/Clubs/Forms/StateAssocList.pdf)

I can't say if that's an issue for rifles sales, because I haven't bought another one recently, but a CRPA membership is GTG for ammo at a minimum.

Thanks for the correction. I was not turned down based on CRPA. I ordered a Garand from the CMP in 2008; and I didn't see the CRPA listed, so, I provided a copy of both my CRPA and American Legion cards. I got my Garand with no problem -- a Correct Grade Springfield Armory with a serial number in the 5.8 million range -- estimated year of manufacture was 1955. I assume it was one of the Greek returns. It was on the higher end of Correct Grade -- Just Short of Collector's Grade.

ke6guj
02-02-2012, 5:40 PM
I found a couple of years ago that the CRPA is not on the list for acceptable organizations for the CMP. Just looked and I don't see them. Which is surprising since they are the recognized state NRA organization.

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearchSubmit.cgi?clubMembership=OPEN&state=CA

I think I used the American Legion.
they used to be acceptable. I have used CRPA in the past with CMP. I don't know why it changed.

eighteenninetytwo
02-02-2012, 7:36 PM
So the garand collectors association qualifies as proof of a shooting involvement, even though they can't verify that you actually shoot?

ke6guj
02-02-2012, 8:14 PM
So the garand collectors association qualifies as proof of a shooting involvement, even though they can't verify that you actually shoot?

no, membership in the GCA meets the "club membership" requirements, nto the "shooting activiity" requirement.

microwaveguy
02-02-2012, 8:51 PM

There is a whole list of things that fulfill the firearm activity. Not a full list but a DD-214 , hunter safety , NRA class or the California HSC all will fill that requirement.

Justahobby
02-02-2012, 9:14 PM
I second the M1 collectors club they sent me a card and i scanned it and sent it off.
14 dollers and done.
CMP charged my credit card today.

Blitzburgh
02-02-2012, 10:40 PM
When I got my M1 from the CMP I joined the CRPA and got my C&R - covered everything including the shooting requirement - has that changed?

Mssr. Eleganté
02-02-2012, 10:45 PM
When I got my M1 from the CMP I joined the CRPA and got my C&R - covered everything including the shooting requirement - has that changed?

It has not changed. A C&R FFL still covers the "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity" requirement and CRPA membership still covers the "Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization" requirement.

littlejake
02-03-2012, 8:31 AM
It has not changed. A C&R FFL still covers the "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity" requirement and CRPA membership still covers the "Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization" requirement.
:iagree: I was wrong about the CRPA -- I just could not find it on the list back in 2008.

The OP has military experience -- so, he's in with his DD214 for "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity"

There is a whole list of things that fulfill the firearm activity. Not a full list but a DD-214 , hunter safety , NRA class or the California HSC all will fill that requirement.

I would be surprised if the CA HSC is acceptable since it does not involve live fire. The language from the CMP is in post #4 in this thread.

eighteenninetytwo
02-03-2012, 8:45 AM
AaaAgh just remembered I have to be a citizen. I have a green card but no citizenship. Dammit. Wonder if my wife wants to start shooting.

duggan
02-03-2012, 8:58 AM
Thanks for the replies, now it's a bit of a waiting game and decision on what grade to get. Will hopefully have a Garand in hand in the next 2-3 months.

ke6guj
02-03-2012, 9:26 AM
I would be surprised if the CA HSC is acceptable since it does not involve live fire. The language from the CMP is in post #4 in this thread.Orest from the CMP has stated that the HSC is acceptable to them.

Eljay
02-03-2012, 7:33 PM
Orest from the CMP has stated that the HSC is acceptable to them.

Plus I know somebody who did it with no problems, and in prior threads here people have posted the same. It's an "other firearms related activity". My personal theory at this point the requirement is intended to be hyper flexible - mostly just making it a bit more difficult for people to avoid limits by signing up all their cousins.