PDA

View Full Version : out of state purchase question

mrbongo01
02-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Good morning… I need some advice… I just purchased a used Taurus 605 ( 5rd 2” barrel snub nose) from Gunbroker. The handgun is on the approved weapons list. The gentleman I purchased the handgun from lives in Tucson, AZ. I am a resident of California. His FFL refuses and states he will not transfer the handgun to California. Another FFL wants to charge $70 to do the transfer from Arizona FFL to California FFL.

From what I researched, the gentleman I purchased the handgun from does not have to go through an FFL in Arizona to transfer the weapon. The handgun can be sent directly from out of state private party directly to the FFL in California. Is this correct? Any input would be greatly advised… Thanks in advance…..

Quiet
02-02-2012, 2:44 AM
From what I researched, the gentleman I purchased the handgun from does not have to go through an FFL in Arizona to transfer the weapon. The handgun can be sent directly from out of state private party directly to the FFL in California. Is this correct?
This is correct.
The individual will need to include a copy of his state DL/ID for the recieving FFL's paperwork.

There are no Federal or state requirements that requires the use of a FFL dealer to ship a firearm to another FFL dealer.

However, check with the FFL dealer recieving the firearm. Because some FFL dealers perfer to recieve only from other FFLs for ease of paperwork.

davbog44
02-02-2012, 4:17 AM
FWIW, there is an FFL in AZ, Quentin Laser, that is familiar with and will deal with transfers in to CA t your FFL. I can't at the moment find their contact info, but I am pretty sure you can google them. They only charged me $25.00 in a similar situation.

mrbongo01
02-02-2012, 6:16 AM
So if I am correct, it is not against the law for a private party person that resides in AZ to ship a handgun to a California FFL holder for a lawful purchase and transfer?

The person I am buying the gun from insist it is against the law for anyone other than an FFL to ship a handgun...

ke6guj
02-02-2012, 6:52 AM
So if I am correct, it is not against the law for a private party person that resides in AZ to ship a handgun to a California FFL holder for a lawful purchase and transfer? correct. but your FFL has to be willing to accept a shipment from a non-licensee. Many FFLs will only accept, as a company policy, shipments from other FFLs.

The person I am buying the gun from insist it is against the law for anyone other than an FFL to ship a handgun...
then you are buying it from someone that is ignorant of the law. If he wants to use an FFL to ship the firearm, that is his right, but it is required that he do so.

He might be mixxing up "ship a handgun" vs. "mail a handgun". Only FFLs can use USPS to MAIL a handgun, but a non-licensee can use UPS/FEDEX to SHIP a handgun.

tenpercentfirearms
02-02-2012, 7:33 AM
It is 100% legal for a private citizen to ship a firearm to an FFL. If your seller does not want to do this, then let the seller pay for all additional fees and costs associated with this over the amount agreed to upon in the auction.

www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1118

kemasa
02-02-2012, 8:06 AM
The seller can contact the BATF to confirm that he can ship the firearm, just not through USPS as others have said.

A copy of the seller's ID is not required by law, but many FFL require it so that they can confirm who the firearm is coming from. The is the same as a FFL who refuses to receive firearms from non-FFLs, it is their right, but not the law.

Shipping through FedEx or UPS requires next day air, which can be expensive, but it should not be too bad since it is close.

mrbongo01
02-02-2012, 2:55 PM
Thank you all very much for your information..... :clap: