PDA

View Full Version : New to C&R please help

Vanilla Gorilla
02-01-2012, 10:54 PM
so i am totaly new to the whole c&r thing and i dont quite understand any of it and i was hoping you could answer some of my questions sort of a c&r for dummies if you will
i know some of these questions might sound dumb but i will never know if i never ask so here it goes
what is a c&r gun?
how do c&r sales work?
do i have to have a c&r license to buy c&r guns?
do i have to have a c&r license to sell c&r guns?
how much does a c&r license cost?
what is required to obtain a c&r license?
any help would be appreciated
thanks
vanilla

TheExpertish
02-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Okay, here's the gist of it.
1. C&R gun is 50 years of age or older, or is noted as such on a federal list issued by the ATF. There is more to it but stick with that.
2. C&R sales work a many different ways. Between people it's cash and carry, minus handguns. Dealers it's business as usual no matter the age. That only applies to here in CA. Outside of the state is where having your 03 FFL really shines.
3. No.
4. No.
5. $30
6. The ability to breathe and buy guns legally.

Thumb through the stickies above, and you'll get a bigger picture. I didn't want to overwhelm you with tons of info. The ATF's FAQ's are a good place to start as well. Use Google.

Vanilla Gorilla
02-01-2012, 11:10 PM
reason im interested is i have a 51 Russian sks i want to sell
now forgive me for being dumb but...... if you dont need a c&r license to buy or sell why do you need one at all?
also does the gun i want to sell have to be in its original factory condition to be sold as a c&r or is it ok if the stock has been replaced with a synthetic one?

comblock
02-01-2012, 11:18 PM
intrastate buying and selling of C&R guns is allowed with an 03 FFL. Let's say I see a good deal on a russian sks in Ozark Armory in Arkansas. I call them up, tell them I have an 03 FFL, fax them my C&R license, pay for it and it arrives at my doorstep. There are tens of thousands of gunstores throughout America, tons of C&R deals. Quite fun actually.

Eddie1965
02-02-2012, 1:11 AM
^ and it can expensive real fast, lol.

oftenindeed
02-02-2012, 6:33 AM
intrastate INTERstate buying and selling of C&R guns is allowed with an 03 FFL. Let's say I see a good deal on a russian sks in Ozark Armory in Arkansas. I call them up, tell them I have an 03 FFL, fax them my C&R license, pay for it and it arrives at my doorstep. There are tens of thousands of gunstores throughout America, tons of C&R deals. Quite fun actually.

Fixed it for ya ;) Intrastate (at least in CA) is legally FTF C&C. If 1 person has a C&R FFL, CA driver's license (or some proof of address) is required for their bound book.

TheExpertish
02-02-2012, 7:09 AM
reason im interested is i have a 51 Russian sks i want to sell
now forgive me for being dumb but...... if you dont need a c&r license to buy or sell why do you need one at all?
also does the gun i want to sell have to be in its original factory condition to be sold as a c&r or is it ok if the stock has been replaced with a synthetic one?

At this point it does not because it's already past the 50 year mark. It doesn't have C&R status if you have a new stock on it, but that doesn't mean it's not a 60-year-old gun. It's only an issue if a Yugo SKS from 1965 which is on the C&R list has a synthetic stock, but isn't yet 50-years-old. The easy fix is just to put the old stock back on.