PDA

View Full Version : 246.3pc does it affect my right to own a compound bow

themug626
02-01-2012, 6:46 PM
long story short we were dumb kids shooting rifles out in the middle of bum ****d egypt and got caught up because it was a shotgun only desert,
i was convicted of misdemeanor offensse and guns were destroyed , im on unsupervised probation and community serivce blah blah blah

i wanna know if it would be illegal to purchase a bow and start an archery hobby since i cant own a gun until after probabtion?does my charge infringe that right? 246.3pc

thank you guys for your time and info.

safe shooting...please dont make the same mistake i did. check with BLM if it is legal for you to shoot in the area that isnt a designated shooting range,

tankarian
02-01-2012, 9:02 PM
long story short we were dumb kids shooting rifles out in the middle of bum ****d egypt and got caught up because it was a shotgun only desert,
i was convicted of misdemeanor offensse and guns were destroyed , im on unsupervised probation and community serivce blah blah blah

i wanna know if it would be illegal to purchase a bow and start an archery hobby since i cant own a gun until after probabtion?does my charge infringe that right? 246.3pc

safe shooting...please dont make the same mistake i did. check with BLM if it is legal for you to shoot in the area that isnt a designated shooting range,

(Although it would be awesome) last time I checked my compound bow doesn't fire projectiles propelled by gunpowder or any other fast oxidizing chemical reaction that may put it in the FIRE arms category.
Not a lawyer but I believe you should be OK.

IrishPirate
02-01-2012, 9:11 PM
not 100% either, but i'm pretty sure you're in the clear. Last time i checked, there was no background checks for Bows and that PC only deals with firearms. interested to find out for sure though...

timmyb21
02-01-2012, 9:24 PM
Check with your probation officer. My cousin was told to just be safe and not have one while on probation. I mean, they can violate you for a pocket knife, what makes you think that they won't for a bow? I would say not to get one.

Carnivore
02-01-2012, 9:54 PM
Well Bo and Luke Duke used Bows because they were convicted felons (moonshiners) so if they can do it then you should be fine....OK just kidding but yes you can own and use a compound bow as they are not covered under the prohibited persons clause.

Apocalypsenerd
02-01-2012, 10:20 PM
For hunting, I think a crossbow is considered a firearm. I don't know if it is considered a firearm for self defense. I have no idea about compound or longb bow. Definitely check with the right people before getting yourself in trouble.

Librarian
02-01-2012, 10:33 PM
For hunting, I think a crossbow is considered a firearm. I don't know if it is considered a firearm for self defense. I have no idea about compound or longbow. Definitely check with the right people before getting yourself in trouble.

Well, no.

F&G 3000 and 10500 describe behaviors with crossbows in the same places/paragraphs as firearms, but doesn't call one 'the same as' the other.

Simplify - ask the PO.

themug626
02-02-2012, 6:10 AM
thank you everyone i will definitely check and let you all know.

sucks living in commiefornia

if this happened in any other state. what we did wouldnt have got us in this predicament

thanks for your time everyone

SJgunguy24
02-02-2012, 6:22 AM

Unless specified by your probation you could have black powder guns. They are not considered "firearms" by federal law. IIRC the state yeilds to federal law in the case of black powder. I'd be more intrested in fighting that conviction, 10 years is a long time to give up your rights.
Rifle in a Shotgun only area sure seems like a long strech.

Except as otherwise authorized by law, any person who
willfully discharges a firearm in a grossly negligent manner which
could result in injury or death to a person is guilty of a public
offense and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not
exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison

I understand if you don't want to get into specifics but man I would fight that tooth and nail.

deadcoyote
02-02-2012, 6:28 AM
If you were placed on summary (likely) or formal (probably not) probation you need to find out if you are prohibited from possessing a "deadly weapon". If so, you need to speak to someone at your local probation department or DA's office to see if they consider the bow a deadly weapon or not. It's pretty screwey, every county pretty much handles this differently.

joash
02-02-2012, 6:48 AM
Speak to your attorney who represented you when you pled to the offense. There is a good chance that one of the conditions of your probation is that you cannot own, use or possess any dangerous or deadly weapons and a crossbow definitely falls into that category.

ke6guj
02-02-2012, 6:49 AM
Unless specified by your probation you could have black powder guns. They are not considered "firearms" by federal law. IIRC the state yeilds to federal law in the case of black powder.

that would be incorrect. CA considers black power "antique" muzzleloader firearms to be firearms. They just exempt them from specific parts of the CA, such as the requirement that they be transfered through an FFL. But most other restrictions on "modern" firearms also apply to "antique" firearms.