View Full Version : History of my Webley revolver pair

02-01-2012, 6:00 PM
I have a pair of Webley Mk4 .38 revolvers with consecutive serial numbers. My wife purchased them for me at Pony Express sometime in the 90s. One looked unfired, the other very slight wear. I recently learned of Richard Milner Ltd in the UK who for a fee will provide a copy of the sales invoice for Webley handguns. Cost is about $50. I took the plunge, sent off my information and received an envelope in the mail today from Mr. Milner. My two Webley revovlers were part of a shipment of 600 Mk4s sent to the Metropolitan Police District, New Scotland Yard shipped by train on December 22nd 1955 (I was 8 months old then!) for a price of 10/2/6 each. Pretty cool stuff! I think it was worth the month to learn this. Military revolvers won't have this sort of detail according to Mr. Milner.

02-01-2012, 6:04 PM
Very cool!!!! I love stuff like this!

gun toting monkeyboy
02-01-2012, 6:07 PM
I love Webleys. I use a copy of the old .38-200 service load in mine. It shoots POA, and hits like a truck.

02-01-2012, 6:56 PM
Very cool. I always enjoy learning the history behind any firearm

Mssr. Eleganté
02-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Ten pounds two and six comes out to around $316 in todays money if you use a retail pricing historical calculator and $775 if you use an "affordability" calculator.

02-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Man those are nice!

02-02-2012, 1:19 AM
Very nice! I used to own a .455 Webley and fired it a few times. As an antique firearm, I shot it sparingly. Now I wouldn't hesitate, because I think it's a sturdy build. Funny how they fold open and closed to access the cylinder.

Paulie Lugnuts
02-02-2012, 7:13 AM
Very nice. 1955, must have been when English police were still allowed to carry guns.

Mike A
02-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Paulie, actually they are MUCH more likely to carry guns now than in 1955; they simply have to have officially qualified for firearms use (not all police do) and have permission from the sector commander--they also have to give a serious reason for carrying, usually the presence of armed criminals in the area, or an actual incident involving arms that they have to respond to. In chronic high crime areas some carry as a matter of course under special orders; other areas have special response teams that are armed in a central location. Cumbersome and slow by our standards, but a big change from the past when firearms were only carried by Specials. When they do issue a firearm, it's as likely to be an MP-5 (they call it a "Hockler") as a handgun.

smle-man, I had a Webley identical to those that had been bought by the East Midlands Police and then never issued as they decided on the Walther PPK as their issue weapon. This was in the very early 1960s, so it may have been one of the last Webleys made. It came with two front sights, one marked 200 for the English .38-200 rounds and the other marked 146 for the US .38 S&W. Mine didn't have the safety that many police Webleys had. Neat revolvers (but I'd rather have a Chief's Special in a fight).

Anubis Laughed
02-03-2012, 6:55 PM
Nice ones! I like the .38 Webleys that have the full hammers, rather than the DA-only wartime ones. The Police History really adds to them.

Mike A
02-03-2012, 7:45 PM
DA only "Webleys" are actually Enfields; similar, same cartridge, but not the same gun. They were THE official British Army handgun starting in the mid-1930s--Webleys, both .38 and .455 became substitute standard, as were US .45 revolvers and autos, and Hi-Powers.