PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a firearm

dougncrew
02-01-2012, 2:25 PM
I am getting ready to travel from CA to PA for work and I would like to carry while in PA. I have an AZ non -resident CCW and I see that PA does recognize and accept them.
I am flying on SWA and on their web site they say that if I have the firearm in a locked hard sided gun case I can put it in my checked luggage. They also say that I can have ammo in the same carry on as long as it is in a hard sided locked case.
Here are my questions.
1. Is the plastic case that the pistol comes in with a pad lock on it acceptable?
2. Can the magazine be in the same case as long as it is not in the gun?
3. Can the Ammo be in the magazine?
Please let me know what I am to do. I have never flown with a firearm before.

Capt_Communist
02-01-2012, 2:27 PM
1 yes
2 yes
3 different box (I usually just get ammo when I get to my destination)

Untamed1972
02-01-2012, 2:41 PM
I am getting ready to travel from CA to PA for work and I would like to carry while in PA. I have an AZ non -resident CCW and I see that PA does recognize and accept them.
I am flying on SWA and on their web site they say that if I have the firearm in a locked hard sided gun case I can put it in my checked luggage. They also say that I can have ammo in the same carry on as long as it is in a hard sided locked case.
Here are my questions.
1. Is the plastic case that the pistol comes in with a pad lock on it acceptable?
2. Can the magazine be in the same case as long as it is not in the gun?
3. Can the Ammo be in the magazine?
Please let me know what I am to do. I have never flown with a firearm before.

1) Yes, but maybe less than secure when it comes to tampering. You might wanna consider a small Pelican case or something of the sort. I have an 1170 case that will fit a fullsized glock, 2 mags and box of ammo. Cost about $40. Cheap insurance I think.

2) Yes. could prolly even be in the gun as long as there are no rounds in it.

3) I have had ammo in mags and never had an issue. I think some airline policies state this is ok as long as the exposed ammo at the top of the mag is secured in a manner in which it cant come loose out of the mag while in transport. Some say that mags with ammo are GTG if they're in a magpouch or something like that even.

Untamed1972
02-01-2012, 2:44 PM
1 yes
2 yes
3 different box (I usually just get ammo when I get to my destination)

In terms of carrying for self-defense.....not very practical. Unless they sell ammo at the airport, that would mean you're unprotected until you can get to a store and buy ammo.

Maestro Pistolero
02-01-2012, 2:46 PM
Ammo in mags fine as long as primer in the top round protected. Full mag, in mag pouch and in hard sided case ok. Another way is full mags under foam with gun on top of the foam in locking case. All this is declared and checked, of course.

Icypu
02-01-2012, 3:36 PM
I can share a story. I travelled on American Airlines with a Plano case with a semi-auto shotgun in the case from my destination (not LAX). Also in the case was an oem pistol case with a Jericho 941 in it. I had 100 rounds in 2 boxes of .40S&W as well as 2 small boxes of buck. Leaving my destination, the airlines didn't even inspect it, they just trusted me. They asked me to sign an affidavit that the firearms were unloaded, and that the ammunition was in original packaging. This affidavit was included in the case.

I also carried the box (after I locked it back up) to the TSA check in luggage scanner. I had regular padlocks on it and I asked the lady if she had to open it. I also told her if she had to, I would be there to watch. She told me "No you won't need to open it unless it alarms". She swabbed it from a swatch and it cleared so she put it on the belt to the plane. I didn't even have to open it up or unlock it. This was not the same experience I had in LAX.

Now travelling out of LAX, I remember the inspectors opened every box of ammunition 20 feet away from me within my eyesight and checked each bullet. Checking every bullet took them 5 minutes per box.

Later, they swabbed me because I was with my infant in a harness at the main security to the gates. I alarmed a silent alarm on their machine. The TSA inspector (this was on Christmas day) took me and my baby in the back of the line. He asked supervisor on the podium if he had to frisk me, as well as the baby. The supervisor told him to do us both since I alarmed. It was the most annoying and uncomfortable thing to patted down all over. After he patted me down he had to pat down the baby who I was carrying in my chest harness in front of me. I told him "Hey is this really necessary?, My baby isn't wearing anything except a jumper and a diaper". All he said "If it is any consolation, merry Xmas"!

The moral of this story is TSA in LAX are super vigilant, and will make it uncomfortable if you carry a lot of weapons or ammunition. Furthermore, don't clean your gun, or go to a shooting range before flying because you will alarm if swabbed. I think it was the Hoppes 9 on my hands that got me inspected.

dougncrew
02-01-2012, 3:42 PM
Well I just ordered a steel lock gun case just to be safe. I am flying out of ontario airport and in to baltimore airport. ANd that brings up a thought I was only checking on the PA end of it and forgot I was flying into baltimore.

Librarian
02-01-2012, 3:48 PM
Just added an article at the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Flying_with_firearms

Much more than a stub, but feels incomplete.

Anyone have a favorite Calguns discussion thread on flying with firearms I could link?

Paper Boy
02-01-2012, 3:53 PM
Anyone have a favorite Calguns discussion thread on flying with firearms I could link?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-466349.html
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-415506.html

Librarian
02-01-2012, 4:10 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-466349.html
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-415506.html

Thanks! I'll use the first one.

Decoligny
02-01-2012, 4:16 PM
Well I just ordered a steel lock gun case just to be safe. I am flying out of ontario airport and in to baltimore airport. ANd that brings up a thought I was only checking on the PA end of it and forgot I was flying into baltimore.

Maryland only recognizes Maryland CCWs.

It is illegal under Maryland law for anyone without a permit to carry/transport, either openly or concealed, any handgun.

Don't expect the FOPA to keep you from being arrested and having your handgun confiscated and having to put up bail and then later having to come back to Maryland to stand trial.

I would see if you can rebook your travel so that you are actually flying into Pennsylvania.

Paper Boy
02-01-2012, 4:17 PM
Thanks! I'll use the first one.

No problem

Havoc70
02-01-2012, 4:18 PM
Maryland only recognizes Maryland CCWs.

It is illegal under Maryland law for anyone without a permit to carry/transport, either openly or concealed, any handgun.

Don't expect the FOPA to keep you from being arrested and having your handgun confiscated and having to put up bail and then later having to come back to Maryland to stand trial.

I would see if you can rebook your travel so that you are actually flying into Pennsylvania.

So long as his luggage doesn't ever come into his possession at Maryland (i.e. just a plane change, and the luggage stays "in the system"), he'll be fine as he isn't transporting his firearm(s), a regulated carrier is.

dougncrew
02-01-2012, 4:24 PM
So long as his luggage doesn't ever come into his possession at Maryland (i.e. just a plane change, and the luggage stays "in the system"), he'll be fine as he isn't transporting his firearm(s), a regulated carrier is.

No he is right. I drive to PA from MD. well thats that. :facepalm:

Havoc70
02-01-2012, 4:58 PM
Ah, yah, well that is a wrinkle. Sorry for the mis-read.

TempleKnight
02-01-2012, 5:40 PM
This is a good thread for competition travel. Traveling with an AR, a shotgun and hand guns is a little more complicated, but the same basic issues apply. TSA and airline personnel are not always on the same page.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=508533&highlight=flying

Untamed1972
02-02-2012, 8:30 AM

Steel case may regularly trigger requests to have the case opened for inspection since the Xray wont be able to see thru the case for them to see whats inside.

Just something to think about.

Untamed1972
02-02-2012, 8:31 AM
No he is right. I drive to PA from MD. well thats that. :facepalm:

you can always ship it to yourself somewhere in PA and pick it up when you get there.

wayneinFL
02-02-2012, 5:56 PM
Ammo in mags fine as long as primer in the top round protected. Full mag, in mag pouch and in hard sided case ok. Another way is full mags under foam with gun on top of the foam in locking case. All this is declared and checked, of course.

That's accepted per the TSA regs and usually that works. If you fly enough you'll still run into a problem. I have a mag pouch for 1911 mags that covers the magazines to the point you can just barely see the floorplate. TSA in Memphis wouldn't let it in my checked bag. Moronic. They'll let it in there in the factory cardboard box and you end up rounds rolling around in your luggage when you reach your destination. :facepalm:

Another problem one of the guys on FSN ran into was in a Plano gun case. The TSA guy could pull the side open far enough to touch the gun even with the padlock on it. Wouldn't let it on checked baggage.

Flying through MD you're okay. I've checked a handgun in luggage at Baltimore before. Flying through anywhere is okay. If you get delayed somewhere it can be a pain. I spent a night on an extended layover at the Newark airport on the way to Ohio. It would have been nice to get my bags and spend a night at the hotel, but I couldn't have declared my firearm to get on my connecting flight without getting arrested.

paul0660
02-02-2012, 6:01 PM
TSA in LAX are super vigilant,

That is EXACTLY how I want them to be.

Chitwood
02-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Here's Southwest's official policy (look for the "guns and ammunition" link on the left side):

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

You can get a quality TSA-approved steel case for under $30. Ammo in the box it came in or some other organized container isn't a bad idea. I travel regularly and as long as you know the law where you're going you won't have much problem. Bring on National Reprocicity!!!

Decoligny
02-03-2012, 8:58 AM
That's accepted per the TSA regs and usually that works. If you fly enough you'll still run into a problem. I have a mag pouch for 1911 mags that covers the magazines to the point you can just barely see the floorplate. TSA in Memphis wouldn't let it in my checked bag. Moronic. They'll let it in there in the factory cardboard box and you end up rounds rolling around in your luggage when you reach your destination. :facepalm:

Another problem one of the guys on FSN ran into was in a Plano gun case. The TSA guy could pull the side open far enough to touch the gun even with the padlock on it. Wouldn't let it on checked baggage.

Flying through MD you're okay. I've checked a handgun in luggage at Baltimore before. Flying through anywhere is okay. If you get delayed somewhere it can be a pain. I spent a night on an extended layover at the Newark airport on the way to Ohio. It would have been nice to get my bags and spend a night at the hotel, but I couldn't have declared my firearm to get on my connecting flight without getting arrested.

You managed to get lucky, once. That doesn't make it OK to fly out of a MD airport with a handgun.

You got lucky and managed to get a person who wasn't familiar with Maryland law. That won't always happen.

It is ILLEGAL for anyone to carry/transport a handgun in Maryland without a Maryland CCW. The Firearms Owner Protection Act (FOPA) allows you to travel through Maryland with your firearm as long as you are coming from somewhere you can legally have the firearm and are on your way to somewhere you can legally have the firearm, but similar to New York, they sometimes just don't care.

If you are a California resident, and get caught in the Baltimore Airport trying to check in a handgun by someone who knows Maryland law, they may ask to see your permit. If you don't have one, their next action will be to call the Maryland Police who WILL take you into custody. They will confiscate your firearm, and they MAY charge you with illegal possession of a firearm. This will end up causing you to miss your flight. It will cost you the bail money. If they decide to drop the charges, then you may not have to pay for another flight to Baltimore to appear in court. You will however have to jump through all the hoops necessary to get your gun back. This may take months, and it may take more money that the firearm is worth.

DO NOT FLY INTO A STATE THAT REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE THEIR LICENCSE UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY HAVE THEIR LICENSE.

To do so is playing Russian Roullette.

Maestro Pistolero
02-03-2012, 9:43 AM
Understood. But this will be fail eventually.

Example: Driving directly from PA to a Maryland airport en route to FLA makes MD only part of a continuous journey.

Maryland, in that case would not be the destination, but only a leg of the journey. Being legal in both FLA and PA puts one squarely under the protection of FOPA. Just because some states are in the habit of running afoul of federal law does not justify illegal arrests.

When the time is right, a well-planned and coordinated simultaneous caravan of a few dozen gun owners video-documenting such a journey and the subsequent arrests would go a long way shine the light on this government malfeasance.

Of course, we'd need to put a few hundred thousand into a legal defense/bail fund. It would definitely get some play in the mainstream media.

You could even notify LE in advance, in writing of your intentions, explaining in great detail how you will be in total compliance with and relying on FOPA. Then do it in in NY and in NJ.

SouthCoastTargets
02-03-2012, 10:06 AM
i saw this video about a guy who did a seminar about flying with guns, the video is 40 minutes long but actually rather entertaining (dude has a sense of humor) and very informational (the dude knows his ****) enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGjddG5Owsc

what i find interesting is that it doesn't matter if your flying with cap and ball pistol or an NFA registered M2HB. the firearms are treated by the TSA no differently.