View Full Version : k31 - diopter vs. scope

02-01-2012, 12:05 PM
I don't plan on shooting any matches. So which is better once I want to move on from the original sights?

The swiss products diopter sight costs more than the rifle...and I'm sure its worth it, but that is still not a pricepoint I would jump into without analysis.

02-01-2012, 1:22 PM
Variable, if you're not going to shoot matches, get the scope. Can you take a deer or antelope with a Diopter. Yes, its been done many times, but why would you want to limit the field of vision?

02-01-2012, 1:27 PM
Now this is just my personal opinion - and not really an answer to your question, but I don't really like scopes, they take the fun out of it for me.

I don't have as of yet a Swiss Products Diopter - but I will very shortly. I'm planning on shooting a match in March so I want to get it here and get it zeroed in and comfortable with it asap.

As far as scopes go, if you are hunting or doing super precision shooting - absolutely, go for it. But for me, who doesn't hunt nor really shoot any matches on a regular basis, a scope just makes it booring. I have a PTR91-MSG that I spent a big pile of loot on getting it as accurate as possible (for that rifle at least). It's not by any means a "sniper" rifle - but I'm by no means a sniper. Pretty much everything you can do to that particular rifle to make it more accurate has been done. I have a 12 power Redfield scope on top of it - the "new" Redfield Revolution, not the older kinda junky scopes that Redfield put out for awhile. I can pretty much just sit down behind the gun and pull the trigger and hit whatever I'm shooting at everytime without any kind of real work involved. No fun... booring!

Now with iron sights or a Diopter - that's fun! It takes some work to hit targets out there 300 or 600 or 800 or whatever yards. It takes concentration, you have to control your breathing, it's not a given that you will even come close to the target unless you are really putting some effort into it. To me it's like meditation - clear your mind... control your breathing... pull slooooooowly on the trigger.....

Just my opinion.

02-01-2012, 1:35 PM
I got a St. Marie Clamp-on with a 4x Tasco on it. Its mounted offset, so I can still use the irons, and its pretty sweet. I wish I could find some 7.7 Swiss GP11 to feed my rifle so I can take it out more though!

02-01-2012, 1:43 PM
I wish I could find some 7.7 Swiss GP11 to feed my rifle so I can take it out more though!

Good luck finding a 7.7 Swiss GP11. However, there are plenty of 7.5 X 55 GP11.:)

02-01-2012, 1:50 PM
Good luck finding a 7.7 Swiss GP11. However, there are plenty of 7.5 X 55 GP11.:)

haha whoops! good looking out

02-01-2012, 2:38 PM
The scope is probably my best bet, but for the sake of being thorough...I tend to be rough but not abusive with my weapons. Is the diopter system physically robust? Or rather, how robust is it?

02-01-2012, 2:50 PM
AIM Surplus has it - I think at about 50 cents a round.

Oh... and Latigo, my post was in NO way a reflection on yours... I was actually getting ready to post it up and I see you beat me to the punch. But I'm not refuting your advice in any way shape or form - I'm not even 1/100000000000000000 qualified to do so!

02-01-2012, 3:21 PM
Ok Blitzer. I need that "never refuting my advice in any way shape or form" in writing, and start the page with "Dear Elizabeth" :D

The P/S Diopter is all steel and extremely rugged. You can damage anything on a rifle if you try hard enough, but a scope is far more fragile than that P/S.

BTW, Blitzer..... there's nothing in your post I would disagree with at all. Very perceptive.

02-01-2012, 7:37 PM
My K31 with a W+F clamp on rear and the front globe that slides over the front sight is probably my most accurate rifle. I shoot with the Swiss Athletics club here in Los Angeles at 200 yards. You can always swap out the front circle aperture with a post if that's more your thing.

02-02-2012, 5:50 AM
Froman, there are entire kits of front aperatures made that fit all of the 18mm front sights. Ours is threaded to accept the Gehmann adjustable aperature. Sort of pricey, but well worth it. I think it also fits the W+F and Wyss globes.