PDA

View Full Version : New leatherman tool, Brass knuckles?

YubaRiver
02-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Would this be one of those things that could get one in trouble for carrying
in your car in CA? An aluminum knuckle?

http://www.ondutygear.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/399875_316585685047273_122239001148610_859077_1376 463165_n.jpg

bigcalidave
02-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Doubtful, nothing on that resembles any of the prohibited possession items. However, if you say something stupid like, I keep that with me in case someone tries to F with me, you just changed the definition.

Jeepers
02-01-2012, 11:58 AM
looks like a seat belt knife that we used as EMT's in auto accidents

pbsmind
02-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Looks like a tool for cutting seatbelts to me.

Edit:
looks like a seat belt knife that we used as EMT's in auto accidents
Jeepers beat me to it. lol

davek8s
02-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Brass knuckles go over your knuckles. That seat belt cutter goes inside your palm.

Nick Justice
02-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Doubtful, nothing on that resembles any of the prohibited possession items. However, if you say something stupid like, I keep that with me in case someone tries to F with me, you just changed the definition.

Yup. A guy I knew was stopped for a traffic violation, the officer spotted one of those mini Dodger bats in the car, and asked: "What's that?. The guy picked it up and said: "This is my equalizer stick!" Result: Arrested.

OleCuss
02-01-2012, 12:54 PM
The thing is not much of a weapon. It's a tool and nothing else.

Wherryj
02-01-2012, 12:56 PM

Why would anyone say that? It's quite obvious that this is designed to cut a seat belt in case of an accident.

chris12
02-01-2012, 3:16 PM
Brass knuckles go over your knuckles. That seat belt cutter goes inside your palm.
In vs over doesn't matter

..."metal knuckles" means any device or instrument made wholly or partially of metal which is worn for purposes of offense or defense in or on the hand and which either protects the wearer's hand while striking a blow or increases the force of impact from the blow or injury to the individual receiving the blow. The metal contained in the device may help support the hand or fist, provide a shield to protect it, or consist of projections or studs which would contact the individual receiving a blow.

..."hard plastic knuckles" means any device or instrument made wholly or partially of plastic that is not a metal knuckle other than a medically prescribed prosthetic

.."hard wooden knuckles" means any device or instrument made wholly or partially of wood or paper products that is not metal knuckles
These definitions are what make me hate the PC. Almost anything could fit those definitions, you are just at the mercy of the LEO/DA/judge/jury. Motorcycle gloves, metal or wooden prosthetic (plastic ones are ok though), loose change, keys. Even a normal legal folding knife could help support the hand or fist, guess it is better in the legislatures eyes to stab someone with a knife then punch them with it.

Overall, I still think it would be low risk to carry in your car, just don't piss off your overlords and don't talk yourself into a conviction.

-hanko
02-01-2012, 9:13 PM
Would this be one of those things that could get one in trouble for carrying in your car in CA? An aluminum knuckle?
I'd worry more about the tinfoil here than the belt cutter :).

:TFH: :TFH: :TFH: