PDA

View Full Version : Intrafamily transfer Uncle to Nephew?

Irish Gunner
02-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I suspect that this won't fly, but I wanted to understand the process before it happens.

My Uncle is getting up in years and has about a half dozen long guns that I know about and I am unsure about handguns. My aunt will not be interested in keeping them and of my cousins one won't want them, the other can't legally have them. Leaving me as the most likely and certainly most interested person to get them.

I don't think that intrafamily transfer would be applicable, but I can hope somebody out there would have idea on best legal and cost effective method for me to legally take possession of them when the time comes.

Any help appreciated.

Ed_Hazard
02-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Intra family is direct line only, parent to son, Grandparent to son and such.

Sadly your Uncle cant use this to transfer to you.

Irish Gunner
02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
So that would mean a private party transfer. Would that require multiple DROS, transfer fees or are those per transaction even if there are say 6 rifles involved? I would hope not to have to pay $50-100 per rifle in transfer fees. I suspect some of them wouldn't be worth it in that case.

furyous68
02-01-2012, 10:29 AM
PPT transfers are $35 for the first gun... and I think $25 for each additional firearm included in the transaction (Do it all at once). The law code spells it out.. but I can't remember the section off hand. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

Decoligny
02-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Since the PC renumbering, nobody can remember the applicable section of the PC!

I am pretty sure that the information below is accurate, but I haven't reviewed the PC in a while.

Does your Uncle live in CA? If he does, then it should be a $25 fee for the state, and a max of $10 per firearm for the FFL for you to do a PPT, you can do them all on one DROS.

If he lives out of state, then it is a whole other ball of wax. $25 fee for the state and as much as the FFL wants to charge you.

Irish Gunner
02-01-2012, 11:15 AM
That's what I needed to know, thanks. We are both CA residents, but he doesn't know what I am planning. I figured he has another year or two where he will still enjoy them. I just wanted to plan in advance.

bigcalidave
02-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Not that I want to say it, but I believe that the transfer in inheritance wouldn't require an FFL at all. If that's the situation at hand, and he puts you as the receiver in his will, they just go to you. You would have to voluntary register any handguns though.

Irish Gunner
02-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Not that I want to say it, but I believe that the transfer in inheritance wouldn't require an FFL at all. If that's the situation at hand, and he puts you as the receiver in his will, they just go to you. You would have to voluntary register any handguns though.

Now that is an interesting idea and kind of goes to my "what if". His son would be restricted from owning any guns due to prior convictions. If he inherited them and had no reporting requirement that seems like a HUGE loophole and the only reason I could see for me not taking possession when the time comes.

bigcalidave
02-01-2012, 11:54 AM
It would be a crime for him to receive them as a prohibited person, making the transfer illegal. Inheriting them doesn't change his status as prohibited. You should discuss this with the uncle ahead of time, and make sure that you are specifically listed in the will for the firearms.

Irish Gunner
02-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Good advice, dying is a sensitive manner. I am going to make sure that he gives me first chance to buy if he gives up shooting/hunting. If not then we can look into being in the will.

taperxz
02-01-2012, 1:21 PM
Remember also, that if he is up in age, so might be some of the rifles. If they are 50 or older he can just give them to you. Not so for hand guns though.