PDA

View Full Version : Good place to buy flintlock rifles in Orange County?

MRbaker
02-01-2012, 8:08 AM
Greetings!

I hope I'm posting this in the right section, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good shops in Orange County to buy flintlock rifles. My grandpa is looking for one and I'm not really sure of a good place to look. I took him to the Costa Mesa gun show last weekend but he couldn't find any he liked. He would prefer an old original if he can find one in good shape, but is open to buying a reproduction if its well made.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

h0use
02-01-2012, 9:34 AM
its hard to find a shop that deals in blackpowder. basspro carrys a few blackpowder guns on there shelfs. but mostly have to get everything online, like dixiegun works, cabelas. basspro online. but i think basspro will have some to look at.

Rule .308
02-01-2012, 9:36 AM
Give the guy at Walker '47 a call. They are located at Hobby City, Beach and Ball in Anaheim.

Roundball
02-01-2012, 9:59 AM
Man, I used to go to this one shop up beach blvd from the 405, it was at some old town

lol never mind, Rule .308 above named it.. I took a call and there it is..

Roundball
02-01-2012, 10:05 AM
http://www.bighornmountainmen.com/about/about.html

Check this club out, they are based in Orange. Contact them and see if they know about any local places.

MRbaker
02-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it! I'm more of a modern firearm enthusiast so this old school stuff is new to me. LOL

Kauf
02-01-2012, 2:03 PM
try the local auction houses. cwocauctions.com and littlejohnsauctionservice.com they are having auctions in 3 weeks or so check them out

ROOS_HAPPENS
02-01-2012, 4:05 PM
My goodness, how things have changed in 40 years.The OC used to be the SoCal center-of-the-ML-universe, with the long defunct Flintlock gun store.

What kind of rifle is your grandfather looking for?
An antique flintlock REALLY needs to inspected by a qualified gunsmith, before being considered safe to fire.
Even then, there's the queasiness factor of firing 200 year old metallurgy inches from your head.

I'd advise buying a reproduction.

Have your grandfather pick out a style he likes.
Dixie would be a good place to start.

Once you've made your decision, ask online or seek out some folks from a ML club, about your intended purchase...and also for instructions about how to safely shoot a muzzle loader.
Flintlocks can be finicky, and nothing will dampen his fun like a gun with a bad lock.

tteng
02-01-2012, 4:49 PM
Try Muzzleloadingforum.com for everything front loading related topics (including for-sales). Ask your questions there and get educated before you plunge in. Flintlock is very fun but is kinda high-maintenanced fun (meaning, I got more accessories in my bag than my wife has in her makeup kit.), which is part of the fun itself- trying to get the lock, flint, patch, lube, right kind/amount of powder..etc all working together.

MRbaker
02-01-2012, 5:45 PM
My goodness, how things have changed in 40 years.The OC used to be the SoCal center-of-the-ML-universe, with the long defunct Flintlock gun store.

What kind of rifle is your grandfather looking for?
An antique flintlock REALLY needs to inspected by a qualified gunsmith, before being considered safe to fire.
Even then, there's the queasiness factor of firing 200 year old metallurgy inches from your head.

I'd advise buying a reproduction.

Have your grandfather pick out a style he likes.
Dixie would be a good place to start.

Once you've made your decision, ask online or seek out some folks from a ML club, about your intended purchase...and also for instructions about how to safely shoot a muzzle loader.
Flintlocks can be finicky, and nothing will dampen his fun like a gun with a bad lock.

I'll pass those suggestions on to him. I'm not sure what he knows about flintlocks already, but he just said he preferred original if he could find one in a good condition. He's old school and likes/collects all things old. He's rebuilt antique motorcycles for a living his whole adult life (Indian Scouts are his specialty) and is pretty knowledgeable on mechanical things, so he would definitely be leery of buying something original. He's also been into firearms his whole life and has a wide variety of them including antiques, muzzle loaders, cap and ball, etc. He said a flintlock is the only thing he doesn't have that he wants.

Thanks for all the info. I guess this is a good time for me to start learning about them too so I'll get to reading. Who knows, maybe I'll take a liking to them too. Not that I need a longer list of guns I'd like to own, I've got a big enough list already! LOL

tankerman
02-01-2012, 7:36 PM
Percussion and other sorts of black powder here (http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/Percussion-Rifles-c117.htm), they're located right off the 55 Fwy couple miles North of the 405.

Kruzr
02-01-2012, 9:55 PM
Give Walker 47 a call. They are no longer in the log cabin at Hobby City on Beach. They moved to 1201 E. Ball Road, west of State College Blvd.

MRbaker
02-02-2012, 8:56 AM
I reviewed all the options with my grandpa and we are going to check out Walker '47 and BassPro this weekend to look around and get an idea of what he likes. Thanks for all the help fellas!

Alan Block
02-02-2012, 7:00 PM
Military muskets
trade guns
fowlers
Pennsylvania (kentucky) rifles

Dixie, Cabellas and Bass Pro sell mostly Italian made replicas
Loyalist Arms has India made replicas
Track of the Wolf, TVM sell top quality flintlocks of most styles.

ghostly7
02-04-2012, 8:27 PM
I was just in walker 47 last week. I needed to buy a new nipple wrench. They do not have much in the way of black powder anymore. the store doesnt have nearly as much goods as it did when it first moved out of hobby city years ago. They had that shop that was up in fullerton area. It was huge. They werent moving enough volume and downsized back to hobby city, and now they moved again up off ball and east.

Longview
02-13-2012, 10:07 PM
I saw used ML's on the floor stand and several on the upper gun racks. There's an M39 there that's driving me crazy. They do enough research to get a good idea of the value of the rifle in question (darn them!).