PDA

View Full Version : Some questions regarding 30 inches overall length

Lych
01-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Would permanently attaching a bayonet keep things legal?
If im reading the flow chart right
Any semiauto rifle has to be 30 inches minimum in its shortest configuration to be ca legal
But other than the 16 inch barrel requirement is there a specific place that the length has to be added?
I see that most legal underfolder ak need a maglock and a 4 inch extension to meet the 30 inch overall to remain legal
or no barrel extension and a pinned/fixed stock
but does the length have to be on the barrel?
would a permanently attached bayonet count as adding length and keep it legal?
It would be welded on and not detach to meet the 30 inches folded.
Or is welding a pointy stick to the end of the gun just asking for trouble?

Actually the same question could apply to sub 16 in barrels on a federal level.
I mean for ar15s you have a 14.5 then you permanently attach a barrel extension to make it 16
Is there a law that requires the barrel extension to be a flashider, break, or comp or are they used because that's just what people want?
Would permanently attaching a bayonet to the barrel count as a barrel extension?
When you get down to it both are just cosmetic metal bits that add length and the end result should make the barrel reach the legal limit.
Then again gun laws are never that simple or logical so I ask for your advise.

ALSystems
02-01-2012, 12:32 PM
You are asking two different questions:

(1) How to extend a semiauto rifle to the minimum 30" overall length?
Pinned Folding stock/ fixed stock ok
Barrel extension such as flashider, break or comp is ok
A permenently attached bayonet should also work but this is asking for trouble.
A permanentlly attached cleaning rod would work but that might also be asking for trouble.

(2) How to extend a rifle barrel to the minimum 16"
Permanently attach a flashider, muzzle break/compensator or tube to the existing barrel is ok
Permanently attached bayonent would not count as part of the barrel length

This is my understanding.

bigcalidave
02-01-2012, 12:36 PM
To reach 16" barrel length has to be permanent, to reach 30" OAL does NOT... But that measurement should be made with all retractable things retracted.

bwiese
02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
To reach 16" barrel length has to be permanent, to reach 30" OAL does NOT... But that measurement should be made with all retractable things retracted.

^^THIS.

While permanence is NOT required for any length extensions to get to 30" min., I would NOT rely on 'clamp on', 'clip on', etc. accessories. These are too easy to have 'fall off' in a patrol car.

You really don't want a bayo hanging off the barrel for general shooting, can really affect accuracy.

Myself, if I needed to get to 30" min, I'd use a longer buttstock and/or a muzzle extension that screws on and I'd even use some thread lock or a setscrew with a weird head.

Remember that CA has a 26" min length for nonsemiauto centerfires and that if you get this wrong you risk SBR charges.

Ask Mr. Rooney how that worked for him.

Lych
02-01-2012, 2:58 PM
ok so a permanent bayonet wont satisfy federal law regarding barrel length but would work for CAs 30 inch law?

bwiese
02-01-2012, 3:01 PM
ok so a permanent bayonet wont satisfy federal law regarding barrel length but would work for CAs 30 inch law?

- It would solve Federal 26" OAL issue but not 16" Fed or CA barrel length

- It would solve CA 30" OAL issue.

- It's also plain friggin' stupid.

Why do you want a pendulous weight on your barrel affecting accuracy?

I've told you a muzzle device is likely best.

Sgt Raven
02-01-2012, 3:53 PM
- It would solve Federal 26" OAL issue but not 16" Fed or CA barrel length

- It would solve CA 30" OAL issue.

- It's also plain friggin' stupid.

Why do you want a pendulous weight on your barrel affecting accuracy?

I've told you a muzzle device is likely best.

Something like the flip up butt-plate on a M14 Rifle pinned open would add length but wouldn't affect you in use, just be a pain in the arse in storage.

Thinking about that, would that be a shoulder thing that goes up? :facepalm: :rofl:

bwiese
02-01-2012, 4:59 PM
Something like the flip up butt-plate on a M14 Rifle pinned open would add length but wouldn't affect you in use, just be a pain in the arse in storage.

Thinking about that, would that be a shoulder thing that goes up? :facepalm: :rofl:

That is friggin' hilarious when something turns out to be useful and tied into an antigun meme.

POLICESTATE
02-01-2012, 5:04 PM
That is friggin' hilarious when something turns out to be useful and tied into an antigun meme.

GEEEEEEEEEK!

Yeah agree on the permanently fixed bayonet being foolhardy.

I'd go with a semi-permanently attached flash-hider or comp on the end of the barrel to bring up to a minumim 30" OAL if you have an underfolding AK (otherwise there is no point in having an under folder in this state)

ALSystems
02-01-2012, 5:36 PM
There are several ways to increase the length of a rifle to meet the California 30" OAL Length.

Good Ideas: :)
(1-3 do not have to be permanently attached)
(1) Compensator/ Brake
(2) Flash suppressor
(3) Stock extension
(4) Pinned Folding Stock

Not so good ideas: :eek:
(5) Permanently attached cleaning rod protruding a few inches beyond the barrel. It would look strange but it would meet the requirement without adding a lot of wieght to the barrel.

(6) Permanently attached bayonet :facepalm: would work but attract a lot of unnecessary attention besides affect accuracy. Have to be careful when taking this out of a gun case.

(7) Pinned Folding Butt Plate (M14 style):stuart: would also technically meet the length requirement. Besides looking stupid, how do you plan to hold the rifle in this configuration?

(8) Attached Protruding Flashlight :ninja: or some other accessory to the bayonet lug, front rail or directly to the barrel, gas tube, tube magazine depending on the rifle model.

Sgt Raven
02-01-2012, 10:51 PM
There are several ways to increase the length of a rifle to meet the California 30" OAL Length.
....snip....

Not so good ideas: :eek:
(7) Pinned Folding Butt Plate (M14 style):stuart: would also technically meet the length requirement. Besides looking stupid, how do you plan to hold the rifle in this configuration?

Have you ever fired a rifle with a flip up buttplate? It sits on top of your shoulder when in use.