PDA

View Full Version : Probably a noob question but ...

Tyson
01-31-2012, 9:53 PM
I am currently piecing together two OLL builds (more like one at the moment). I bought two new 10 rd mags and to my surprize I can just slip an 11th rd in there WTH ? :confused:

Will it fire ? I have no idea as I don't have an Upper yet. I am a little freaked out honestly. They are D & H Industries with what I believe are Magpul anti tilt followers. any insight ?

huntercf
01-31-2012, 10:00 PM
You should maybe think about deleting this post and disassemble your mags.

Ron-Solo
01-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Take them back where you got them and get the correct one.

mdimeo
01-31-2012, 10:29 PM
You didn't commit any crime by buying them, and you aren't going to commit a crime by keeping them, or using them in a featureless rifle. DO NOT USE IN A BULLET-BUTTONED RIFLE!

PsychGuy274
02-01-2012, 4:30 AM
You didn't break any laws, but make sure you DO NOT put them in a BB'd rifle. That will trigger AW laws.

This happened to my buddy a while ago with an AK mag he bought at a gun show. He called the shop and told them about it and told them to check their mags to make sure they only held 10 rounds. Then he disassembled his and re-pinned it so he could use it in his AK.

tenpercentfirearms
02-01-2012, 6:33 AM
No need to freak out. Until you put them into a fixed magazine, semi-automatic centerfire rifle, you haven't broken any laws. I would take them back to where you got them and ask for replacements.

Mongoblack23
02-01-2012, 7:07 AM
or simply block them to the point where they only hold ten.... seems like the more simple solution....

IPSICK
02-01-2012, 7:42 AM
or simply block them to the point where they only hold ten.... seems like the more simple solution....

Unless they're 10/20 or 10/30 mags that are already epoxied and blocked...

tenpercentfirearms
02-01-2012, 9:31 AM

Remember the block must be permanent in order to be legally sound. However, will anyone actually take your magazines apart to see if they were permanently blocked? Only you can decide if that is a legal risk you are willing to take.

It is interesting that different types of followers or simply modifying a plastic follower can easily change your magazine capacity.

Tyson
02-01-2012, 10:19 AM
To clarify for some of the concerns mentioned, they are 10 rounders. no blocking or ect done or needed to be done as far as I thought. I bought them from a major store in the Sacramento area, I will try and contact him as far as replacements. If not, I will block them better. My only plan was to use them on BB'd rifles.

Thanks everyone.

mossy
02-01-2012, 11:55 AM
You should maybe think about deleting this post and disassemble your mags.

why he did not do anything wrong stop the FUD :facepalm: keep them if you want but dont use them in any rifle that has a bullet button.

Tyson
02-01-2012, 3:59 PM
UPDATE: I got an email back from the business today as follows:

Hi XXXXX,

You can force an 11th round in but that ultimately bends the feed lips and
deforms the plastic follower. All 10 round D & H mags are made to AR-15
specifications and hold a 10th round with additional play for proper rifle
function. Jamming an 11th round in is possible, but then the magazine does
not function properly. You will need to contact the manufacturer for a
replacement if yours easily holds an 11th round. Here is their info:
http://www.dhmetalstamping.com/magazines.htm &
http://www.dhmetalstamping.com/directions.htm

Best Regards,

XXXXX XXXXXXX
Owner
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

I guess at this point I could try and modify them to be certain however I just don't see the day when an LEO would take my mag out and feed in 10 rounds. I am not saying it couldn't happen just very unlikely. Its not as if I bought them knowing they were hi caps and I see his reasoning in the explanation it does take a decent amount of for to get that last round in. I think I will try and contact the manufacturer and see what they will do.

tonelar
02-01-2012, 9:13 PM
There needs to be some play for a loaded magazine to seat in a rifle with the bolt closed. Just because you can force an 11th round into it doesn't make it an 11 round magazine.

12voltguy
02-01-2012, 9:54 PM
There needs to be some play for a loaded magazine to seat in a rifle with the bolt closed. Just because you can force an 11th round into it doesn't make it an 11 round magazine.

yup
I have 10rd 9mm ar mags
won't go into masgwell & lock unless I take it down to 9rds
I have reverse problem, lol

tenpercentfirearms
02-02-2012, 8:15 AM

Can you cite penal code or case law reference to this opinion?

This is very much an undecided issue.

The DOJ has told me over the phone that if it is marketed as a 10 round magazine, it is a ten round magazine, but that doesn't mean they can't prosecute your or your DA can't prosecute you for it.

jimx
02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
The DOJ has told me over the phone

The 8 most dangerous words on this forumů