PDA

View Full Version : Bureaucratic Justification for preventing law abiding citizens from getting guns

voiceofreason
01-31-2012, 7:57 PM
Emily Miller testifies before the D.C. City Council

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/jan/31/miller-my-testimony-dc-city-council-video/

Ding126
01-31-2012, 8:46 PM
Calif doesn't seem so bad after reading what that poor lady has to go through. Someone needs to get SCOTUS slapped BIG TIME

Librarian
01-31-2012, 8:46 PM
They'll get right on fixing their process, after they write the check to Gura.

hoffmang
01-31-2012, 9:38 PM
They'll get right on fixing their process, after they write the check to Gura.

Which one? :43:

-Gene

yellowfin
01-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Does anyone other than me see a resemblance between Mendelson and Mr. Burns from The Simpsons?

truthseeker
01-31-2012, 10:40 PM
That process is out of control!

hoffmang
01-31-2012, 10:43 PM
That process is out of control!

Yes and no. Yet again DC is walking back on its gun laws. Little noticed was that DC changed its laws so that it was clear of Mr. Gura's most recent suit in Lane. This round is to take issues that are likely losers off the table from the Heller II suit. Surprisingly but positively, I expect DC to get rid of some of the seriously pointless requirements as well.

DC will become as or more easier to own a gun in than California on pain of court losses and paying legal fees or by simply changing their laws to become compliant. They're beginning to understand that.

-Gene

safewaysecurity
01-31-2012, 10:51 PM
I actually just watched the whole 4 hour and 30 minute hearing. I didn't like what I heard. Even the pro-gun folks sounded like anti-gunners at times. I wish we had some NRA pros there but it's not like they would change of the council members minds. I was cringing at times because the people being asked questions by Mendelson didn't know the answers to what he was asking and when Mendelson wrongfully challenged and pressed them on a constitutional issue I just wish I was there to prove him wrong. I didn't like that the supposed pro-gun people were talking about how absolutely essential it is to have firearms training. You really don't need "training". As long as you know the basic of how to fire, load, and safely handle that's all you need if you're a grandma that just wants a .38 revolver to stow away in your bedside drawer. I haven't had any formal training but could probably out shoot most police officers. It's possible to train yourself and learn from watching others or having a buddy teach you a thing or two. Now if I were to carry concealed I would take a class but that's MY choice because I think that's what's best for me and I will choose the time frame ect.

safewaysecurity
01-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Here's the full video btw if anyone is interested in wasting over 4 hours of their life http://dc.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=1033

Gray Peterson
01-31-2012, 10:59 PM
What's funny here is that Police Chief Lanier flat out said that 4 hours of training was too much for handgun possession in the home. She also states that she wants MPD to provide civilian training as well. I'm hoping it's gratis, if you offer a free alternative to the market when you require it, it lowers the pressure down. Gun instructors should understand training requirements as a privilege to them, not a right.

safewaysecurity
01-31-2012, 11:16 PM
What's funny here is that Police Chief Lanier flat out said that 4 hours of training was too much for handgun possession in the home. She also states that she wants MPD to provide civilian training as well. I'm hoping it's gratis, if you offer a free alternative to the market when you require it, it lowers the pressure down. Gun instructors should understand training requirements as a privilege to them, not a right.

Yeah I found that a bit odd. She said an instructional video would suffice. I don't know why an anti-gunner like her would support an idea to make the process less complicated.

pc_load_letter
01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm in love with Emily. So well spoken. I understand her frustration and I'm not even in DC.

Won't be looking for jobs there any time soon.

press1280
02-01-2012, 3:05 AM
What would help lower the training costs is for DC to accept any NRA course(inside or outside of the district) as proof of training. Many can be had for under 100$. Also, Miller's idea for the MP having their own FFL(charging a typical 25$ or so transfer fee) could add a little dough or even an extra job or two.
You complete a training class, have a gun transferred to MP headquarters, when you pick it up it's automatically registered. Much simpler, of course I prefer the walk into gun store,pick gun, do NICS, pay for gun, walk out. But this is DC we're talking about.