View Full Version : Slide swap as a way around the roster???

01-31-2012, 11:10 AM
So lets say somebody wants an off-list Beretta, like a 92D or a Centurion.
Can they send an out of state seller a 92FS slide assembly, have him swap slides, and have it sent in to California and dros'ed as a 92FS? The Beretta makes and models are all on the slide.

In some circumstances, it would effectively become that 92FS model, as there would no difference in the lower (except for a traceable serial number). In other cases, like where you put the 92FS slide on a 92D lower, it won't. But all markings for make and model (which are on the slide) would indicate an on list gun.

Probably not kosher, but thought I'd ask.....Its slightly less work than an SSE, and for some models where you don't want to butcher a barrel.....

01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Sweet idea.

01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
You don't need an FFL to send/receive slide or barrel. The part that is DROS-ed is the part with the serial number and that is the only part considered a firearm. If you transfer an on-roster 92FS, you are good to go with the slide upgrade without an FFL.

On the other hand, if you want to transfer another firearm which is not a 92FS, but is *like* 92FS you are pushing your FFL. They *can* cannot (per Librarian below) transfer a bare bone lower and claim it is a 92FS, but my understanding is that most of them won't, particularly if it comes in the box which says "not a 92FS" - if they know it is not a 92FS it would be too risky to transfer it as one. Not sure that any FFL would consider transferring a bare bone lower without the paperwork saying what it is.

Just my 2c.

01-31-2012, 11:36 AM
FFL can't transfer just a lower/frame unless the receiver is exempt from the Roster; only complete guns are on the Roster.

Similarly, a hybrid such as has been suggested will not be on the Roster.

01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
illegal, but nice idea :) creative, very creative. I would ask, why all that trouble for a tricked out 92FS ;), just get a better gun.

01-31-2012, 11:48 AM
You are skirting by the "we can't tell the difference", which is not an exemption.

Tracing the gun would reveal its history and an argument could be made that it is not that gun esp as mfg tax etc was paid on a different model of arm.

By contrast the SSE completely bypasses the Roster instead of gaming it and is the 'clean' solution.

Now, if this came up in court we could go play with DOJ and expose their huge Harrott-like problems with the Roster, their games with the 3 generations of Glocks, etc.

You'd likely not get in trouble but they could cause trouble for your FFL.

01-31-2012, 11:51 AM
You'd likely not get in trouble but they could cause trouble for your FFL.right, but could/should the FFL be expected to notice that appears to be an off-roster 92FS is actually a fake?

01-31-2012, 12:10 PM
just get a better gun.
I'm just using the Beretta as an example. Don't worry, I go to my HK....

right, but could/should the FFL be expected to notice that appears to be an off-roster 92FS is actually a fake?
In some cases, he couldn't. The frames are identical. Only the slides are different. (again, in some cases).

When you swap slides though, it BECOMES the new (on list) model. Done out of state where it doesn't matter.

But I suppose with the bold bit below, this is all an academic exercise anyway....

any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends any unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.

01-31-2012, 4:20 PM
This all seems like kind of a moot point though...
If it is really that easy to change over to the gun you want (I.e. from a On list 92fs to an Off List 92D), then why not just buy the on list one and convert it yourself once you got it by adding the new slide?

Kinda like doing an SSE just to get a two tone model of something. Awful lot of hassle, considering how well GunKote and Alumahyde work. :shrug:

For example... I wanted a P226 without the rail, made in Germany, with an e2 grip and SRT with short trigger. Soo.... I got the used p226, and added all those parts myself. No need to try and bring in an e2 "disguised" as a regular p226 or do an SSE. The Roster is only really an issue if you have something with collectors value or that is totally new and unavailable here. Just my .02...

01-31-2012, 4:29 PM
right, but could/should the FFL be expected to notice that appears to be an off-roster 92FS is actually a fake?

You have a point, unless he's a "participant".

01-31-2012, 4:31 PM
The whole single-shot/single action revolver exemption process indeed has the "... shall not apply" language referring to the rest of the unsafe handgun law.

Which is why it's so nice.